Recommendations for fantasy novels with romantic subplots?

Hi all!

Since this is a community of readers, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good fantasy novel/series! I love the genre, so of course some of my favorite Choicescript games were things like The Lost Heir Trilogy, Choice of the Deathless, Champion of the Gods, Pendragon Rising, Saga of the North Wind, etc. My problem is, I also love romantic subplots in those types of novels or games, and well-done ones are hard to find! And the thing is, I hate the genre of fantasy romance, at least with those bodice-rippers that don’t have that strong of an overall plot to carry the romance (or call it what you will, the sex scenes).

Have you read a great fantasy series that also had a great romance you happened to like? I feel like I’ve covered a lot of the greats or the classics, so I’m good in terms of Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Robin McKinley, Tamora Pierce, Sherwood Smith, Sharon Shinn, Tolkien, etc. Thanks for any suggestions you may give me! :slight_smile:

And if you have any Choicescript games in mind that fit the bill too, please point me their way!

The Queen’s Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner! One of my fave series (and also where my user name is from). Book 5 (I think?) comes out later this moth so I just started my reread. It’s such a fun series because you never really know where your favorite characters will end up. I high recommend it!

And I LOVE the romance in the novels but it’s pretty understated. It’s very done imo.

Ooh thank you for the recommendation!! I’ve heard the name Megan Whalen Turner but I don’t think I’ve heard of the Queen’s Thief. I’m adding it to my list now, thanks! :smiley:

Rosamond Hodge’s novels are excellent–she writes adaptations of fairy tales. Naomi Novik’s Uprooted is also very good.

I will suggest Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. It is pretty good and enaging. I suppose it isn’t completely romantically​ focused, but it had a great plot, and still had suprising romatic things happen.

Not sure if you still want a book but just in case you do Id say Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes.