"Relics of the Lost Age" Post-Release Discussion Thread

So, this is nothing major, just something that caught my eye, and also more of a question out of curiosity than pointing it out or something, lol.

So uhh in this passage, it mentions Bangladeshi textiles, but since the London story is in iirc 1937, shouldn’t it still be saying India? Since it wasn’t really “separate” til 1947 after the partition of India and Pakistan, and even later wasn’t officially called Bangladesh til I think 1971 or 1972. Was the name Bangladesh known as the name for that region popularly enough in the 1930s?

2 Likes

Yes, you are right,in 1937 it was only india,because partition had not happened yet.
And Bangladesh name was taken in 1971 after 1971 War.
I think the proper term will be Bengali textiles.

I think it existed as a regional name long before the creation of the modern nation (quick skim of Wiki suggests first used in the 11th Century)

Edit: obviously I might be wrong. If someone knows more about the region’s historic terminology than me, let me know, I’d be happy to change it in a future update!

3 Likes

To my limited knowledge, you are correct @Schliemannsghost – besides, naming conventions need to work for modern readers as well, and your choice works perfectly well for this purpose too.

2 Likes

The more correct term will be Bengali textiles, because partition of India happened in 1947 and before partition that region was known as Bengal,Bangladesh name was taken in 1971 after 1971 Independence movement.

2 Likes

Hmmm I see. Thank you and everyone else for the answers. I’ll dig into it more for myself…if I stop procrastinating.

2 Likes

Not exactly Bangladeshi Textiles but IMO it should be Dhaka or Bengali Textiles. Bengal was the biggest producer of textiles even before the British came to India and Dhaka was the biggest center. It’s really a tragic story, the story of these textiles is marred with blood and British called these as “Dhaka dresses” or calicos which were another type of Indian clothes. Use #Threadtalk on Twitter to know more.

2 Likes

How do you get objection achievement, what is the correct inconsistency

1 Like

In the police station, you see that Elliot has signed the register of detainees with an X, indicating that he’s illiterate. But there was written text at the crime scene. So pick “the register of detainees” from the police station, and “the written messages” from the crimescene. Elliot can’t have written “Hail Satan”, because he doesn’t know how to write.

4 Likes

I’m finally nearing the end of the game!

So far, it’s been a great ride and it’s quickly becoming one of my favorites. The only conplain I have, and it might just be me, but sometimes it felt like the shooting skill was a lot more favoured compared to others.

Other than that, it’s been fun.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m really happy that you liked it! Yeah, I tried to keep a good balance between the stats, but there are, like, a lot of gunfights in that book, so I can’t deny that Gunplay is a really useful stat!

4 Likes

One thing to look at in this is that gunplay should be op as one of the most iconic scenes in cinematic history came when a swordsman was gunned down by the character who is the inspiration for this story.

3 Likes

Hehe, you can even echo that scene quite closely with Titus O’Shea in Chapter 3!

But it’s certainly possible to complete the game without Gunplay. In playtesting, I played it through with a range of different builds, including builds that didn’t focus on Gunplay at all. I tried to make sure that there were always ways to get through the gunfights without relying on that stat and I also threw in one chapter (3) in which Gunplay gets you very little at all, so much so that Gunplay fans actually complained about that chapter when I put it up as a demo!

6 Likes

Yeah I’m also doing a playthrough without gun skills, and honestly it hasn’t been bad at all, just that I feel at points that there’s a lot more choices for it than other stats. Otherwise it’s been fun so far.

1 Like

if anything, reactions is probably more important then gunplay from what I’ve noticed

2 Likes

A subterfuge-reactions build with some athleticism (whenever the other two aren’t an option) and historian specialization got me through virtually every check except maybe 1 in the first book. In case anyone is wondering

3 Likes

Agree. Subterfuge-reactions combo is my go to. But I add gunplay as the third skill because sometimes athleticsm and reactions went side by side.

2 Likes

Probably a better combo. Gunplay & Reactions and subterfuge & reactions are commonly used together. I just liked the fun of sprinting up to Nazis and knocking them out

1 Like

I loved the game. I read through some comments about some things not being “Historically Accurate”; well, the thing is, as much as the author writes using accurate historical settings, they’re not obligated to go 100% all the way, after all it is a fiction story. From everything that I got through my playthroughs, to me (a person who loves to read and study about human history and such) it was very well written. (I do not claim to be an PHd or anything, I read and study for a hobby.) About NB persons (Sam and the Amazonian) and queer characters for example, to be 100% historic accurate on the story it would be truly bad, because it would make the narrative much more dark and sad, and I believe that was not the author’s intention. I grew up watching Indiana Jones movies and imagining myself as an intrepid archeologist saving and discovering relics and beating bad guys, and this game delivered me this opportunity in an awesome way!
I must say that there are some minor spelling errors in some parts, I can write then down here later.
Some things got me confused though; In the 30’s London there were Italian Mob? (gotta look about that, I found very interesting) To me it was a little bit confusing all the chapter of London, maybe rereading I can understand better. One thing that I was hoping for would be more character customization, like hair type, length, color, eye color, etc. I love making those. (I know it’s silly.)
Of all the chapters, my favourite was of the central africa. MY GOD. It was so nerve wracking and thrilling, I was on my toes the entire chapter. I must say that I almost reseted the game twice at this point because I wanted to chance my choices.
I must say I was hoping for some adventure on South America (It’s my home, I must give preference! :laughing: ) but the end of the game and what I’ve read here makes me believe that maybe we’ll see some South American adventure next; hoping for it!!
I digress, damn I wrote a lot. I loved it, thank you and I’ll be waiting for the second book!!

3 Likes

Thanks for your kind comments, I’m so happy that you enjoyed it.

My model for the Gianturco family in Chapter 5 was a genuine early-20th Century Italian organized crime outfit in London, the Sabini gang. (They appear in the TV series Peaky Blinders, but they weren’t invented by the show, they were a real gang from the time). And you can go to Mexico in the second book, which isn’t South America but I guess it’s close! I plan for this to be a trilogy, and I have a South American location marked out for the third book.

5 Likes