The Parenting Simulator- Now Available on iOS, Google Play and Amazon!

Grammatically both words fit that sentence

I agree completely. I’ve always believed that your kid’s situation is based on your parenting. It isn’t my or my kid’s responsibility to look after yours. I’m glad they had the option of stopping the bullying personally while not forcing your kid to be a savior.

I imagine there will be scenes that deal with your kid bringing home girls or “the drugs” as he gets older, obviously based off choices you’ve made?

How do you get your kid to be bullied? See, that’s what i love about this (type of) game. I assumed that your kid potentially bullies as a scripted scene via randomization. It’s cool that your choices affect this as well.

Side question: The money stat doesn’t seem to affect anything (as of now). It seems to be such a non issue in-game, that there doesn’t seem to be a reason not to send your kid to the best schools and get them everything they want. Is that by design or will it be patched at some point?

2 Likes

Your child’s popularity has to be lower than their individuality. I know having their activity as chess or making them move up in grades will decrease their popularity.

Just had a thought, @hustlertwo – has there been any scene for a Mother’s Day or Father’s Day scenario yet? If not, will there be one? It might be nice, especially if it’s near the end where they can spend their own money on a gift for us – it could be like a bookend to the earlier years where we were buying them all sorts of toys. :laughing: :gift:

6 Likes

Whoooo I was PISSED when my kid was a bully!

5 Likes

Money is a relatively new addition (added in December), and I’m still feeling out how it should work. I don’t want people to run out very often, but the $500 per year may still be too generous.

That said, I may also rename your savings to more accurately reflect its main purpose: it’s a college fund. The idea being you can use the money at times to help with things during their childhood, but use too much and a couple of major endgame options may remain closed for you.

@expectedoperator Yeah, a fair amount of stuff impacts popularity. Getting glasses does too (unless they don’t wear them when they should, but then that impacts Education).

Wow, how did I never once think of Mother’s/Father’s Day? Not only do I want to include one now, I want to do two: one when they’re a kid and they give you something handmade that only a parent could love, and again when they’re older to juxtapose how much growth has occurred. Not a full scene, though. Maybe one of those snippets that go at the end of the year. If I can’t fit two of them in, I’ll just have the one where they’re older hearken back to those clumsy, wonderful gifts of yore.

Oh, announcements that were mentioned previously. First one has already kinda been leaked out: the save feature is live, so hopefully that will help my beloved testers. Second is that as this inches closer to completion, I want to get all my ducks in a row so that the moment I feel like it’s ready, I can send it on its way. As such, I’m ready to start looking for a cover artist. If you know anyone (or you are anyone) who might be interested in a little bit of money and a fair bit of exposure, I’m all ears.

Details for what would be needed for the art below.

Summary

Specifications and Sizes: All artwork should be in PNG format, should not contain alpha channels or transparencies, and should use an RGB color model. Additionally all artwork should be in specific sizes, and may have further requirements to be aware of based on their usage as noted below.

• Icon: A 1024×1024 icon is required, although certain mobile devices will resize this down to as low as 48×48. This icon should not include the name of your game. On iOS devices the corners of the icon will be rounded, and it is recommended that artists be aware of this to account for it in artwork. Additionally we round the corners of Android icons in the same format as iOS for ease of production, and to minimize the number of art assets required.
  • Splash Screens: This screen will be displayed briefly as the game starts (on most devices) and will act as the first screenshot in the mobile app stores. This should not include the name of your game. Note that on iOS phones, the image will have a series of buttons superimposed down the middle, which may obstruct specific elements of the image. Sizes required are: 480×800 portrait (Android), 640×960 portrait (Android, iPhone 4), 1242×2208 portrait (iPhone 5+), 1242×2688 (iPhone X), 1536×2048 portrait (iPad), 2048×1536 landscape (iPad), 2048×2732 portrait (iPad Pro), and 2732×2048 landscape (iPad Pro).
  • Standard Promotional Art: These landscape images will be used in various locations and should include the name of your game in a large font:
    • 480×320 landscape: This is used for the web store, the android stores, and any web links that display images, such as social media posts.
    • 1024×500 landscape: This is used for the android store.
    • 1400×560 landscape (optional, may be requested): This is used for banners on mailers. The format of the mailer assumes this contains the name of the game.
  • Steam Promotial Art (optional, may be requested): Note that Steam publication is subject to approval by Hosted Games based on separate criteria from general game publication. Sizes required are 616×353, 467×181, 460×215, 231×87, 184×69, and all five must include the full title of your game in a large font (in the case of 231×87 and 184×69 it may be appropriate to simply superimposed the title on the artwork). Note that the 467×181, 460×215, and 231×87 sizes will have a demo banner overlay in the upper left corner, and as such the title should either not be in that corner, or a separate demo image should be included that has the title in another location. Additionally, the 616×353 will have a banner over the bottom right corner when on discount which may also cover the title.

