Unpacking CS files issue

I’m having trouble with the files.

The error I’m getting is: after I open the zip, extract the files, it says to press on ‘run-server.bat’ but I can’t find the button.

If you read the make your own game section where you got the file from it will tell you the following.

Trying it out

To begin, if you haven’t already, you’ll need to install Node.js. Node 10 or higher should be fine.

Next, download the ChoiceScript source from GitHub. It’s a zip file, a “compressed folder” with all of its files smooshed together into a single file.

You’ll need to extract the entire zip file. Note that, on Windows, if you double click on a zip file, it will open the compressed folder, making it look like a regular folder. You’ll need to click the “Extract” button and then “Extract All” to use ChoiceScript.

Once you’ve extracted the zip file, you’ll need to launch the ChoiceScript server.

• Windows: Double-click on run-server.bat . Windows hides the part of the file name after the dot, so run-server.bat looks like run-server .

• The first time you run it, Windows will pop up the Windows Defender SmartScreen (“Windows protected your PC”). Click “More Info” and then “Run anyway.

I understand that much, but I don’t get how to launch and can’t find the run-server.bat

The last part says to double click run-server.bat which looks like run-server

Edit: Did you launch the choicescript server?

1 Like

Yes, but where is the run server button? And how do I launch it?

Are you on windows or Mac

1 Like

Windows, and I’m actually stupid enough to not know how to launch the choicescript server

Did you find the ”run-server.bat” file? There’s no button, you just double-click it (or click it once and hit enter).

1 Like

1 Like

There’s a file?!?! That’s even more confusing, I’ll try, thanks!

You absolute blessing. I thought it was a button, not a file, bless.

1 Like

I’m having trouble with the zip files for Node. I can’t find a button to extract all the files, if that’s what I’m supposed to do.

Right click on the entire “zipped” choicescript folder.
Select “extract all”

If you’re not getting that option you may need to install a windows file zipping application.

2 Likes

Oh man. I downloaded Node, Firefox, the choice script and now this?

Keep in mind, you don’t have to set up a “virtual” server to playtest your game. The deal is, however, you’d have to get through a window where CS asks you to “upload” your game every time you restart the game.

All these terms don’t mean that you need online connection to playtest your game, for context.

Speaking of which, do you have an archive-manager program? The likes of Winzip, WinRAR, or 7zip. If you don’t, you have to get them to extract the CS .zip file.

1 Like

WinRAR will do the job for that file zipping app.

Weird… I am pretty sure Microsoft had given the Explorer the ability to unzip files like they were simply folders by the Win7. Maybe I’m wrong?

That’s right, Windows can open .zip files on its own. Not .rar files though, you still need a program for those.

On an unrelated note, this thread sure makes me glad that I use the Choicescript IDE. So much less hassle!

5 Likes

Okay, so I ran the file, and some little black screen popped up. What now?

That little window should automatically open your game in your default web browser. In addition that little window also shows URL to your game, so you can enter it in browser manually if it doesn’t open for some reason.