[Poll] How many people watch anime?

@Sneaks

‘X:1999’ is the first such anime that comes to mind. Also, ‘Gantz’.

1 Like

I’ve watched a little. But nothing mentioned. I definitely think that poll needs a few more “watched it” options and less “not watched it” :slight_smile:

I could likely list everything I’ve watched on two hands. Ok maybe I’d need some toes. Under 20 I want to say. There are a few I can’t remember the name of. And one that’s niggling away at me, annoying and I’m going to have to start googling to try and remember what it’s called.

I’m not sure I understand the obsession with it that some of my friends have had. I’m as inclined to watch western cartoons, although I don’t watch that many of them either.

Netflix keeps suggesting I watch some though.

@cyanide I have. :slight_smile: Such a wonderful anime, so often overlooked. Very Miyazaki-esque style, too.

So regarding the horror anime- I’m a big fan, too. My top recommendations for this are:
Mirai Nikki (Future Diary)
Maho Shoujo Madoka Magica
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai (they should go together)
Another
Kiseiju (Parasyte)
Tokyo Ghoul (which is still coming out)
Btoom! (stalled because the manga is slow)
Gantz
Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan … but who -hasn’t- seen this, really?)
Monster

Those I’d still recommend but aren’t on the same level or strictly horror…
Shiki
XxxHolic (has some genuinely creepy episodes)
Otome X Amnesia (ghost girl romance)
Deadman Wonderland (stalled because the manga is slow)
the various Blood series- can get rather gory
Haven’t seen it, so can’t recommend it higher at this point, but Corpse Party
And there are others I forget the names of…

Hey can any of you knowledgeable people point me to a list of fantasy anime, with female protagonists, released before 2000? I’m trying to remember the name of one of my sister’s VHS’s. I can’t even remember the plot much, let alone the name.

That’s pretty vague. You can’t elaborate a little more?

I was just looking for a website link so I can search myself since I know it’s super vague. It was fantasy, she’d to defeat a monster, or enter a tournament, or pass a test, or something very nebulous that I can’t remember. I think she had a brother (who may or may not have been dead) there was likely magic. I know that could be anything. :slight_smile: That it was on a VHS, released in or before the 90s, likely dubbed (but even that I’m not certain of) had a female protagonist.

So because it’s all so incredibly vague, I was looking for a link to a database where I can order fantasy anime titles by release date and browse pictures/descriptions of them until I find the right one. I’m currently browsing through the fantasy tag of myanimelist but it’s not ideal. And I’m only at D so far. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m kinda a weird one here, I don’t ‘watch’ anime, I only read the manga. I much prefer reading it where I can do so at my own pace. That said, I’ve read a heck lot of manga, like over 100 series or something. Now I’m just going back to re-read my favorite manga because I can’t find any new good one.

Yeah… I don’t think there’s quite enough options.
I have watched some popular ones, some sorta popular ones, and some not popular ones.
But I wouldn’t call myself an avid fan nor would I say “I watch quite a bit of it”. I watch a little teeny bit of it.
Usually my one friend recommends something and I watch it because I know she wants someone to talk about it with. I am the only one of her friends who would even consider an anime. I actually like them.
Other than that I generally don’t go looking for it unless I get struck with some weird craving/mood where I really want to watch anime. The last time that mood hit me was a few months ago when I finally watched Ouran High School Host Club which I had heard of almost a decade ago. So yeah. The mood really doesn’t hit me often. XD.

@FairyGodfeather

Sounds like The Slayers anime. Was the protagonist red-haired and short? Yeah, actually, any kind of physical description would help a whole lot. Haircolor would be a huge help, for instance.

Oh god higurashi was amazing. An anime I saw lately was very great but I forgot the name, it was about certain persons who we’re tormented by a baseball kid on rollers. I will definitly look up the titles I didnt see that you suggested. Manga wise, anyone know junji itou?

That anime would be called Paranoia Agent. :slight_smile: I’ve seen it- LOVE the intro song. :smiley:

Also… unfortunately, I haven’t read much by way of manga. I could count the number of manga I’ve read on one hand. :\ Which doesn’t mean I’m not a fan! Just that I haven’t read many, at this point…

@Shawn_Patrick_Reed No it wasn’t Slayers. I’ve watched the Slayers movie (not the series) and I’d have definitely remembered if it was them, since they’re on my list of the 10 anime I remember watching. I’m sure I did watch it around the same time as I saw the Slayers movies though.

AHA! FOUND IT! Under the S’s. Shadow Skill.

