Pulse University - a Mech Game (WiP) - Updated 5/3/2020

Pulse University is a “super serious” choicescript WiP that is set in the near future, one which 3 story mechs called Pulses have risen in popularity. After some time, people began fighting other pulses in competition and the War Games developed which are basically the Olympics. You begin your journey at GPU or Global Pulse University, the most prestigious university for up and coming pilots. You must learn the ins and outs of Pulse Combat with your new team, endure living with your “interesting” cousin, and go through student life. The end goal is to reach the War Games yourself and represent your home country!

Stressed replayability (try playing as a different gender).

Current Wordcount is ~190k

If you guys like it, I’ll make more

Feedback appreciated.

https://dashingdon.com/go/2446

Update: 3/18/18
Added minor text changes if you already come from Japan
Fixed Dashingdon bug in between chapters
A few spelling fixes thank god for spellcheck
Decided to keep writing this one so on to the next chapter, Steps!

Updated 4/29/18
Fixed dinner with your cousin scene
Added two new weapons
Slight re work on your back ground, MC will be at least half american
New 20+k chapter introducing all the characters
Very slight rework to battle individual rating, you should be ranked higher now.
Like always typos and coding fixes

Updated 5/24/18
Small changes to some scenes
Teammates now respond to your Pulse
slight battle rework
removed stat increase option. Go make friends

Updated 9/15/18
New Chapter Stride (42k words)
ty 4 waiting fam

Minor Update 11/23/18
New name, Hopefully it better describes my game (thoughts?)
Updated some older scenes that were too similar to AA
SAVE FUNCTION ADDED (major thanks to @szaal)

Update 1/21/2019
New chapter Endurance (27k)
Bios added after meeting your team
More ranking indication
Adrian Added

Update 6/9/2019
New character added: Kyra
2 new weapons
Fixed ranking issues

Update 6/18/2019
You can now always view your ranking
bug fixes

Update 4/22/2020
New Chapter Breathes (~60k)
Changed style to character trait
Fixed grammatical issues
Mikey no longer throws his shit at you

Update 5/3/2020
You can now win the last fight with high enough pilotage
Chloe and Kyra can now win their fight
Changed the upgrades at the beginning of the game (making your Pulse a quadruped was stupid in hindsight.)

432 Likes

That sounds pretty promising! Nothing quite like good old robot fights to get the blood pumping, and Mecha Ace was so long ago…

Two things I noticed: when you’re choosing your country, you mispelled “France”, and I got an unlimited loading time after the bit where the MC thinks that “In two days, your life is about to change forever!” (basically, the transition between the startup scenes and the crawl scenes)

3 Likes

seems interesting, when I read the title, it reminded me of the 1983 movie featuring Matthew Broderick

2 Likes

Greetings Professor Falken. Would you like to play a game?

How about a nice game of chess?

1 Like

Idk is it something I keep working on?

1 Like

Temporarily fixed that load error, don’t know what caused it though

1 Like

Well, the intro is pretty good! That first training battle was very well done, and I can tell trying various builds and see how it changes things is going to be fun. I’m eager to interact more with the other pilots, but that will come in due time. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Could you tell us abit more about it

after going for Ice cream the game throws me back to where I arrived at the apartment.

1 Like

@Logan3000x yeah it has to do with dashingdon cus it works on my end. At first it wouldn’t go to the first chapter, now I guess it’s repeating itself. I’ll try and work on it but the ice cream is the end of the demo.

@Harley_Robin_Evans I’ll try: War Games is a choicescript WiP that is set in the near future, one which 3 story mechs called Pulses have risen in popularity. After some time, people began fighting other pulses in competition and the War Games developed which is basically the Olympics. You begin your journey at GPU or Global Pulse University, the most prestigious university for up and coming pilots. You must learn the ins and outs of Pulse Combat with your new team (the demo has you meeting a possible 3 out of 6 other team members) and go through student life. The end goal is to reach the War Games yourself and represent your home country!

1 Like

This game remind me of RWBY, especially when MC was practicing! You got me hooked at the beginning! Although… if we chose Japan, does it… takes MC to Japan again??

Nice work! Enjoyed it so far. Can you add premade names though?

I LOVE IT!!! wow, i want more!!! cant wait for your next update.

Can’t wait to see how this moves forward, I can see already how different personalities and builds will affect the game a lot. Keep up the work I really enjoyed this one :slight_smile:

@Umbreonpanda I haven’t gotten into that so must be a coincidence :confused: And yeah… I’ll probably add something to that but my idea was you’re traveling to a different part of Japan.

@N1GHTMAR3 Thanks! That’s something I can look into, but you have to understand the Main Character can come from anywhere in the world and It’s hard to have pre-selected names fit every possible country.

@Shin_Lee Glad you like it :slight_smile: I love positive feedback

@bst2901 I’m stressing replay ability with this WiP . That’s my biggest complaint with a lot of choicescript works so I’m trying to make meaningful choice matter latter on in the story, or just different parts of the story hidden unless you play more than once

3 Likes

I think that country of origin should have a bigger impact, at least Japan should considering the place of action. Kind of odd that I need translation from Shun when I even watch airplane videos in Japanese.

@gvyn yeah that makes sense I can do that

Yeah, when reading war games, can’t help hearing in my head, “Would you like to play a game?” But other than that, it looks very promising… Looking forward to more.

1 Like

There’s not enough mech stories here and yours blew me out of the water with the mix of comedy and skill. Lookin forward to it.

2 Likes

This is awesome!

1 Like