Professor of Magical Studies (was: Advanced Studies in Pattern Magic) - In Copyediting!

Thanks. I’m really enjoying this game! I love the Darcy storyline, I feel like I haven’t seen that before in a COG game

2 Likes

Grammar error here. Should be “They have brown skin” not “They has brown skin”.

Mispelling. College has 2 L’s not one.

1 Like

Thanks!

The game has a Steam page and cover art that is so good, but also a deadline, so I guess I should keep writing!

37 Likes

That’s awesome. Gonna miss the other title, though.

10 Likes

Not gonna lie, I liked the old title better. But this one’s great too.

7 Likes

Really enjoying this demo so far! Darcy is infuriating but I’m holding out for hope that she’ll become a better person and I can trust her enough to get back together with her… or maybe I’m just a clown :clown_face:. Only time will tell I guess.

Also, I think this might be a bug. If I click on the option “why’d you really not help me with Wilson’s pattern?” it just takes me to this same exact page. Like, it doesn’t move forward with the story.

2 Likes

There’s another quick pronoun error right after, should be “she” in my game.

Also, tiny thing but you forgot to put quotation marks at the beginning of this sentence. It took a second for me to realize he was saying something.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll take a look at all of those. @fisheye, I don’t think I’ll add a move-your-lab option (aaa! combinatorial explosion! aaa!) but I see what you’re saying about Summers and will look at giving an off-ramp choice to let Summers stay.

1 Like

don’t know if it was spotted before, but I found a spot.

Summary

Kids in my Mind Magic class are doing presentations on summoning.

I keep getting this bug message and it won’t let me through no matter the choices I make in chapter 7. I haven’t seen anyone else bring it up and I’m dying to continue reading(I’m so invested in this IF). The message appears in the scene after making the choice on sharing the lab(or not) with Blankenship. When pressing “Great” after Gabriel arrives. I wanted to show a picture of it but it kept telling me media wasn’t allowed to be posted(doing this on my phone, apologies).

Bug Message

7_time_shares line 2145: invalid @{} at letter 1; ‘lab_theory_quality_e’ is equal to 0 which is not a positive number

@KamenSentaiRed Nice catch. Fixed!

@Kalio, I’ve uploaded a potential fix for your problem. Please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

5 Likes

It’s working now, I managed to get through the rest of the chapter without any other issues. Thank you for the quick fix!

1 Like

One of the most thorough WIP’s I’ve ever played in all my time lurking here. Still not finished, but already super impressed that this is a WIP. Can’t wait to see more of your work too!

2 Likes

I dont think I can add anything of value that hasn’t been said but a very impressive WIP nonetheless.

Very unique take on the modern fantasy genre, focusing just as much on real world issues as fantastical magical stuff. Usually the genre tends to lean one way or the other.

The writing is thoroughly impressive, it flows well and feels natural. The pacing is good, there are no overly verbose scenes. Truly it feels polished.

The characters feel like real people without taking any of the fun or drama out. Usually characters tend to be exaggerations of personality types or completely grounded in reality which tends to be boring. Each character is in my opinion a successful take of different character tropes. Even the “entity living in head” trope has been made both fresh and familiar.

I was lucky enough to not run into a single coding issue which is frankly the most impressive thing about it. I will say that’s a first for me.

Overall really great game definitely in my top 5 WIPs currently on the forum, i look forward to future updates(and perhaps romancing a head alien?)

4 Likes

Pronoun mistake, it’s supposed to be “him”

The wrong name is showing up.

The surname.

I missed the luncheon because I was with Darcy, but during the work party they say that I went, but arrived late.

I’m not sure if this one is a error or not, but every time I choose this one it just loops back.

I’m really liking the game so far and wanted to know if we can be poly in the game or not.

1 Like

Damn i get confuse between scenes at the start, whether i was a teacher or a student

Sorry for the late replies, folks. Thanks for all of the feedback!

Yes, though not with every RO.

I appreciate the bug reports. As for the looping one you mentioned, I wasn’t able to make it loop, but I did realize that one path had two options, one right after the other, that looked the same and got similar intro text right after. I believe I’ve foxed that, along with everything else you found.

It’s on my to-do list to find a way to make that clearer.

4 Likes

Switch between italics and standard font

1 Like

I’d considered that, but most of chapter 1 is flashback, and I find all-italics tiring to read for long.

5 Likes