My list in the vague order of when I watched them, Akira, The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Yotoden, Slayers, Nina Scroll, Sailor Moon, Blood The Last Vampire, Dragon-Half, Sailor Moon, Card Captors, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Howl’s Moving Castle, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Hmm wait do we count the pokemon and digimon cartoons?

After that it all gets a bit vague and I don’t remember so much. And my list of those I actually liked is much, much shorter. I’ve likely been watching the wrong stuff.

Only really got into anime recently, but it’s rapidly taking over my life. Let’s see, what anime have I been watching recently?

Attack on Titan - Given its popularity, this was the one that got me into anime.

Ah! My Goddess - Not watching the anime but rather reading the manga, but I still love it (and Bell) to bits.

A Certain Scientific Railgun - I enjoyed A Certain Magical Index as well, but I still prefer Railgun.

Kill la Kill - Epic fight scenes, strong characters, sanity nowhere in sight and a metric crapton of fanservice. What’s not to love? Plus Satsuki is just awesome.

Code Geass - Lelouch you magnificent bastard.

Angel Beats! - Mainlined this series in a day, then spent the rest of night getting very drunk over the ending.

Nichijou - The first episode alone is hysterically funny and it only gets crazier from there.

Got a lot more anime I plan to watch, including CLANNAD, Fate/Stay Night, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Assassination Classroom. Unfortunately this list keeps getting longer (and I’m prone to getting sidetracked by Vocaloids) so it’ll likely be a while before I get around to watching all of these.

The only anime I’ve ever watched and enjoyed was Death Note, I’ve tried others but haven’t liked them. I prefer western animation a lot more, although I do like some mangas.

I’m more of a manga reader, mostly since I’m just more of a reader in general… I have watched a lot of anime movies, though. If it’s Studio Ghibli, I’ve watched it. :grin:

Admittedly, I’m known for never finishing a series I start… the only anime I’ve ever finished was Spice and Wolf, haha.

Puella Magi is one of the few I have seen the entire series of. Very cool series (Not at all what you’d be expecting if you look at the cutsie covers for it. Always wondered about that, so not something you’d want a 6yr old watching.) Took me a while to be convinced to watch it, very glad I did :smile:
(I picked the watched some but have never actually watched Bleach or Naruto. I haven’t seen a lot of anime largely due to time factors. Mostly watched Puella Magi, Death Note and used to watch Astro Boy if that counts.)

Going to play a human Pandora (radio) with anime, here…

@FairyGodfeather :slight_smile: Really glad you were able to find it. I’ve seen Akira, Slayers, Ninja Scroll, Blood tLV, Card Captors, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Howl’s Moving Castle, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. If you like Kiki’s and Howl’s, may I recommend more of Miyazaki’s movies? Princess Mononoke is tied for my favorite anime of all time, and I would very much like to recommend it to you. (the other favorite is Macross+)

@silent15 I’ve seen everything you mentioned, except Assassination Classroom, and most of Code Geass. XD Regarding A Certain Scientific Railgun- that series is a spinoff of Toaru Majutsu no Index, in which the main character is the guy with the awesome magic-cancelling hand. Check it out. :wink: Also, Kill la Kill is made by the people who did Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, so you’re going to LOVE that when you see it. It is the essence of pure manliness, in its purest form. XD -Sounds like a perfect way to celebrate the ending for Angel Beats. Also, regarding hysterically funny, the funniest anime I’ve ever seen is Baka to Test to Shoukanju. I guarantee laughs. There are two seasons plus a short inter-season.

@The_Ravenclaw Did you know there’s a Deathnote live action movie? I actually prefer it over the anime, but some people feel different. Might want to check it out if you haven’t.

@seabean XP Me too, regarding Ghibli. Miyazaki more specifically. And, Spice and Wolf is great. You know there are two seasons of Spice & Wolf?

@Jacic Ohhh, sooo much. It’s dark and sinister and twisted wrapped in cute and fluffy! I saw a meme recently with the cat-thing by a sick kid’s bed with a ‘make a wish foundation’ shirt on with the caption ‘NOT alright!’ XD Also, if you liked Puella Magi, may I recommend Mirai Nikki to you? Think you’d enjoy that one. :wink:

Y’all can thank me later. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Which ones did you actually like?

Seconding the recommendations for Slayers (I think I actually meant that, not Sorcerer Hunters) and Baka no Test. Since you like funny stuff along that line, I’d suggest checking out Arrakawa: Under the Bridge - the writing and art are great, but it’s also hilarious.

Assassination Classroom is on my list of stuff to watch - I saw about five minutes of it and it looks awesome. I’ve also seen a few episodes of Psycho Pass, which someone mentioned (maybe it was you)? and really enjoyed them.

Working!! is a hilarious romance/comedy show about the different weirdos who work in this one restaurant.