Price Increases

I don’t mind the price so much in general, but I hate that in-depth, quality products cost the same about the same amount as garbage.

1 Like

But who is the one tp judge quality. What for you can be garbage for me could be a masterpiece. there are games in appstore i despise that cost twenty dollars or so Price depends lost of factors.

5 Likes

I get that everyone has their own preferences, but there have been games I enjoyed “enough” but still were able to recognize as underdeveloped. Conversely, there’ve been games I lacked the interest to even complete once, yet still saw passion in. I think, in general, we all know some hosted games are of significantly higher quality than others, and for those works, a higher price should be an option (unless maybe if the author WANTS it to be cheap). Similarly, crap should be cheap.

1 Like

Crap? something is not crap just because you dont like it. There is no really objective way to say
Like i don’t like X this has to cost less and If Y i like this will cost more.

Market doesn’t work like that. I can’t go to a grocery and say I love bananas so instead one dollar now they cost twelve. I hate pineapple so now it cost five cents

There is no way a subjective concept of crapiness determine price of any product in Market. If not Ea would had bankrupted decades ago

6 Likes

I feel you not only failed to respond to my argument, you rather blatantly misrepresented it.

I think the point is that it would be difficult to accurately create a crap-based pricing system. I don’t think Mara misrepresented your point, to my reading.

11 Likes

I feel like there’s some clever reply I could interject with here, but it’s alluding me. :thinking:

2 Likes

Her statement of “something is not crap because [I] don’t like it” after I explained the difference between my opinion of its quality as opposed to whether or not I enjoyed it is a misrepresentation.

However, I do think there could be a way to do it. Granted, it would be rough, probably involve a poll, but it would be something. I’m really trying to avoid naming specific titles because I don’t want to turn this into a call out thread, but I do think when playing WIPs you get an idea pretty quickly whether or not something is well-written or at least has effort put into it.

These will always complain that it is not free, regardless of what you do. I was talking more about those who quit right after the download.

@poison_mara

The additional information says that there is in-app-purchase, but doesn’t says if it is the price of the game, to remove ads, or to buy special currency.
Why do I need to download the game to know how many chapters are free? Why this information is not available directly in the Play Store?

1 Like

I have no idea but probably there is a commercial reason for that . I would like that there were a label saying DEMO but there is none in the apple store the similar stuff is the Lite versions of the apps but that is not good for cog as is an extra cost and quit visibility to the main version

1 Like

Unfortunately, the closest measurement of quality in these is word count/length and that’s not an appropriate measurement of quality since quality is partially subjective.

The objective half of quality measurement would involve the grammatical, spelling, and IF medium standards something would have to measure up to before being considered to be of good quality in order to get published.

This is also ignoring the fact that both brands have different audiences that have different standards, and contexts!, in mind when we read these interactive novels. Casual readers, or at least non-forum goers, can think that 150,000 words is short, for instance. Subsequently, they think that a 150k IF is of poor quality just because it’s not 200k, 300k, 400k, or even 600k words long.

3 Likes

Quality is amazingly subjective, but that doesn’t mean invalid.

Could you explain what you mean by “both brands?”

It is. Unfortunately, the current measure of quality is a poor fit (i.e. word count/length for the reason I mentioned above via casual readers thinking a 150k IF is worth a 2 Star rating just because it’s ‘so short’), but it’s the best we currently have. I am not saying that quality is invalid because it is, as you point out, subjective and it’s hard to measure subjectivity, especially while juggling multiple factors such as word count and multiple audience expectations.

Choice of Games and Hosted Games = both brands. They’re owned by the same company, but they (the brands) have different publishing standards (i.e. CoG drafts have to be at least 100k words long while HG drafts have to be at least 30k words long).

1 Like

I understand now about the brands, but I do think word count is something that gets too much attention. When I talk about quality, I mean “was it fun” or “did it evoke any emotions?” or “did I feel satisfied at the end?” Granted, word count does play into that last one a bit.

Also, while the different “brands” may have different requirements, they are advertised the same way. I didn’t even know they were different brands until I started reading up on writing my own, and I’ll bet the average consumer doesn’t either.

Basically, all I am saying is that “official” games should have one price, and hosted games should be set based on community poll responses. I think this would allow good games to make more money, and bad games to hurt company image less, because the lower price lowers expectations.

Sadly, word count gets so much attention because that’s, usually, the number one complaint. :cry:

Well… i only have time to answer 3 anyway… so i pick 3 which i am confident with :-):crazy_face:

Clear sail all the way…

1 Like

that sound like closing the door on any ‘growth’ that could happen , on the basic of ‘elitist’ methode of '‘it’s just a business and money is all that matter . Make us shine , we up vote you! you aren’t cut for the elite? sorry…we crush you’ .

I like to think that even if a story isn’t to my taste at all , the person should get something for their work . Writing is a PAINFUL-Pain-in-the-ass of a career , or hobbie or even as a fun distraction . Its Alot of work .

And peoples should get something for that pain , even if the end product is ‘crap’ .

1 Like

Again, I’m in a rough spot, because I don’t want to call out, but some clearly aren’t trying. This isn’t about taste. It’s about if this was turned in as a school project it would fail.

Lol, that gave me some bittersweet memories of when some guy made a review of Trial of the Demon Hunter saying, “If my seven year old kid turned this story in for a school project, it would get an F.”

3 Likes

I can tell you that was not the one I am referring to.