Pulse University - a Mech Game (WiP) - Updated 5/3/2020

Heyyyy off topic question but does anybody in here know Bang Dream! ?

Hey there! Your game is awesome! As a latino person, there’s no way I would’ve mistaken a Mexico’s accent for a Colombia’s one xD I’ve tried playing as coming from Mexico and that kinda bugged me (but that could just be me, of course) but yeah, being able to write down instead of just choosing where I’m from was pretty cool too.

A question, is Connor’s Pulse named Fullback or Linebacker? Because Hannah’s mentioning one on the first 3v3 and I don’t think I’ve saw that name before? Oh and Adrian’s scene (though completely awesome) caught me really off-guard there xD Since he is recently added, maybe he should be in the game desc. too? Like, “win the games, but beware the Russian man. He might kill you. KILL HIM FIRST.” …or something like that xD

I really liked the story and the characters! I still have a lot to play through but I thought I’ll leave that and some small orthographical errors I found (which, really, are pretty small but I figured that maybe you wanted to know about them idk)

Summary

IMG-20190124-WA0004 IMG-20190124-WA0003 IMG-20190124-WA0005
(I’m pretty sure is spelled Colombia rather than Columbia. Same thing on the bio page)
IMG-20190124-WA0006
(A rogue with a doble-edgeg sword. I know you’re right Hannah, no need to tell me twice.)

I really look forward to seeing your story published! Stay strong!

I love the improvements. I had to tweak my favorite origin a little to pull off a team win.

I have a question. I did the team scenario as a rogue with daggers, lost the match but beat my first opponent. My rank improved, and my team’s rank got worse. I switch things up, defeat my first and second opponent, ultimately winning the match. My rank stays the same tho the team rank improves. So I am just curious how your rank system works.

@AdmirableAnimation Glad you liked it! I think I’m going to change connors Pulse to fullback, as that’s an actual position in rugby. For some reason I liked the name linebacker more and used it but obviously I messed up keeping both in the story. I’ll be sure to check out the errors you pointed out, thanks again!

@Disciple and @jmar it would appear the ranking system is broken right now so I’ll see what I can do to fix it

(As a side note could I get anyone interested to post what individual ranks they got at the end along with a brief description [i crushed the fights!] or [i lost every fight and got *number*])

@Cannongerbil the cabin scene gave me the most troubles trying to find a system I liked to get it to work, and yeah i guess I wrote each path with the idea the reader would chose to hang out with the person they liked and therefor have most of the story revealed to them. There is currently a token system like the one you mentioned but it unlocks what I call the “good” option when hanging out with someone at the cabin. I can probably expand this?

1 Like

would just like to say as a guy who don’t like mecha very much i really love this game. also Mikey is absoutly right I AM THE SENATE!

4 Likes

For real question though, I’m guessing when I get closer to publishing I’ll have to remove or change all these references to avoid copyright stuff right?

well referencing stuff from what i know is protected by the copyright law (as in it protects you and you can do this). and on a side note i dont think you would be able to become so big that disney and lucasfilm thought it would be profitable to try and copyright strike you. there is probably someone better at all the copyright law stuff then me but from what i have heard on youtube it is protected kinda like when games put easter eggs to famous people or games/movies in there games.

Same thing, I’m not really savvy on that, but the “angry Irishman yelling to a game” is a piece of gold and I hope it stays. I can name at least two angry Irishman, so it may just be ok :thinking:

You can probably get away with making fairly minor cosmetic changes to your references. Something that still lets your readers know what you are referring to while not using its actual name.

Like, “Mikey and Connor got MgRonalds for the team, but Tex threw it out because he already got SFC.” That usually gets you around anything that would probably violate copyright or provoke letigation.

Stop Famous Criminal Origin, Rogue pulse, twin dagger weapon, wrist mounted rocket booster enhancement.

Physical:15% Mental:2% Social:30% Pilotage:27%

Rush them, catch the sheild, engage in CQC, Fight them both at the same time.{all choices succeed)

Ranked 511
Team Rank 88 chose Tex

Team battle run 1, Connor
Physical:21% Mental:8% Social:30% Pilotage:40%

Vs Jasmine Orcheta

Outplay her, embarrass her, she’s down.(both choices were success)

Alex Vahlos
A good pilot never fights alone, victory, Rank 471, Team Rank 96.
Second Battle
Take command of team, victory, Rank 471, Team Rank 89.

I will add more later. Out of time for now.

2 Likes

Oh, by the way, something I can’t help but find funny.

