Raiders of the Icepeak Mountains (RPG, recruiting playtesters for latest patch, +35,000 words, total now ~180,000 words,post #172)

@varada_naveen, as @Manaxaggd said, you should go down to level 3, maximum, here…

@domthestar thanks, corrected that bug!

Otherwise, just uploaded another version, with another couple of thousand words and 3 more illustrations, which should hopefully make the intersections feel a bit less repetitive.

4 Likes

By the way, which character class are people mostly playing?

• Fighter
  • Cleric
  • Rogue
  • Wizard

0 voters

2 Likes

after i kill one shaman orc as a warrior i get the option to take his magic Battle axe but after i pick it up the option continues there making it possible to get an infinite amount of those (i would put a screenshot but apparently I can’t do that)

1 Like

Thanks, just corrected that and uploaded a new version (which has also one additional illustration).

1 Like

Something I’ve noticed is there seems to be no way to replenish mana, I played a wizard and ended up using up all my mana long before the end and had to rely on potions for the rest.

Maybe having a rest mechanic at he end of each level where you can replenish or at least gain back some mana and health?

3 Likes

Oh no, I meant something more like HP bars.

Here's a quick mockup

stats

Makes it more easier to tell who’s winning in a glance, and gives more of an RPG feel, no? That said, feel free to ignore my suggestion!

2 Likes

This was a LOT of fun! Very enjoyable to play.

2 Likes

I found it odd that my character, an orc female, had no special internal monologue or choices, especially when pondering the nature of orcs and their women.

4 Likes

I’ll be addressing all the points made in the last four parts in my next update (feedback much appreciated!)

How do people feel about the game length?

• The length is very good!
  • The length is good (though the game needs more variety so that it is less repetitive)
  • The length was ok, it could have been longer though
  • It was short. I expected more
  • The length was way too short (unnaceptably short for a HG)

0 voters

@domthestar Mmmmmm not so sure about this, as so far the mechanic I have always used is that the wizard needs to “sleep” to replenish mana. I guess I could include a few instances of some locations where you can take a “short rest”, or maybe one or two types of rooms where there is something you can drink or touch that will replenish your mana… I’ll think a bit about some of these, and maybe include in the next update!

@Franzinyte ok, will look into that!

@FutbolDude21586 :slight_smile:

@Barb What you say makes a lot of sense, going to add some extra options to the various races to reply to all this, for flavor! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@domthestar ok, I added an extra mechanic that allows the MC to take a rest in some rooms (secret rooms and those that are inaccessible to the orcs). Do let me know if you encounter any other rooms where you feel you should be able to take a rest! :slight_smile:

@Franzinyte it’s a superb suggestion, just implemented it! :slight_smile:

@FutbolDude21586 thanks! :slight_smile: glad you liked it!

@Barb Thanks a lot for this point. I have now introduced several options at that point for orc females. If you would like me to introduce others let me know (some extra nuances are also introduced for half-orcs). Also, I have introduced the possibility to talk to the orc shaman, who will have a nuanced reaction to orcs, half-orcs (and within that to males and females), clerics of Kathos, etc. Please let me know what you think! :slight_smile: (and if you want me to add any other nuances)

Other changes:
-Many bug fixes throughout
-Introduced more magical items (scrolls)
-Several more rooms.
-Several more types of intersections
-Some new illustrations

3 Likes

For those that have read the latest version (after the new upload on post #31). Regarding the game feeling repetitive (or not)

• The game felt repetitive before, and still feels repetitive now.
  • The game felt repetitive before, but it feels a bit less repetitive now.
  • The game felt repetitive before, but it is now fine.
  • The game didn’t feel repetitive before. But, the new improvements are nice.
  • The game didn’t feel repetitive before. I didn’t really notice much of a change…

0 voters

And another update, with a few thousands words more. There is now one more instance of secret rooms, where you can find a mummy (which can stun you when it attacks, but is susceptible to fire damage). Also, 4 more illustrations, taking the total to ~20.

2 Likes

expert crippling blow does not cripple and I think that you keep calling a whip a wip. Instead of putting things like allow_defence_1 and allow_defence_2 you put in allow_defence_2 twice in the options for choosing classes so the options for increasing defence do not appear. The stat increase for choosing half-orcs as a race does not happen. Unlocking crippling blow lets you use mighty blow and unlocking mighty blow lets you use crippling blow (problem in the fighting code).

1 Like

Wow, thanks, much appreciated! :slight_smile: (not often people take the time to go through the code to find all these bugs, which are difficult for me to spot!) I have now corrected all of them… working now on another update with some more rooms etc, but will upload the new version of the game before going home tonight!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

And just uploaded another version, this one implementing the possibility to loot scrolls, and another secret room. Hopefully all this gives the game more added depth. Also, nerfed a bit the loot, so that on higher difficulties you receive less “good” loot…

1 Like

Using expert crippling blow sets try_crippling_blow to 1 and not try_expert_crippling_blow
Choosing half-orc as a race gives you +1 climbing twice and not +1 defence
Something is wrong with the shop since the options choosing the weapons you want to buy do not appear but there are weapons you can buy in the code.

1 Like

Just corrected those and updated the game :slight_smile:

Let me know if you find any other bugs :slight_smile:

You still can’t buy weapons
For some reason to buy a scroll you need at least one of that scroll.

1 Like

Thanks, I think I should have found the bug now with the weapons and the scrolls. Also found and removed some other bugs I found myself…

Otherwise, I’ve added a couple of bits here and there… do let me know if you find anything else :slight_smile: