Devil's Heart

Ah, sorry. I don’t play the previous title, as you can see. :sweat_smile:

Ah, em, ok. I get it guys.

Plz… forgive me…

Haha! He already mentioned that he read the link already
You’re late to the party.
evil laugh heard on the background

This sounds like a lot of fun. I had a thought, but it would change the story drastically each time, so you’d end up having to write different stories for the same game; what if there are different motivations or catalysts for the MC?
Like…
Motivation Example: The MC is affected very negatively by the discrimination they receive from being a halfer, so they seek to destroy one of the two species that they descend from.
Catalyst Example: Some amoral humans kidnap them because they want to see what makes a halfer tick, but end up accidentally awakening the MC’s full potential after, say, torturing them to the brink of madness so they start hunting down everyone that was involved in their torture.

…those are only examples of different ones that could be set, but I think it’d be interesting. Not just changing a few story elements, but changing the story all together depending on a choice or two. Though, I probably shouldn’t suggest that to you if this is your first project.

Nooooo. :scream:

Too bad… Maybe next time.

I like this. It’s rare to find stories where humans know about demons, etc, so it will be interesting to see how that works in the world you create! :slight_smile:

Also a good idea. I think it would very limiting- fun, but limiting- and it gives more variety if you don’t follow the sins.

I’m really liking the sound of the ideas you have so far. I’m always down for games like this :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello and welcome!
While I can’t help you with the demons’ problem, I imagine that your story will have a lot of fights and will be action-packed.
I’m coming from a place where people are debating fiction all the time and I’m trying to help people with that kind of stuff. When I heard that DMC has inspired you to make this story, I was intrigued because DMC is a quite powerful universe to begin with (I’m talking that they are capable of destroying the universe itself). From what I have seen here, I know that not many people here are taking the power of their stories (and by “power”, I mean how strong the people from their stories are) seriously, and even if they did, they aren’t focused on it but are focused on romance instead which is kind of understandable. So far, I have seen only 3 stories that has this element in them. For example, in “Keeper of the Sun and Moon”, the full-blooded demons are stated to be capable of destroying entire worlds (which places them at Planetary level of power). I’m not saying that their stories should be like “Dragon Ball Z” but I rarely see stories like that.
So, what I’m trying to say is that if you are going to make an action-packed story, first you need to have a Tiering System which will help you ranking your characters in terms of power. This might help you avoid making Mary-Sue types of character or overpowered characters.
If there are going to be demons and angels, you can visit this place to help you figure out the powers and abilities they may have. There is a lot of useful material that will help you with magic.

I hope that I helped you.
1 Like

Hmmm… I’m not sure how to reconcile the fantasy with the supernatural, but I think that also begs the question what creatures are fantasy and what are supernatural.

Demons have made themselves known to everyone; how, I haven’t decided yet. Humans can see them and other creatures can see them, that much I’ve established. I’m thinking that the reason why other creatures regard demons as “the big bad” is because demons are omnivores and are typically the apex predator.

Angels typically imply that there’s going to be some religious force, and a good vs. evil fight/war between the two sides and I don’t know how I would explain their reason to be “at war” with the demons in this world. Since the MC is half demon, I don’t want to fall into the Trope of Good Angels Become Evil because you’re an abomination in their eyes. Very weak.

That is a serious question, and it deserves a serious answer! :smiley:

I’m thinking along the lines of that it is optional that the MC can go out and hunt demons, but I also want your line of thinking to be an option to. I don’t know how far I’ll diverge into story telling yet, but I’m thinking of “solving” this problem by having demons be cannibalistic, in addition to omnivorous. Meaning, you as a half human half demon hybrid are a rare treat for them to eat.

So, the MC doesn’t necessarily doesn’t have to go out and hunt demons, but that doesn’t mean that they’re not going to hunt down and try to eat the MC. Because the MC is half demon, that means they can benefit from eating other demons to!

It’s kinda weak, but that’s the best I can think of at the moment.

1 Like

So if you do make the demons somewhat cannibalistic does that mean that consuming their own kind somehow boost their abilities?

And can we as a half-demon eat our fellow demons too?

EDIT: That can be another motive for the MC too, you know gaining power and world domination :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Somewhat yes and yes. Demons can hunt and eat other demons in order to gain the “energy” others demons have generated from the human souls they’ve devoured. It’s more profitable than eating humans souls, but it’s also more dangerous because the situation can turn sideways rather quickly with the predator becoming the prey.

As a half-demon, the MC can “eat” their fellow demons and grow from their power. At that point, the MC isn’t eating human souls, but rather the “energy” that the demon has generated from those souls; the souls, at that point in the digestion, are “gone” - no longer are they the identity of that individual - but rather just “energy”.

2 Likes

It sounds very promising! I want to try and include motivations similar to that, but yes… this is my first project, so I’ll see how far I can push it. :sweat_smile:

I see a red door and I want t paint it black

Doesn’t sound strange.[quote=“AChubbyBlackCat, post:1, topic:27608”]
Existence of angels is questionable.
[/quote]

So demons aren’t fallen angels? There goes my god complex… you got me excited with the Lovecraft remark…

3 Likes

A game just like devil may cry with the MC being like the original Dante? I’m in.

Sorry to burst your bubble. :sweat_smile:

Eh, no. Demons aren’t fallen angels. It’s possible that a demon might masquerade to look like an angel in order to gain more food - like an angler fish! - but it’s still a demon with souls been a staple of its diet.

1 Like

If we do meet an angel, can we eat it?

I feel like that’s going to be my first question to any species here…

4 Likes

Jesus in a thread about demons…

If it’s a demon masquerading to look like an angel, then yes! Nom nom~

So I can’t just eat anyone/anything to get stronger?

Reminds me a little bit at diablerie in the old World of Darkness: Vampires consuming other Vampire’s blood and soul to gain powers and the pleasure of said delicacy… Just that here it’s about demons…

I honestly wouldn’t call it weak. It’s a solid concept why the MC should at least avoid demons without forcing any arbitary motivation at the MC. And it’s a simple enough conflict to start the game with and allows for a certain streamlining that will make your work easier.
Unless you mean “simple” when you say weak, but believe me simple starting points for a conflict are neither bad nor weak. See it as way to get the main character stumble down the rabbit hole…

2 Likes

Thanks for your insight! I don’t want a motivation that potentially isolates readers because it doesn’t align with how they want to play, but at the same time, I wanted a motivation broad enough to believable.

I think that wanting to avoid being eaten, and dying, is a believable enough motivation.

3 Likes

Absolutely

1 Like