Relics 3: Ashes for Gold UPDATED 15th October, Final Update, see Post 741 for details

You know when I first read Percy Jackson series, I had only one qualm about it, that was bad haikus of Apollo who’s the literal god of poetry. I know you will surpass Rick Riordan in that regard. Can’t wait.

1 Like

You make it sound like the haiku‘s weren’t supposed to be bad on purpose, that’s the vibe I got, at least

2 Likes

Chapter 6 is progressing. In the meantime, you might like this article: some real Book 3 Chapter 4 vibes here!

[After 350 years, sea gives up lost jewels of Spanish shipwreck | Archaeology | The Guardian]

11 Likes

I like that the finds stay in the Bahamas - do you know if this is due to Bahamas-specific legislation? I was under the impression that a considerable fraction of maritime salvage belonged to the owner of the ship.

Much to my joy, the sea is still fully holding on to the tons of platinum the Spaniards threw away.

1 Like

The bit about the coral makes me really sad. That, imho, used to be more of a treasure than the jewels they found.

Unless the government itself sells them off to billionaires, which is why Allen is seemingly sponsoring that museum in the hopes of keeping all together for at least a few decades.

3 Likes

@jbento heres some reading on the subject if your interested LEGAL RIGHTS OF A RECREATIONAL DIVER - Dive Lawyer but usually it depends on the government of the country it’s found in.

3 Likes

Lil Chapter 6 preview for you all!

In Chapter 6, you and your old pal Dominique have to air-drop onto the Japanese island of Hokkaido, in a race against time to intercept the handover of the final Archive from the Japanese authorities who currently possess it to their Nazi allies. Luckily, Uncle Sam is on your side, and they ain’t sending you into this deadly mission alone. Here are the companions you will be taking along with you on this suicide run:

Sergeant Joel Kaminski: A loud, angry, violent bully from the US Marines, who really doesn’t like not getting his way. Expect him to cause you all kinds of problems en route!

Private First Class Seb Calloway: Kaminski’s laid-back compadre, a man who loves, in his own words, “a beer at the end of the day, a good hand of poker and accommodatin’ ladies with big ole titties.” He seems unruffled by anything. But are there hidden depths behind his easygoing exterior?

First Lieutenant Callum O’Brien: A jumpy, anxious pilot whose nerves have been shredded by one too many dangerous bombing runs, he’s the guy responsible for getting you safely to your drop-zone.

Second Lieutenant Clay Hendricks: The co-pilot. This is his first flight out of pilot training, and he’s crippled by doubts about his abilities.

Lieutenant Jalen Johnson: The navigator. An Ivy League college student who volunteered, hoping that his expertise in Japanese language and culture might be useful, but who instead got sent to pilot training. He didn’t take to flying, so he washed out and retrained as a navigator instead. [Winner of the Million Word Tumblr name a character competition!]

Corporal Harry Docherty: The top turret gunner on the bomber that will fly you into Japan. An experienced fighter, and a loud, proud Boston Irishman.

12 Likes

Yesssssss!
Also, I just got a message from Dominique: “Who are you calling old?” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

why do I get the feeling that at least one of these guys is going to stab us in the back and most of the others are going to die agonizing deaths?

4 Likes

This chapter is a war movie, and those are the rules.

I think this might be Docherty’s last mission before he retires …

7 Likes

I know how this goes, the guy who’s about to retire always dies… via some form of self sacrifice

5 Likes

Since Japan came up, I want to ask(if not too spoilery) if Japnese are going to attack Eschetos if it is still standing? Will it come up in discussion?

2 Likes

Probably not. Part of the set-up for Chapter 6 is that the Japanese don’t seem to know anything about the Most High or the carxite (if they did, they certainly wouldn’t be just handing over an Archive to the Nazis, allies or not!), so they probably wouldn’t have enough info to specifically target Eschatos. They did, of course, take over Hong Kong and its surrounding waters, but the British sealed the cave and removed any trace of the vault from the surface before they withdrew from the island (I think Anderson mentions that in a conversation early in Book 3, but that might be a false memory!)

8 Likes

I’m skimming through the early chapters but I don’t see any mention of that

1 Like

Just checked. It’s in Interlude 2 - but you only get that dialog if you let the scientists study the island. (Although I suppose if you destroyed the island, it wouldn’t matter, since there’s nothing there for the Japanese to find!)

6 Likes

That would be it, then, I didn’t get that far

1 Like

Got to ask chief is this more dirty dozen or bridge on the river kwai?

2 Likes

Dirty Bridge on the River Dozen.

3 Likes

With Dominique, who is K(a)wai?

2 Likes

Oh thats a level of possible character deaths thats deeply troubling. Nice to see there’s another fan of the old school out there though can’t wait to see this one chief.

Also @JBento i hate how on point that is nice one :slight_smile:

3 Likes