Rating System

I was just curious if anybody’s ever suggested a rating system for the games on the site before? Like a 1-5 star thing that the readers can vote with, just to give people a general idea of which games are most popular. I think it could be useful, but I’d like to know what other people think of the idea, if there’s drawbacks to it or if it’d just be too complicated and time-consuming to implement.

There are ratings left on all the platforms (Apple, Google Chrome, Amazon and Android) Personally, I think the system is necessary but very cruel. Only about 20% of the people who enjoy the gamebooks leave ratings whereas, I’m sure, 99% of the people who dislike them leave bad ratings. Because of this, averages appear to be far lower than they really are.

Oh, okay. I find it strange that the platforms have rating systems, but they don’t have any for the “Play online” versions. And yeah, I find that with books too. Even if a book is rated really, really highly, all the reviews will be from angry people that hated the books and want to rant about how stupid it is that everybody else actually enjoys it :stuck_out_tongue:

@Briar_Rose
I think a link to the online demo’s should be provided in the gamebooks’ descriptions. It would boost sales and ratings.

Exactly :stuck_out_tongue: that’s why I wish more people would leave reviews. As of now, all of the averages are deceptively lower than the actual qaulity

@Havenstone
I count 4s and 5s as “enjoyed it.” 3s are from people who are unlikely to read again or buy sequels

On the quality measure, it’s worth noting that a lot of people who enjoy the games leave 4s or even 3+s. Both are good/better than average scores; a 5 should be outstanding/extraordinary, and some weird people actually grade that way. :slight_smile:

It does seem that people who felt they had a 1, 2 or 5 experience are more likely to leave a review than people who thought it was a 3 or 4.

Yeah, I find different people rate things really differently. Some people will just rate anything they enjoyed a 5, whereas others will save it for what they think is the absolute best of the best. Also some people might give a 3 to something they enjoyed, whereas others would use a 3 as an insult :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m for the introduction of a rating system.

A rating system set up either in the forum or somewhere on the ChoiceofGames website where people more familiar with the titles can give their opinions would be awesome. It would definitely eliminate the need for all the “feedback” threads whenever a new game comes out.

@hahaha01357
I think there’d still be a need for feedback threads. Many of us authors would like to interact with the readers and keep readers updated. A rating system wouldn’t allow for either, and either way, written reviews are relatively rare.

The problems I see…

1. If everyone was nice about it, we’d all give each other fours and fives and everyone would be happy (except maybe the fours) and the rating system would help no one.

2. If everyone was brutally honest and used the full spread of scores for the rating, I think it would really crush folks who received low scores. It’s one thing to deal with low ratings on the App Store. Stuff happens, and those people are strangers. It’s a whole other matter to get low ratings from folks with whom you communicate on here, and who in many cases have been collaborating with you in the creative process.

I am trying to implement the “three compliments and a wish” style of critique many educators use. It provides positive feedback and encourages future improvements, specifying an improvement that might make the story more enjoyable.

Ha! This whole ratings thing reminds me of the brilliant episode of “Community” this year with the MeowMeowBeanz. Best episode of anything I’ve watched this year.