Quantic Dream Games

Wasn’t sure whether or not to post this topic in Other Interactive Fiction, but here goes.

Heavy Rain

Fahrenheit

Beyond: Two Souls

Omikron: The Nomad Soul

I keep meaning to try out one of these games, having heard a lot about them, especially Heavy Rain. I’ve heard that they’re very interactive, choice-heavy and overall, pretty unique in the game industry right now, etc., so I thought of this forum.

So what do you think? About the games, I mean.

Oh, and as a footnote, here’s two QD demos I watched recently, for anyone who’s interested: The Dark Sorcerer and Kara. I actually cried watching The Dark Sorcerer. With laughter. With Kara, I just cried. Well, I didn’t actually cry, but I did find it to be very moving…ahh I’ll be quiet now :wink:

Huh, it seems I’m not the only one who’s been meaning to play these games. I have watched a full play through of beyond two souls and, although it has unique mechanics that I thought sounded fun, The main plot is very linear.

Beyond: Two Souls is one of my favorites.

It did seem fun but I haven’t played it myself. Is it as linear as I think?

Uhm, sort of the over all story is the same but different things will happen, you know that kind of stuff.

I’ve liked Quantic Dream for a while (since playing Fahrenheit), but all their games are definitely for very different groups. I’ll go ahead and sneak back in here to give IMO on them.

Omikron gets a recommendation, with the caveat that you need to be able to overlook its flaws, particularly the fact that it’s a decade and a half old. It’s interesting, and much more of a puzzle game than anything else by QD. The main problem is that it just doesn’t ‘hold up’. It’s less big on choosing how the plot develops, and more on how exactly you go about things from what I recall. Also, don’t set your expectations super high based on the start. It may look and feel deep at first, but it definitely gets a bit shallower as you go along. (Also, David Bowie does like three or five songs in the game, and even plays a couple characters, but before anyone has flashbacks to Labyrinth, remember it’s an old game, and everyone has like ten polygons, so don’t worry, no package shots.)

Fahrenheit is, IMO, a very good game with one huge, glaring problem. They forgot to give it an ending, and had to duct tape one on about five minutes before it shipped. (In fact, terrible endings is pretty much a trademark of David Cage. Everything he touches starts out great, has a good highlight or two, and has an ending that was obviously written, designed, and produced in the last few minutes of development, after someone realized that no one actually thought to add one.) The whole game is cheesy, sure, and pretty middling in terms of quality of writing, but still pretty interesting, and does give some player agency, probably the most of any QD game.

I haven’t played Heavy Rain, so I can’t really give a definite on it, but I also wasn’t able to sit through an LP of it.

Whether or not you like Beyond can probably be directly determined by whether or not you like Ellen Page. If you don’t like her, you will not like Beyond, while if you do, you probably will like it at least a little bit, even if it’s not what you expect. As for the bad, first, Beyond is not heavy on player agency. You can choose where you’re sitting in the car, sure, but you’re still obviously on a railroad, and the game is not above just sitting there and staring at you blankly if you dare get the idea to even make the smallest attempt to go in a different direction with the story. Second, large chunks of absolutely terrible writing. Just really bad writing. And implications that are just cringe worthy. On the other hand, some of the scenes are really good (like the homeless one, I really remember loving it). And of course, third, David’s trademark terrible ending, this time less of a rushed mess, and more of something pulled straight from his ass, so a step in the right direction at least.

Yeah, I thought it was something like that, but I’ll still probably try it out when I get the chance.

doesnt fehrenheit get really wierd half way through,if i remember correctly kane the main dude gets matrix style magic kung-fu powers that just kinda comes from nowhere

actually i found it kinda like the change up from noir is burning that just made me ask myself what had just happened

Yea, that’s as it get closer to the end. A triple combo of David being terrible with endings, executive meddling and a time crunch basically made everything go sideways.

going sideways might be putting it lightly,if i remember correctly kane also becomes a robot zombie

Personally, I have liked all of their games minus a few tidbits here and there (Fahrenheit Superman like powers are one example) . I believe that if you go into them viewing them as more interactive movies and less as interactive games, you will find more enjoyment in them. Still, despite their shortcomings, I find that they still offer up experiences that are mostly overlooked in gaming media. At the very least they are worth a rental or a discounted buy if you are fortunate enough to catch a sale.

I really hope they make a game out of Kara, I would love to see what QD would do with it

I’m a little late to this, but I’ll just add:

As far as interactive fiction goes, you’ll most likely like Heavy Rain the most, I think.

I played Omikron around the time it came out, and it has an interesting world. It’s one of the earlier and better sandbox games of the time, and I delighted myself with the ability to pretty much venture around as I pleased doing random things when I first played it.

I haven’t played Fahrenheit yet (though I own it), but I have played Heavy Rain and Beyond (and I even reviewed the latter for a website I was working with at the time). The former makes you feel more immersed in the story as far as choices go, because it’s whole gimmick was that even if one of the four main characters die during the narrative, your story would keep going. One of those four characters was also the serial killer of the game, the very same you were supposed to be hunting. So you had to figure out which person it could be, and how your choices helped or hindered the villain and the three heroes.

In a mystery/thriller/suspense kind of genre, it was really cool because it got people talking about their suspicions, their general thoughts, and sharing how their sequences went. I won’t say the game was full of the most varied sequences for certain sections of the game, but it was entirely possible for several people to get a whole different story–both with or without certain scenes from certain characters–if they played a certain way.

For example, out of me and three of my friends, we each had a pretty different experience. I lost one of my characters to death and one to jail; one of my friends ended up losing two of his characters to death; one friend made it with all of his characters intact, and one of lost everyone but the killer. So the game had tons of replayability.

Warning: there are some slow, boring sequences in the game: especially the beginning, which has you getting used to the controls by doing very mundane things, but it at least serves to get you into the head of one of the main characters. Also, the voice acting is pretty bad, with a bunch of French Canadians attempting normal American accents. So you’ll have a few good regular accents, one halfway decent New England accent, and a bunch of others trying to cover their accents but sounding like they have marbles in their mouths.

Beyond, on the other hand, I had high expectations for, and while I ultimately enjoyed what Cage was going for, it failed a lot. Based off of Heavy Rain’s set up, I assumed Beyond would be even better because when we were covering the game pre-release he talked so much about how it takes place over much of this character’s life and that the game will take her from a little girl to scifi experiments to homelessness to all around the world and more, based on her weird paranormal powers.

But the game is also told out of sequence, and so instead of getting a story that you build and affect and see the consequences of over time in a much more organic way, you get a game that–as said above–feels very linear. Because they know exactly where the game is going and make the player have to take a backseat to the narrative-building. I mean, any story is like that, but the illusion of choice of it all was more apparent.

So basically you can see how your choices immediately affect scenes in the short run, so that by the end of a segment, something will have happened that makes you go “Wow.” There’s also a variety of scenes, like in its predecessor, that you can find or miss depending on what you choose to do and when. And there’s a few arbitrary things that affect the narrative down the line. But overall, it didn’t feel as compelling a “choose-your-own-adventure” game as Heavy Rain.

Sorry for the novel-length reply. Hope this helps!

Story is the same, but little things are affected, relation ships change, etc. it’s not gonna make the story go down a whole new path, but it’s worth it.

bleach online is one of my favorites. youtube