On The Hunt | Short Demo

Some of you… Well, at least 500 of you, will already know what this is about. But for those of you that don’t, here is your summary.

On The Hunt
Play as a man, woman, both or neither and travel the country with your twin, hunting down the things that go bump in the night.
Play as gay, straight, bisexual or asexual.
Spare the monsters that you think are less dangerous, or kill all of them.
Be a hunter, psychic or bookworm.
In each chapter, hunt a new monster.
Gain new possible allies through-out the story and decide on who you want to bring with you on your hunts.

Characters
Dad: Your birth father, he owns a farm but he’s planning on retiring it if you or your sibling don’t take over it eventually. Emotional, honest, anxiety-ridden.
Pop: Your step father, he’s the one who brought hunting into the family. Sarcastic, protective, care-free.
Mom: Your birth mother, she claims to be a psychic. She isn’t around very often. Stoic, quiet, thoughtful.
Andrew/Adaline/Alex: Your twin, the only person in the world you can truly trust. Genuine, funny, a true jokester.

Romances
To be added.

Yeah it’s late and I’m not sure what else to share right now.

The demo is really short. The thread is mostly here for conversation, questions, and suggestions. I plan on updating the link more tomorrow since I don’t work, but we’ll see.

DEMO
https://dashingdon.com/play/Darthdovahkin/on-the-hunt/mygame/index.php?cb=76517

90 Likes

Got this when I tried to replay

Not sure why that would happen. I’ll check it out in the morning but for now, you can just refresh the page.

1 Like

Eyyy! That was a quicker turnaround than I expected—not that I’m complaining. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Typos, nothing big.

oth%202

"Sorry. I don’t always know my own strength," says your twin…

oth3

“Easy,” he says, “your torch isn’t lit yet.”

OtH

Self-explanatory, lol.

oth4

Generally, when a new character has dialogue, a new paragraph is started, for the sake of clarity.
The narrative that comes before it less clear, but I would start the new paragraph at Andrew.

“Hey!” You say defensively. “This is mine!”

Andrew laughs and raises his hands in feigned innocence. “What? You mean Fox is different from Andrew? Guess I forgot how to read.”

I do have one question: Why not simply name the twin Alex, regardless of gender, so that only the twin’s pronouns are variables?
It just seems like it’d be less work if you did that, but I’m also an unabashed lazyass, so…
¯\ _ (ツ) _ /¯

Also, RIP me!!
None of my usual female character names go well with Creed as a surnname. :eyes: :sweat_drops: But if I go to baby name websites, then the Gerber baby food ads will target me again. :weary:
Curse my stupid preference for meaningful names!

6 Likes

Can there be an option to choose the gender of the twin so we can be fraternal twins?

1 Like

Yes, the choice comes up when you choose their name.

Ok thanks I assumed it was the old demo.

I don’t know if I’d be betraying @TSSL by posting here… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: but this looks like a good (if short) start. (I mean, I’m still more interested in The Beast Within, but I’d certainly like to see where this goes…)

I did notice this slight issue:

“Hey!” You say defensively. “This is mine!” Andrew laughs and raises his hands in feigned innocence. “What? You mean Andrew is different from Andrew? Guess I forgot how to read.”

Maybe don’t let us choose our twin’s name as our own? :innocent:

12 Likes

huehuehue, I was wondering when someone would do that.

But hey, I mean, one could be Andy, the other could be Drew… :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

It’s finally here.
Thank you author for your hard work, and you decided to work on The beast within too.

That’s quite a lot of work. So let me gift you with a rare specimen:

A smiling grumpy cat :open_mouth:

13 Likes

I just thought that that particular quote was offering too good an opportunity to be missed… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Fay: that’s possibly the single most horrifying thing I’ve ever seen… :grimacing:

3 Likes

The demo was shorter than I anticipated. I can’t really determine much from the excerpt you published, but so far it seems okay.
Hopefully, when you publish more I’ll have a better opinion of it.

Don’t know how to do that yet, but I’ll look it up in the morning

That being said, my boyfriends older brothers are twins (so is he) and they’re both named Oscar. Always thought that was odd, but apparently it’s not as unusual as I thought.

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll fix those in the morning. I’m not exactly the best with grammar. I’ll need an editor eventually.

Because I’m a masochist, of course.

Also, I’m doing that for The Beast Within. Everyone has gender neutral names. So I wanted to do it differently here. It’s not too huge a difference, really.

You could choose the gender of your twin in the old demo, too.

I did warn you.

But, like I said, this thread is mainly here for discussion right now. There were a lot of people that voted in the poll waiting for something. I just wanted them to know I’m working on it.

3 Likes
*if ("$!!{name}" = "ANDREW")
    That's your twin's name...

Fair enough. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I’ll implement it ASAP.

So much this. :cry:

I think you’re a rotten traitor, on the other hand TSSL appears to be much more good-natured and forgiving then I am. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Already dude! You’re amazing.

1 Like

“Not Winchester” hahahahahahahaha deep inhale hahahahaha

I don’t know why that’s so funny to me :joy:

10 Likes

Demo was shorter than I thought, though from your summary it does sound promising. I will definitely keep my eye out for further updates.

2 Likes

REEEEEEEEEEEEE. Beast Within Who? Never heard of her.

I do like this though, and I guess I’ll be gay either way. :triumph:

4 Likes