Paceing with a time-crunch

So. I have run into a bit of a rode block, sort of.
Right now? I want my book to end on newyears. However, I need 4 weeks, 28 days spasificly, between the start of the book, and the midpoint, or the end of chapter 3. Only problem is, I want the midpoint, to be on Dec 21, soulstess. Anyway. Unsure how to get that all done.
Could anyone help me with this problem? Any ideas?

Start with outlining what events you want to take place in the story, at what dates those events take place, and at what chapter or section of the game you want them to take place. Then try to get about as many of those events to happen after Dec 21st, your chosen midpoint, as before it. How many days pass before or after isn’t that important. In writing you can make years pass in a single sentence, and take 20 pages to describe something that happens in minutes. It’s really your choice what things you want to put emphasis on.

3 Likes

Depending on what world your WIP is set in, you can always create your own calendar (just make sure to explain it!) and then the winter solstice can be the exact midpoint and new years the end. Or go with @Cecilia_Rosewood’s idea and make it a less literal midpoint, but rather a midpoint in the story, not in in the calendar.

To code a calender you can create a file to run the check and *gosub_scene calendar

*create day 1
*create month 1
*create year 2020

*label date_check
*if (((month = 4) or (month = 6)) or ((month = 9) or (month = 11)))
    *if day = 30
        *set day 1
        *set month +1
        *goto year_check
    *else
        *set day +1
        *goto year_check

*elseif (month = 2)
    *if day = 28
        *set day 1
        *set month +1
        *goto year_check
    *else
        *set day +1
        *goto year_check

*else
    *if (day = 31)
        *set day 1
        *set month +1
        *goto year_check
    *else
        *set day +1
        *goto year_check

*label year_check 
*if (day = 31) and (month = 12)
    *set year +1
    *goto return_scene
*else
    *goto return_scene

*label return_scene
*return

Then at the end of each day you just need to put *gosub_scene calendar
*goto next _scene

Then it will go to the date code to set it and return to go to next_scene.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes