Polls about COG, HG, and IF games

Great choices, but I like it when we can be a witch as well…or is a witch considered a mage as far as this list goes? Either way I liked being charmed. ;D

2 Likes

hm no. A witch isn’t a mage. Mage have ‘Education’ of a sort…witch is different. (think big nose, bony fingers, easy to anger, hex you with every breath… :smile: Joking!)

A Warlock gets their power from a higher being, a demon or the devil himself. " Mage " is sort of a catch-all term to describe any spellcaster, and " Witch " is similar, but generally refers to females and tends to be a bit of a slur

Sarcasm thank google, I think I stick to my version…which sound more badass actually than a ‘Slur’ :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’m not sure. I consider them one and the same if we’re speaking from a fantasy setting. They both are magic users in some form or another. Obviously not the same thing IRL but take my word with a grain of salt.

I didn’t want to make the poll more complicated and have something like

• Mage
  • Witch
  • Wizard
  • Warlock
6 Likes

I’d have no problem playing as any of these.

8 Likes

Oh my god, I literally Pikachu-faced when I realized I could only choose five, uhghghhghghghhghhghgh. :sob:

Anyway, I wanted to jump in and say that I was genuinely surprised that human was even a choice. It really made me think about how the default protagonist (in my head) even in supernatural stories is—or was, in some cases—a normal human, and that even if given a choice to play as other races, my first choice will always be to play as a human. I mean…it makes sense given that I am human, but…eh, whatever it still startled me, lol.

In the end though, all that matters to me are the characters and the story. If a story can’t justify a human protagonist, then that’s no skin off my back—assuming that the supernatural world can hold it own, of course. Uh…I guess I can add worldbuilding into my list of things that matter most…

You know, these sentiments I’m expressing are all very ironic given that one of the ideas I’m toying around with wouldn’t give the choice to play as a human, lol. It’s a case of do as I say, not as I do, I guess!

11 Likes

Haha, oops!

Yeah, I thought about it and added human after everything else because some people might want to be human in these stories.

I know sometimes stories like Wayhaven or other supernatural settings get feedback that someone wishes to be not be a human for one reason or another (which is the main reason I made this poll), but it’s not a feedback I see often pop up very frequently.

TBH I am surprised that mage is the top contender with human being third ATM.

4 Likes

Never liked the idea of playing as a human in a supernatural setting. It’s just so dull, it’s a world full of all sorts of magical mythological creatures, why would I choose to be what I (apparently) already am? The MC is normally always so helpless and vulnerable compared to the other characters and that’s something I hate. The MC is often capable enough sure, but chances are they’d never be able to stand at the same level as supernatural characters.

10 Likes

I only need one vote.

What can I say? I’m going through a werewolf phase.

7 Likes

Raise hand teach! But mage isn’t…a race though, no? I mean it’s a vocation like scholar or minstrel. So why is it up there?

Unless there is a book that say they are? :thinking:

@Autumn19 just think of…the advantage humans get. Werewolf gotta shed and have to vacuum. Naga shed as snake do…ew. Succubus gotta feed babeh…how many restraining orders that make? dragon gotta pay bigger rent and that heating system? hello Bills! Meanwhile, puny helpless humans only have to get some after-shave and some Loreal. :smile:

3 Likes

I am not the end all, be all of what mages are (or spell casters) so take my words with a grain of salt, but I personally consider them separate from humans because of they’re ability to cast magic, something humans cannot do obviously.

Dunno if they would be considered a separate race or species as I feel like that’s an entirely different debate on its own, but I did not know how else to word the poll.

2 Likes

Magical humans? Like Immortal Elves? Digging dwarf? I really need to stop watching so much comedy, I’m talking nonsense. :sweat_smile:

Also, it just in most…well the 2 rpg I know of (BG2 and Nwn1&2) they are considered a ‘Class’ like say Rogue or ranger. Though if my memory is correct (don’t trust it) in Nwn2 Mage and Wizard (or was it Sorcerer?) are 2 different class and some companion even explain the difference.

2 Likes

I picked Nephilim, Angel, Mage, Orc and Other. For the other option, I think playing sentient undead character would be interesting and fun, but it’s okay if it can’t be implemented.

Very surprised that human end up that high. I mean, I picked it because I like to see a mundane, underdog MC, but I wonder if other people have different reasons to pick it. Familiarity, maybe?

1 Like

Agreed. It’s interesting to see a 4 way tie between human, demon, mage, and vampire ATM.

I’m sad orc didn’t make it higher haha. How often do you get their POV? :joy:

2 Likes

Top choice is human? How boring lol

8 Likes

Dont underestimate us humans lol. We can be pretty fun

7 Likes

VTM and WTA says otherwise

2 Likes

In the earlier poll about achievements, 19% of voters (as of my post) said they like achievements, but they’d prefer few. Now my question is what counts as few as far as achievements go? What is an acceptable number of achievements vs. an excessive amount? Assuming they are well-written achievements in your opinion, of course.

• Over some lower number than 25 is excessive
  • Over 25 is excessive
  • Over 30 is excessive
  • Over 35 is excessive
  • over 40 is excessive
  • Over 45 is excessive
  • Over 50 is excessive
  • Over 55 is excessive
  • Over 60 is excessive
  • Over some higher number than 60 is excessive

0 voters

Vice versa, what did people mean when they said they wanted “a lot”?

• I want at least 25 - 30
  • I want at least 30 - 35
  • I want at least 35 - 40
  • I want at least 40 - 45
  • I want at least 45 - 50
  • I want at least 50 - 55
  • I want at least 55 - 60
  • I want 60+
  • Other

0 voters

1 Like

“Hand them out like candy” is my policy here. :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t have a specific number in mind, though. I very much approve of using them to mark all the different routes (or at least all different outcomes) possible in a game, so they can serve as a sort of completion percentage.

So, huh, I guess I want as many as are needed to achieve that, and then a few ones just for laughs? (Like maybe naming your character something in particular, etc.) :thinking:

4 Likes