When everyone presents their pulses, you’re given a wide range of options to comment on each of them, earning approval and disapproval from your teammates. During Connor presentation, I made fun of his robot not using any weapons. So far so good. But I can’t help but think that if Connor had paid attention, he’d be well within his rights to call me a huge hypocrite, because my robot also doesn’t use weapons - well okay, plasma fists are kind of a weapon.

(unfortunately for Connor, he tends to be the one with whom I always end up having the worst relationship. I think I even reached negative numbers with him. I don’t hate him, I swear! I just like the others more.)

3 Likes

A pure token/flag system or at least one that relies more on flags than the relationship values will probably be best for both players and you. On the player side, it makes it easier for them to track what choices results in what consequences and avoids the situation where they end up with some guy they’ve never spent much time with because of how high their initial relationship values are.

On your side, it makes it easier for you to flowchart and keep track of things without having to keep a tight reign on how many points each relationship raising scene/action gives to each character. You can also keep the current dynamic where certain characters are harder to please/ slower to open up than others without it negatively affecting story flow like it currently does.

Pulse “Kollester” Rogue, with a longsword and a cool paintjob. Physical: 0% Mental: 56% Social: 10% Pilotage: 10%
Rush 'em, catch the shield, CQC, showed off. Nailed it. Ranked 511

Physical: 6% Mental: 62% Social: 10% Pilotage: 13%
Fought Rebelde up close, then got out of his ax’s range. Won. Tex in the team, ranked 88.

Hannah on the team. “Accidentally” made a “tactical” error. (This fight was seriously so much fun) Agility enhancers, friggin’ cut his weapon off, outmaneouvered until his shield wore off. Won.
Team rank: 96 My rank: 471

Tried to take charge, failed, lost. My rank is the same, team rank 99

Olivia Marshe

Pilot Stats
Physical: 29%
Mental: 41%
Social: 5%
Pilotage: 46%

Mech Stats
Pulse: Harrier- Longbow with railgun and an optic feedback scope
Physical Defense: 15%
Energy Defense: 30%
Speed: 35%
Strength: 10%
Style: 20%
Power: 40%

Piloting competition winner focused on doing damage and not getting hit

In the first fight against the training bots I kept them at a distance and outmaneuvered the bots and did fairly well

Play to strengths
Get out the way
Death from afar
Good enough pilot

95% health don’t know if it’s possible to not be hit
544 out of 1230!

Tex is the team solo and Hannah is the 4th teammate

During the first actual match I outmaneuvered and outsmarted Vlahos and wasn’t even scratched
rank - 504
Team Kickass rank - 96

“Tactical error”
Agility enhancers
Think of something
“Sure had a challenge”
Outmaneuver

Overwhelming firepower

Team Kickass rank - 89

It’s possible if you play a “sturdy” mech - basically you are hit, but it does no damage. Rogue chassis and the like will always take that 5% damage.

2 Likes

Gameshow Winner Origin, Warlock Pulse, Twin Flamethrower Weapon, Mads Kinetic Defense system modification.

Physical: 3 Mental: 10 Social: 32 Pilotage: 17

Attack from range, activate Mads, power driven attack, engage them one at a time.

Ranked 524, Team Rank 88, chose Chloe.

Physical: 3 Mental: 16 Social: 32% Pilotage: 30%

Team Battle, chose Hannah for 4th spot.

Attack Vahlos, activate Mads, Power driven attack, a good pilot never fights alone,Victory.

Ranked 480, Team Rank 96.

Second Battle.
Overload Pulses, Victory
My Rank 480, Team Rank 96.

Second Battle.
Superior Firepower, Victory.
My Rank 480, Team Rank 89.

question are we going to be able to modify our mech more?

Given that the auther ended the recent update by introducing a severe parts shortage, I would say no.

5 Likes

Playing as JC Yosemite, complete fraud. Got in by accident and his entire strategy consists of a) spray-and-pray and b) run away. Useless without teammates. Nobody seems to have noticed his incompetence yet. I like the ebb and flow of the game – go to a few classes, talk to a few of your teammates, have dinner with your cousin, then a huge burst of energy during the fights.

One thing I think could be improved is that there isn’t much tactical merit to the fights at the moment: I’ve excelled in every fight just by picking the “RUN AWAY” option and playing to the speedy roguish nature of my pulse. We’re not really making that choice at all, are we? I’d only pick “punch that guy” if I was deliberately trying to lose the match. In future fights I’d like to see more trade-offs we have to make that don’t just rely on playing to our strengths. It would also be nice if the game recognised my mech’s strengths and flavoured more interesting tactical decisions with them automatically (e.g. to rescue Hannah to keep the buffs going is just one choice, but how I save her depends on my highest stat).

2 Likes

aww to bad wanted to build on my mech more