[Poll] How many people watch anime?

XD Already seen Arakawa Under the Bridge. Thank you for the recommend, though. Have you seen My Bride is a Mermaid? That’s another funny one. :smile:

I mentioned Psycho-pass, but in response to someone else mentioning it. There are two seasons now- I still haven’t watched most of the second, but the first was really good. I should try watching Assassination Classroom for a while tonight, maybe…

I second Assassination Classroom, it’s really good.

Spent most of my younger days watching such things. Prefer the older anime myself, like the original gundam series, Neon Genesis Evangelion. A shame black cat only ever amounted to one season…

I’ve seen some of Toaru Majutsu no Index, I got to the Sisters arc before being sidetracked by Railgun. As for Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, that’s definitely what I plan to watch next (partly because I just find its name fun to say.)

And I knew I’d forgotten one of the animes I’ve been watching so thank you @seabean for reminding me. I never though that I’d be that engaged by a coin devaluation scheme, but Spice and Wolf managed it.

1 Like

@Shawn_Patrick_Reed I’m disinclined to actually buy any of them and last I checked there was no Miyazaki on Netflix. I do sometimes check because I’d love to watch Princess Mononoke. I don’t watch much of anything anymore, and if I did it’d need to be a movie since I’ve not really the patience for long drawn out series.

I didn’t actually like Howl’s Moving Castle, I watched it because I’d just finished reading the book and I really enjoy Diana Wynne Jones’ writing. Well I suppose it was pretty enough, it just wasn’t the book, you know, and some of the changes seemed really odd. I think Kiki’s Delivery Service was pleasant but it was so long ago.

I strongly disliked Neon Genesis Evangelion and only watched it because it was my anime mad friend’s birthday wish and he held us hostage and made us watch 8 or so episodes. I never watched the last. DragonHalf was a loan from him and I just can’t remember it.

I hated Akira. I think it was the first anime I watched and I just really disliked it. I was likely far too young for it though and it wasn’t the sort of cartoon I was used to watching. :slight_smile:

Slayers though was lots of fun. I remember liking Shadow Skill too, I loved Yotoden, and The Heroic Legend of Arslan (even though it was frustratingly not finished). But I watched all those back in the 90s and haven’t seen them since so I’ve no idea if I’d even still like them.

1 Like

I’ll second Shawn’s passionate Mononoke recommendation, as well as your not liking Howl’s Moving Castle (I haven’t even read the book, but the narrative structure of the movie was off-putting to me. I should give it another try, though). Spirited Away and Nausicaa are fabulous, Porco Rosso is good. My three year-old and I love watching My Neighbour Totoro together; it’s the Miyazaki gateway drug for the very youngest set.

I remember Escaflowne as a terrific series. I enjoyeed Kenshin and Gurenn Lagann (so OTT!) enough to finish the series, but not enough to want to rewatch them.

When I was a kid I watched a lot of popular meant-for-kids dubbed ones: Digimon, Beyblade, Pokemon, Dragonball Z, YuYu Hakusho and some others that I’m struggling to recall. I’ve also seen a little of InuYasha and Nurarihyon no Mago, but only a few random episodes. Unfortunately, the only channel that airs most anime in my country ran into legal issues about 6-7 years ago, so my TV provider doesn’t have it anymore. I watched Attack on Titan recently, though, and I really liked it. A friend of mine is really into anime, though, and he’s trying to get me to watch Avatar: The Last Airbender (if that counts), Gurren Lagann and Death Note. Probably won’t watch any of those anytime soon, but just putting it out there.

Also, you need a ‘casual consumer’ option!

@seabean Spice and Wolf, that’s a great one. Can’t really say it’s underrated because it tends to get rated pretty high, but it has got this niche feeling (obviously) that seems to make some people overlook it. @Shawn_Patrick_Reed Did not realize there was a second season of it either (I vaguely recall there being mention of one, but didn’t realize it was out), I have to look that up.

@FairyGodfeather I’ve gotta second NGE being overrated, but mostly because so many people seem to enjoy NGE on it’s own merits, which just baffles me. It was a deconstruction of the mecha genre. You’re supposed to come away hating, or at the very least disliking, every single character in the story (well, until the end, they you’re supposed to come away with a migraine).

Lets see, what’s in my list at the moment. I could throw up Ghost in the Shell (it’s always one of my top recommendations, but there’s never enough love for sci-fi ╥_╥). Here’s one that others might actually like though: WataMote. I’m only like three or four episodes in (I put it off for a while and just restarted), but sigh such memories of high school.

I’m with you on Akira, @FairyGodfeather. It’s been a while since I’ve watched it, but I remember feeling totally underwhelmed (and kinda disturbed) watching it. It was so hyped I expected too much of it, I guess! I am considering reading the manga as some people say it’s far better.

Neon Genesis Evangelion was kinda dumb, in my opinion. I was interested in the story and all, and understood it, but it was so boring at times I couldn’t get myself to finish it more than half of it. I never really cared for the genre, admittedly, so I don’t think it’s for me.

I stand behind every Ghibli recommendation here, I’ve never disliked any! Princess Mononoke is amazing as are just about all of them, but my favorite has to be Grave of the Fireflies. Ughhhh, it was definitely a tear-fest. For a few days, at least. But it’s a classic, and rightfully so. Very beautiful.

Psycho Pass is really good. I finished the first season but never got around to the second, I’m not sure if it’s as good as the first one. I did like the concept, but I felt like the theme was kind of superficial (like a lot of anime, really).

Never watched and don’t intend on it.

Yes I have seen Monster.

I like Madoka. Rurouni Kenshin. From the New World. Death Note. Was a huge Fruitsbasket fan for ages. Grew up with Sailor Moon. I’ve seen a few but not sure if it’s just the popular ones or not, some I like are a bit more obscure and some popular ones (Naruto, Bleach) I’ve just never seen. :expressionless:

Just out of curiosity, any of you have watched Yuki Yuna?

Didn’t vote in the poll, cause none of it applies to me. I used to be quite a fan when I was a kid, but nowadays I really don’t like it anymore. I have come to resent the art style, somehow.

Yeah I did know about the movie, but I haven’t watched it yet. I actually forgot about it; thanks for reminding me.

yeah but i love log horizon the most

i watch anime and read manga everyday.
i love watching Log horizon, one piece, Naruto,bleach,fairy tail,attack on titan,Magi,world trigger,Hunter X Hunter, and so on.

@Sneaks"Incidentally, can anyone recommend an anime where the protagonist is a giant dickbag?"

School Days.

For those who want something with a (mildly) less rage inducing lead; Code Geass.

1 Like

I was more thinking about an anime where the protagonist is an asshole, but it’s awesome and funny, like Renegade Shepard. Not just a plain old shitty person that makes girls want to kill him/themselves.

Definitely Code Geass then. Lelouch can be a spectacular asshole at time, but he’s also hammy, brilliant and has his (unintentional) really funny moments.

I’ve seen Code Geass. It was pretty good, though after awhile the battles just turned into “My mecha is better!” “No, my mecha is better!” like two children trying to outdo each other in make-believe.