I have my own art notes for what I want the cover to be, though those can be tweaked a bit based on what is feasible or will look the best.

Price would likely be $100. I overpaid for the NPT art in a big way and while that was my own fault, I have no intention of repeating this mistake. If multiple people end up interested, obviously being willing to go under $100 would make you more appealing, as I do pinch pennies so hard they make Abe Lincoln scream. A necessity of raising a family of four on a single income these days.

You can apply here in the thread and post links to your stuff if you want; I have no problem with this thread being used to boost eyeballs on your offerings a bit. If you’d rather do it by PM, that’s fine too.

If it is a good arrangement for both parties, I would probably also contact you with some other opportunities, as I have some children’s books written that I would love to finally get to publish but have no ability to draw on my own.

11 Likes

Do kids still act like fuck wits with glasses? I got mine in early high school and no one gave a fuck besides “Huh he has glasses now, neat” though I didn’t start wearing them al the time till a good year later.

This is aus high school btw so are high school is longer I think then you weirdos.

2 Likes

I don’t think kids still bully you with glasses :confused:

At least where I was that is, I mean kids still bully each other but not for the same reasons as the stereotype claims they do. I’ve had glasses my entire life and I don’t recall classmates ever mocking me for it. I feel like its more likely of them to bully for you for doing something different or being a good student.

Perhaps maybe you can get a different bully scene with which area/school you choose your kid to go to? I think more urban areas would be more accepting of glasses and more suburban areas would be more likely to bully you for them. That might be a bit extra to suggest but that brings some realism.

Per piece commissioned or for all of the art in total? And since CoG and HG usually repurpose the cover art for promotional stuff I assume its 2 or 3 pieces right?

3 Likes

Total. As I understand that is about par for the course on HG art. Plus, the person gets to be a credited artist on something that is 100% guaranteed to be seen thousands of times. Nuclear Powered Toaster was definitely one of the less popular HG releases, and it’s still been downloaded a couple thousand times on Google Play alone (though not all of those are purchases, of course).

2 Likes

Perhaps I should offer my services then… depending on when you need them done since I am a full-time art student. Regardless I’ll present myself as an option :blush:

My Art

*Also note that these are personal pieces done in my spare time so they aren’t as cleaned up as they could be.

I also am capable of doing more realism and a variety of other subjects but those are 1) traditional and 2) I submit my art to competitions and I’m paranoid about people finding my art and thus my school, full name, etc. I don’t mind pming those to you though if you’d like to see them.

I also have an art instagram @asu_sora_

In addition, I’m willing to work out prices potentially lower than $100 depending on how demanding the art will be.

I think it’s also worthy to note that I’m not very familiar with commissions so I do apologize if I do ever come across as unprofessional.

9 Likes

In year 3.
In the Just Playin’ Around scene.

if Jennifer gets it, she will go back almost to start

To the

In year 7.

Jennifer visibly relaxes when she realizes this is more a warning that a punishment.

Than

In year 9.

Finally She unwraps the last present.

Uncaptialise the bolded word.

3 Likes

Great deal! And don’t worry if you’re not used to commissions, I’m not used to commissioning. I like your stuff, so as far as I’m concerned you’re in the running. As for timeframe, the earliest I could possibly finish and be ready to publish is late April to early May, so not a rush (yet). I should point out that a lot of the art will involve depicting people from behind or otherwise obscuring faces, and one small bit will show a baby. I will post my notes in a bit so people know the score.

