Reports from Philomena (Sci-Fi WIP, 46K words, Prologue complete!) Last Update: June 7, 2018

science-fiction
nonbinary-inclusive
gender-choice

Hey, hello, hi!

So I’ve been working on this book for a solid minute now and decided it’s high time I post about it. It’s a light-hearted sci-fi and much different from the dark fantasy I usually write, but I adore the plot and characters too much to let it go. Here’s the link to the demo if you’re interested in checking it out! I have 46K words including code so far, and a playthrough is 5K words. I write and update frequently, so that number is gonna get a lot bigger soon.

Plot of this book:

You’re a bartender on the planet Philomena’s major city, brilliantly named Philomena City. You run the Rabbit Hole, a fairly small bar near the city’s port, making it a frequented place for weary travelers fresh off shuttles.

Oh, and also for smugglers.

And pirates.

And the many, many, many other criminals who use Philomena as a base of operations.

Philomena is far outside the reach of the Empire or any organized government and has become a haven for the lawless. But word on the street is the Empire is trying to get the planet under its control.

And that’s where you come in.

You’re a field agent working for The Imperial Intelligence Agency, sent on a long-term undercover mission to Philomena. You’re stationed as a bartender and have been tasked with compiling reports on the state of the planet and on its many criminal inhabitants, many of whom frequent your bar. The most worrisome of these criminals right now is a smuggler named Jay Lacroix, who just so happens to adore getting drunk at the Rabbit Hole. So now you just have to figure out how to avoid all the trouble your patrons predictably bring with them while avoiding suspicion as you write your reports and carry on with your assignment…

Other features:
  • Choice! Lots of it! Too much of it actually, but who cares!
  • Character customization. So far I’ve included eye color, hair color and style, tattoos and the option to change those for a disguise, and I intend on adding piercings, skin color, cybernetics, prosthetics and stuff like freckles, glasses and height options. But I use code I affectionately refer to as “the hell code” so its gonna take a solid minute to add the rest.
  • I have at least 5 planned ROs for this, and I keep. Adding. More. So hey! Something for everyone!
  • More to be added cause this book is ambitious and I am filled with foolish human ambition.
Update log:
  • April 30, 2018: Original demo posted, woo! (27K words)
  • May 10, 2018: Updated! Added red hair, and a the option to visit the cafe. (33.5K words)
  • May 27, 2018: Updated! Bug fixes with the tattoo options and the scene before leaving for the shuttle station. (33.5K words)
  • May 28, 2018: Updated! More bug fixes and the drink system posted! (36K words)
  • May 29, 2018: Updated! More bug fixes and posted the house drink making system! (36K words)
  • June 7, 2018: Updated! More bug fixes and finished the prolgue! (46K words)

That’s all I have to say right now, and I’d love to hear what you guys think of this! Any suggestions, improvements, any options you think I should add, and anything you have to say I’d love to hear. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Looking good so far!

Glad you like it!:+1::+1:

Looks intresting. Can’t wait to see more :slight_smile:

Solid writing, interesting premise and has humour. Please do keep writing! :relaxed:

Need some red head options really like everything so far.

I’m happy you’re both enjoying it BUT I KNEW I WAS FORGETTING SOMETHING WITH THE HAIR OPTIONS :V

Love it :heart_eyes:!who will the ro’s be? Love sci fi mwahahahahaha!!

Oh, I thought that was a red herring… :smirk:

I’ll see myself out now. :sweat_smile:

Can people get banned on the grounds of terrible puns???:thinking::thinking:

Well the only planned RO you guys know of is gonna be Jay Lacroix, cause who doesn’t want want to romance Han Solo?

Undercover bartender? Sounds fun.

Ayep! I’m also working on a drink mixing system! Like the potion system from my other game, Planes, just less eye of newt and toe of frog. If anyone wants to make up a drink to be added, feel free! @princecatling made one called “Disaster Zone”, its a super sweet red drink with crushed candy on the rim and like a 90% alcohol content and it will 100% mess you up.:smile::smile:

May I suggest a drink called the Atmosphere? It could be one of those layered cocktails where you pour different ingredients on top each other one by one.

Oooooooooooooooooooooh!!! I love that idea! It could be white and blue like clouds and the sky, maybe! Or maybe a dark blue/purple one with like edible glitter stars! What about flavor? Is it sweet, fruity, sour? I love it tho and I am 100% adding it!

Also, @MeltingPenguins made a drink called the “Molten Penguin”. It’s 6 shots of espresso, a shot of vodquila, and star anise liqueur. The cocktail is black on the bottom and foggy white on the top and very bitter. Also set on fire, thus the name.

Definitely the second one because glitter makes everything better and I think a more nighttime-ish theme/vibe would suit a bar better. As far as flavor, maybe that could be layered as well? I’m thinking sweet to sour or the reverse.

I LOVE IT. And I can use that first one too, call it Daylight or something. :smile:

a draught of drought :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I’d been banned the first day here then. :crazy_face:

A draught of [sudden] draft (airlock ‘accident’). :grimacing:

A drink called Firesword. Part Fireball whiskey and part vodka.