Pulse University - a Mech Game (WiP) - Updated 5/3/2020

I have also taken notice to the fact that your weapon choice doesnt always matter in a fight, even though what you’d be able to do is wildly different depending on what you have.

Like as a solo against the girl with the rocket rifle, I’m doing a bastion run using a bladed shield. If I have this super heavy duty shield that’s basically an armored wall, why wouldnt I use it to block her shots instead of getting hit on my pulse directly?

There was no option to block with my shield(which is solely designed to block things) so when I chose to “brace for impact!” All that happened was i took a defensive stance and forgot about my shield to take rockets to the face for some reason.

Or if I had a sword I should be able to skillfully chop or deflect them as they come toward me. Or blast them out of the sky with a projectile weapon, or any other interesting thing you could do with your chosen weapon. There are more examples but my point is weapon choice only comes into play some of the time and it is often ignored also the pulse can take a hit or you use fisticuffs instead of like bashing someone over the head with the shield of hamstringing them with your twin blades.

The shield does matter on those checks, though, as equipping a shield raises physical defense, which is tested on that attack.

Is it just me or kyra makes me thinks she is from Russian heritage?

2 Likes

I know behind the scenes and stat wise it matters, I was pointing out how in that one scene among others, your weapon is completely absent from being mentioned, like you don’t have it. Although every fight would be different based on your weapon. I understand it would be much more to write, but I’d love to see the different effects and descriptions of your multiple weapons in action more often. It seems a waste to have so many and put the effort into explaining them only to actually use them in detail so rarely.

3 Likes

This is not the final version so we still need to wait for the finished product im sure @Aviator467 have it’s plan

Small update to fix some things that were mentioned earlier.

3 Likes

@stsword It’s not an explosion of lightning, in the training fight your teammates are too close to your enemies and the lightning is attracted to both. This is to discourage your from using a ranged weapon at such close range. As for Pulses dodging lightning, they’re reacting to your attack before you use it. It even mentions in some cases where your opponent can’t dodge all of it because it is in fact moving at such high speeds. In the last fight you can boost your teammates with your power if you use a warlock Pulse or have enough extra power. Let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions!

@Juggtacular Early on in the writing process that was definitely the case and all due to lazy writing. I knew it wasn’t ideal but it made it easier. Lately I’ve strayed away from this, and plan on going back and updating certain fights. As for right now all I can say is I plan on fixing this!

2 Likes

I didn’t have that option in that playthrough.

I was defeated before the game gave me the option.

Despite the fact that my character knew the other team was getting juiced up by their music man, I was apparently waiting for some big dramatic moment after possibly losing several teammates to likewise juice up my teammates instead of just saying to himself “Two can play that game, time to turn that dial to 11!” to take advantage that unlike the music man who just empowers others, I was in a Warlock that can empower and fight.

During the team fight if you were aware of the other team’s plan, you can shift your focus to the DJ after the first choice with either opponent. I just went back into the code and made a small change that might have prevented ya from seeing it!

3 Likes

Great game so far, can’t wait to see what happens next. I do wish that those who go the full grades route do not have to worry about confusing someone even more when trying to help them with math. Also, this reminds me of Ace Academy (VN by PixelFade).

There secret weapon is that their support mech juices them.

So can a warlock PC, so advantage negated.

Their support mech has no weapons, which means if both sides are getting juiced, the variable is that our team has 5 against their effectively 4.

Which means we can use our numerical advantage to double team a member of their team to start picking them off one by one.

If the PC doesn’t know the other team is getting juiced, it makes sense to wait for a strategic moment to do that.

But when the PC does know about the music man, it only makes sense for the PC to start juicing their teammate’s mechs immediately, to do otherwise is to effectively fight with one hand tied behind one’s back.

Whether the PC targets the music man first or second for elimination is a separate issue.

Okay, the more I play this the more I like it. I really like the new fight, though I thought that it was impossible to win at first xD I won in the end, though. Awfully sneaky, that other team.

1 Like

So, I love the fact that if you choose Spain as your home country the instructions appear in Catalan, however it’s a rather delicate situation with Cataluña always, so to avoid any possibility of anyone saying anything, I would advise to change it to esukera, (which is even more difficult to read). I love the idea, but just in case, because I have seen people getting pissed about things like that

2 Likes

Love this game. Especially considering the fight scenes.

1 Like

Small bug.

1 Like

Hey, Aviator. I have nothing of any importance to add to the conversation, so I’ll just say again that this is my favorite WIP on the forum.

1 Like

1, you use apostrophes when they aren’t required, 2, I notice a lot of slips into past tense. But this story is really good and I’m looking forward to reading more!

I had won all my matches in my first and only play.
May be my intrigue senses helped me.

Had the support mech in the game while benching the athlethic guy and his vitality wise strong mecha.

If we can change the benched mecha against the team for setting a strategy it will be nice.

Also of it possible watching some other matches for gathering insights will be interesting as well.( game does have 1 scene part like that and it is fun)

When I first began reading (playing?) this I was super invested in Astrid and I kinda shifted over the Chloe and she’s been my main since. Just finished reading the latest chapter and you actually cannot do this to me. I need some closure!

It’s a really good fun story. Initially a few of the humor parts made me cringe but now I actually chuckle a bit. Like I said it’s fun read and I’m always excited when a new update drops. Keep at it, loving every second of it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

THE DEMO IS SO FUN OMG i really cant wait to play the whole thing!

I only wish that there were checkpoints where the mechanics could upgrade a stat for our pulses… Maybe like after every couple games or so. It would help with making custom builds and that would be coooool-- lol i need to add more speed to my warlock pulse

5 Likes