1 Like

Just checked my calendar, I have a break by the end of April so things line up pretty well. If you still want me as an artist by then, just pm me a week or two in advance :grin:

1 Like

All righty, sounds good. I’ll keep looking for interested parties, and if no one else pops by then, I’d say it’s meant to be.

Art notes, feel free to critique or make suggestions even if you aren’t a would-be cover artist. I want it to be as enticing to readers as possible, after all.

Summary

A collage showing various scenes, such as a baby being cradled against a shoulder, a figure in graduation cap and gown, a kid wearing a batting helmet hitting a baseball, and so forth. With the exception of the baby, always from behind figure so no face showing so as not to ruin self-insertion/headcanon stuff. Probably 4-5 images, depending on how many can be depicted in a detailed fashion without crowding the page too much.

Spent the night revising Year 12 a bit, so feel free to peruse at your leisure. The two-year old has awakened, so see you later!

4 Likes

@hustlertwo
Good job changing the adoption scene. It flows much more smoothly now. :slight_smile:

In year 12.

I don’t have to tell you this as much as I used to when you were tiny, but it’s for you own good.

Your

2 Likes

I agree with @Bugreporter – the revision flows nicely and makes things less confusing.

A few other things I noticed this time around –

You may want to make all the chapter titles similar to each other just so it looks more polished.

Right now most of them are alike – so for year two, for example, it has:

Year Two- On the Move
*page_break

but neither Year One or Year Ten have a *page_break, Year Five needs a space between the hyphen and the next word (Year Five-Is the Juice Worth the Squeeze?), and both Year Ten, Year Eleven, and Year Twelve use colons instead of hyphens (Year Ten: CYOA: Choose Your Own Activities, Year Eleven: My Nest is Best, and Year Twelve: Caution, Serious Stuff Ahead).

Typos

$!{aname} gives you a forlorn shrug. "I got a C, so I guess that’s not too bad.
Needs a quotation mark at the end.

*if (indy > 49)
You shrug. “Kid, I don’t know any other way to be. Now go to your room and start thinking about where you go from here.”
You need a space before the *if (indy > 49) – right now the parent’s paragraph is blending in with the kid’s previous dialogue.

3 Likes

I have a question. So if the kid has skipped a grade or few will their graduation scene come earlier and if so does the game end earlier because the kid graduates?

2 Likes

You don’t skip a whole grade, the kid just gets the option to do a reading class with higher grade students. They don’t do actual grade skipping much anymore. Just because the kid can handle it academically doesn’t mean they can socially.

6 Likes

I technically skipped grades as a kid, so I was understandably proud that my son had been able to do the same. *Its a shame that he isn’t technically able to and is instead just doing harder work.

Summary

Technically I didn’t “skip” a grade, more so I was a September kid and was supposed to be held back a year due to my birthday not being in a certain range. My parents were connected with the school and they put me in with the rest of the class. To my credit, I had to prove I was able to keep up with the rest of the class in order for it to be fully allowed.

*= Included info

2 Likes

Admittedly, that’s not 100% the same thing (though good on you for hacking it with the big boys! Or at least slightly bigger boys, as it were). While a lot of events are based on research, anecdotes, or observation (both as a parent and from my five years working in public education), this one’s actually personal. As a kindergarten kiddo, I got booted up to a 2nd grade reading class; I had been reading since I was 3, and presumably wasn’t enjoying what they covered as I sat there with my dog-eared copy of the Back to the Future III movie novelization. I was also an insufferable, egotistical snot by all accounts, so I imagine my teacher liked having a break from me for an hour.

I know this is still done nowadays, too. In 2012 I met a wonderful little girl named Lauren; she was a fourth grade student but came up to fifth for reading and was in the class where I worked as a parapro. I’m a sucker for kids who really love reading, especially since I worked with so many who hated it. Wish I could recall her last name, as she ought to be due to be a valedictorian or something in a year or two.

4 Likes

In year 9.

…a dog, the best friend you could ever imagine.
[*set indy -1]
…a cat, a playful and affectionate ball of fur.
[*set indy +1]
…another sort of pet entirely.
[*set trad -1]

Why does choosing what pet the MC had in the past affect the child’s stats?

2 Likes