On The Hunt | Short Demo

Yeah, at least one region specific monster like that.

Well, the basics at first. Then on to the weirder ones.

For the time being, probably nothing outside of the United States. This might include Alaska, Hawaii or even Puerto Rico, though. (But my boyfriend says they don’t really have any cryptids? Maybe ghost pirates or Tainos idk lol)

JJy6gPAZo6syA

Lol.

You will definitely be able to go to Mexico in later games, at the very least.

7 Likes

Hello people. Sorry about the inactivity but I hit a creativity pot-hole at full speed and ended up losing control of the wheel and getting t-boned by the semi trucks that are both life and My Hero Academia.

But as you can see by my convoluted metaphor, my creativity is back, and I have the next four days off. So expect an update for this baby soon.

Then after that, as promised, I’ll crank out a demo for my other WIP, The Beast Within. Hopefully that’ll be within a week or two.

Thanks to everyone for your continued interest and support!

16 Likes

Heh thanks for the prompt response @DarthDovahkin great to hear about the plans and you’re right about the myths in the areas of the US outside of the mainland not having any truly unique cryptids but I’ll admit that its not an area of expertise for me as most of my knowledge is centered around the eastern seaboard myths with my home state of New York being an area of particular strength as well as the southern states with a focus on bayou myths and lore. Sorry if it seems like I’m forcing my wishes on you but I felt like stating my belief in the potential of the series based of the premise you’ve laid out and how passionate the fan base is from the vote. Glad to hear you are making progress and never feel bad about writers block since the COG community is one of the few that understands that time equals quality as the longer a game takes the more detail and an even more enjoyable game for us. Keep up the great work and know that we all await further details with bated breath

1 Like

It’s curious, I was laying in bed thinking about hoping online, when i got an email telling me that you had commented.

Then i was like “Welp, guess i have to, now.”

You don’t seem like you’re pushing your ideas on me, only asking questions. Nothing wrong with that. I like people who ask questions, it helps me think about the world and characters more.

So, to you and everyone else, ask away!

6 Likes

I posted another small update but once again, it’s nothing to get excited about. No new choices, just added some more reading. The update after this one, whenever that comes around, should hopefully be the interesting one.

I’ve been having problems working on this game right now because the game itself has a lot of violence planned, and my adopted mother was recently hospitalized because of domestic abuse.

There is of course no domestic abuse in this game, but writing violence is just putting me off at the moment.

So with that having been said, I’m going to take some time and instead focus on The Beast Within for awhile. It’s a more light hearted game and I think my current mindset is better suited for it.

You can expect me to return to OTH after I’ve released a demo for TBW.

Sorry I’m terrible at this stuff.

19 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your mom @DarthDovahkin and my thoughts go out to you and your family right now. Never worry about any delays in writing we all know how much life interferes with what we want to do and you’ll never meet a more understanding community than the one in COG as we are all just folks moving through life at our own pace. Please don’t feel pressured to write anything that makes you feel uncomfortable at this time on our account and if it helps I know there’s about fifty percent of your fans that are thrilled to hear that your working on TBW. I hope that your mother gets better soon and that you’ll be able to distress through some fun writing. Best wishes :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@DarthDovahkin I’m so sorry this has happened. I wish there was more us internet strangers could do, but as it is, all we can offer is positive thoughts for your and your adopted mother, and hope for both a speedy recovery and the chance for her and everyone you love to live a safe and loving life beyond this.

Please, please don’t feel obligated to write for this because of some internet poll. If writing the Beast Within will help you in these times, then by all means. But don’t even feel obligated to do that if you can’t muster it. If that even means staying off the forums, that’s completely understandable. Take all the time you need. What matters most right now is you and your family, and it’s important that you stay safe and maintain your mental equilibrium.

Come back and write at your own speed and your own time. Yourself and your family are most important right now, writing and message boards will always be here when you get back, ok?

Sending lots of positive vibes your way!

:two_hearts: :hugs: :sparkling_heart: :heart: :purple_heart: :blue_heart: :green_heart: :yellow_heart: :orange_heart: :heart: :sparkling_heart: :hugs: :two_hearts:

11 Likes

Saw it mentioned when I found The Beast Within, so thought I’d check it out! I know the demo hasn’t covered the main plot point yet (hunting), but I’m interested! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your interest.

1 Like

…I kind of really like talking about monsters, so I have a couple questions. When you say “the basics”, I assume you mean basic European fantasy stuff, right? Vampires, trolls, werewolves, goblins, stuff like that? Maybe this is too much to ask, but I’d really like to know if you have information on any other monsters you’d be willing to add. At first I assumed that it was a fantasy setting, given the hunting monsters part, but the gasoline and lighters suggest that it’s more modern. That’s good, because it means that myths and legends that might have been regionally exclusive in the past have the potential to exist in other places on the globe, thanks to the expansion of civilization. Now, as much as I would love to give some examples as to things that would be great to see (and/or hunt), I really don’t know that much about mythology outside of European stuff, and most of that is from modern fantasy, which isn’t entirely accurate to the original depictions of monsters. I do remember one belief though, coming from ancient Egypt. Now, it’s been a while since I first learned this one, so forgive me if my explanation is a bit off, but as far as I can remember it goes something like this. The ancient Egyptians lived along the Nile River, as I’m sure you know, and within that river were several dangerous creatures, including the crocodile. For the most part, the crocodile leaves humans alone, they’re generally more perceptive than the average animal, and they’re quite adept at making weapons with which to take revenge, but it did occasionally happen that a crocodile attacked and killed an Egyptian. The ancient Egyptians believed that when this did happen, it was because the crocodile was possessed by a soul that had been wronged by the victim in its past life, and the death was simply the soul taking revenge. Again, that might not be exactly correct, but I think it would be an interesting concept to go off of. And if you’re really going to go with a sort of Supernatural-esque bayou setting, then it might be fun to apply the idea to native alligators.

I’m out right now, but I have notes on my tablet at home. I’ll try to share them later tonight if I remember. I kind of have bad memory sometimes. Lol.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.