Relics 2: The Crusader's Tomb UPDATED 26 April 2021 - Chapter 6 (post 598 for details!)

Esme and Maria sounds like a high-wire act for sure; I think Cleo would strangle Maria within 24 hours.

5 Likes

Is Maria into sharing the MC, or does she think she’s the best the MC will get? Cause I remember that was said about her before.

3 Likes

something I noticed in the first game that could use addressing in the second is that for both esme and Abdul it feels like spillane is second fiddle no matter what relationship you go with. Esme says it best when she is first describing her and Abdul’s relationship she says something along the lines of “we allow each other distractions and fully committed relationships.” The way she says it kinda expresses how both she and Abdul react to spillane if they are in relationship together. That is to say as though spillane is a distraction to other person, be it abdul or esme,in the relationship.

Honestly more time dedicated to interacting with the ROs would likely naturally fix this.

3 Likes

Hey @Schliemannsghost I’ve got to ask any plans for a certain SS defector to make an appearance. It would be nice to see someone who turned their life around come back in some way and Doc Spillane could always use another friend.

4 Likes

I get where you’re coming from, but if we’re being honest — Spillane is for sure the secondary relationship. Backreading a bit on the locked Relics 1 WIP thread might clarify the author’s intentions for the Esme-Abdul relationship.

Esme and Abdul had already been together for a while before they even knew Spillane existed.
A Spillane trying to get with either/both of them, then demanding to take precedence romantically (after less than a month total of face-to-face interaction!) seems kinda…entitled, don’t you think?

In-game, E and A are both clear on where they stand with each other and where Spillane would stand as a potential addition. I’m not sure if any more special RO interactions would remove the sort of “elephant in the room,” per se. Their thoughts on the matter won’t change.

Esme and Abdul might always choose each other, but that doesn’t mean they can’t care for Spillane too, albeit in a different way. It’s definitely not ideal for every Spillane (it’s sure as hell not my Spillane’s cup of tea), but that’s how it is for now.

Maybe Relics 2 might change things up — who knows?

1 Like

I understand where you’re coming from and thought the same. Been then the question becomes why stay if you arent getting out even half the effort of the relationship you put In. That is to say it’s silly to say one is open to a fully committed relationship and then not actually make any attempt to so. I personally liked Cleo and Maria more if we are honest. but I’d be lying I didn’t say I see potential in E&A

3 Likes

game-wise, involvement with E&A secures you a “relationship” ending while allowing you to sleep around pretty much guilt-free lol. not all Spillanes seek one singular person to be emotionally and/or physically intimate with :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

3 Likes

Yeah, if you manage the incredible feat of persuading Maria to stop hating you and be with you (or even to be with you while kinda continuing to hate you), she’s going to be pretty possessive I think, so prob not into the idea of the MC having other partners!

As for Esme and Abdul, obviously their arrangement isn’t for everybody, but it will work for some players (and players who have that poly philosophy when it comes to relationships aren’t often catered for in these games, so I’m happy that I can offer them something!) I definitely don’t agree with the idea that being with one of them means you get less than you give. They’re not hypocritical about this at all: the player will have exactly the same freedom that they have to pursue other people.

But who knows, by the end of the sequel, maybe things with them might have changed some …?

13 Likes

I’m not entirely sure the relationship is as much poly as is it open at the moment. As poly does imply love and or some degree even if its merely emotional commitment. My only thing is it would to some degree feel nice to be treated as something a slight bit more permanent or long term of that Is what is decided.

3 Likes

I also should clarify I meant I like Cleo and Maria’s character interactions more than E&A’s. Not that I wanted to pair the two. They would likely kill spillane and themselves if you put them all together in such a fashion.

2 Likes

First of all, I want to say I really love the Relics 2 demo so far! It still has the great writing and sense of humor from the first game. I lol’d when I saw someone in the thread referring to this as The Amazing Race.

Piggybacking off the most recent comments, personally, I also felt unsatisfied by the relationship b/w Esme and my Spillane. Honestly, it’s probably just my fault since I’m not into poly relationships (but Cleo rejected me and Zhu is crazy so what could I do, plus how could I resist the big Lara Croft vibes that Esme gives off ¯_(ツ)_/¯). I do feel a lot like Esme’s side piece (which I guess I am). I think this might stem from the fact that Esme also has Abdul, while it seems like my Spillane is just seeing Esme and no one else. Since it’s an open relationship, maybe it would be nice to have more opportunities for Spillane to sleep around/see other people, even if it’s just with unimportant characters. Honestly, I’m just thinking out loud. I trust you know what’s best/most true to your characters and the game!

And I know someone asked a similar question earlier but I’m still kind of confused, sorry! So choosing the option about your romantic status with your Relics 1 RO (still dating vs broken up) at the very beginning locks you in for the rest of the game? So if you chose you were still dating that RO then you can’t break up later and pursue a new RO?

3 Likes

How did you manage that? :laughing: I didn’t flirt with her even once, I never chose the “I’m attracted to her” options, and my Spillane was spiritual which drove her up the wall — and still, come Congo she’s all like “I thought we had chemistry :point_right: :point_left: :pleading_face:

6 Likes

No idea! Flirted with her whenever I could but in the end she said something along the lines about not knowing me well enough. I guess it just wasn’t mean to be ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Is that even possible?

1 Like

You could pick break up and bring Sam instead and flirt with Maria.

2 Likes

I think that is the major problem. The MC’s relationship with Esme is a new one, it is not on the same level as her relationship with Abdul, they have been together for years while time and distance kept Esme and MC apart. It brings the sensation that she doesn’t have the same feeling for you as she has for Abdul, making the player insecure about the relationship.
Esme/Abdul romance is not for everyone, I know it is not for me, so I think it would be better if you replayed and date a Cleo, she is an awesome character and a good partner to have.

1 Like

You can flirt with other people if you are in a relationship with Esme and bring her with you in the sequel. You can even, in principle, start a relationship with them. In practice, whether or not this is possible will depend on the other person and whether or not they’re happy with such an arrangement. But if they’re not, you might still be able to sleep with them!

EDIT: @hyperops I hope this answers your question too, Yes, you will have the chance to explore other ROs in the sequel if you’re in a relationship with Esme!

7 Likes

Sounds like the way to go! I always love a good enemies to lovers relationship.

And yes, @Schliemannsghost, you did answer my question, thanks!

2 Likes

Oi @Schliemannsghost would Maria still act like an arrogant ass if MC starts a relationship /flirting with her?!?:roll_eyes::thinking::smirk_cat:

1 Like

Ahh, you’ll have to wait and see!

4 Likes