OFNA: Birds of a Feather (WIP - Updated 8/09/22)

Could we have a shrike be a possible familiar? (Can see it raising your moral questionability given its…interesting habits.)

i think it’s perfect and would add more variety to the player character’s personality even if it doesn’t add much to the stats!

also, i reread this again last night and have to say that i’m definitely amazed at how the player’s familiar responds to them. it’s an amazing detail you managed to incorporate, and i’m absolutely looking forward to spending more time with the little goldfinch!

1 Like

One of the things that can raise your trust by a sizeable chunk pretty early is an interaction with Aunt Drew. I happened to look at my stats before, and after the conversation, and was baffled by the sudden increase. I didn’t think my MC was being particularly trusting by asking how she knew, or indicating that they aren’t going to just go along with the wishes of this strange group, but… It might have seemed like a little bit of ‘authorial’ omniscience spilled over in doing something “trusting” toward our aunt. Would that possibly be the case? :thinking:

3 Likes

I am already in love with the WIP :heart_eyes:
Keep up the good work :clap: :+1:

3 Likes

Sorry, but I am pretty set on the five we have now. I have set personalities for each and also plans for each familiar, so I will not be adding any additional ones.

It’s actually authorial stupidity because I switched between regular stat additions and fairmath between the chapters :sweat_smile: I’m going to fix that stat in the next update, actions in chapter 4 should be affecting it a lot more.

6 Likes

Mini Update - Feb 18th, 2021

Hi everyone! So good news and bad news…
Good news: I edited the current chapters to fix typos, continuity issues, and added additional options in certain places (especially for your resistant MCs, I’m trying guys!)
Bad news: Broke everyone’s save files. Long story short, I decided that I needed a better way to track secrets and who knows what going forward. So sorry, but also this may happen a few more times! Very much a WIP over here.

I have edited the demo on dashingdon to update the current chapters with a few changes. Let me know if you find any new mistakes!

• Can manually set gender of Simon/Simone and Bea/Beau before the story starts (or just let the game do it automatically like before)
  • A lot of grammatical/typo fixes
  • Certain stats adjusted to be more balanced and reflective of choices
  • Some additional choices/flavor text for resistant MCs
  • Longer “hostile” dialogue choice with Greystone

At this point, I am going to table more changes to chapter 1 through 4 in the demo. I know some people are not totally happy with current options to resist OFNA, but I want to keep my forward momentum going and continue on in the story. I promise I have a lengthy list of sections I need to go back to before I put the beta out. I am not ignoring your feedback and I really appreciate all the help <3

I’m targeting the end of March to have the first draft of chapter five up!

45 Likes

YaY :smile_cat::smirk_cat::kissing_cat:

Aww :roll_eyes::neutral_face::expressionless:

Ooh :kissing_cat::heart_eyes_cat: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Damn :star_struck: :partying_face: :face_with_monocle:

Just be careful not to overwork yourself like a crazy workaholic :crazy_face: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_monocle: and mess up your health, take care of yourself @ofna

4 Likes

aw yay! nice to see more dialogues added for resistant mc! looking forward to restart the whole game again and replaying a different mc than before!

good luck with chapter 5! hoping all goes well for youn!

4 Likes

Omg thank you :333
Man, I’m so excited for this - I really dig how productive you are :3

2 Likes

Skimming through the comments a lot of people are gonna be dragged to OFNA kicking and screaming, huh. They really need to look into their recruitment methods; I bet they’d have a lot more docile little initates joining if they presented themselves like Hogwarts instead of CREEPY BIRD CULT. (Also getting to the impressionable little kiddies when they’re nice and mallable is always good)

You’ve done the resistance path really, really well??? Like I admit most stories I read where the MC is rebelling against The Fantasy Calling have me rolling my eyes and going just quit you’re whining and get with the programme, but you’ve really done a good job of making the first impressions of the cult something that a sufficently stubborn MC would be really rebelling against. Setting your apartment on fire to flush you out and then outright kidnapping you? Forcing you to touch the cage and then claim it’s binding?? Yeah they shouldn’t be too surprised when a very resentful initiate refuses to sit in a friendship circle and sing kumbaya lol

Right now my MC is firmly in the DO NOT WANT CAMP but has reluctantly accepted that they’re
outmatched right now (mainly due to Elliot no selling every punch that got thrown at him) so the resentment has turned down to a high simmer until they can grind up their powers to the point where they can tell this bird cult exactly where to stick it. Since said cult is packing emotion readers
that’s…probably not going to be the smartest plan but hey, this MC is all MUSCLE and HEART
with only 5% brain. (Starling is gonna be the brains of this outfit I can already tell)

Honestly if the baddies DON’T try to recruit MC at some point they’re seriously dropping the ball lol. The most accepting I can ever see this MC being of the OFNA is grudgingly working alongside
them take down the big bad, and then ONLY because letting the enemy rampage unchecked will lead to innocent people being hurt. If they could peace out without blood of innocents potentially being on their hands they’d do so in a heartbeat. (Also if their future RO won’t leave the society then MC will probably VERY RELUCTANTLY play somewhat nice-ish so they won’t make their RO tooooo mad but…shhhhh MC hasn’t worked that part out from themselves yet)

If the resistance path doesn’t lock us out of some pro society ROs, then I hope down the line
there’ll be some conflict during the romance path re: is MC gonna bounce at the first oppotunity
they get and break their heart?

I don’t blame the Aunt Drew for not telling us about OFNA IF she’s 100% muggle. Because if she is and she raised us muggle too then if she suddenly started talking about magical birds my MC would
be looking at booking her in for an intervention. If she’s more involved in OFNA than she told us at the diner then my MC will be looking to have words with her.

Finally if poor Elliot is stuck babysitting MC and Simon then all I can picture is that meme of the harried adult trying to control two toddlers on leashes. He’s gonna have so much fun

14 Likes

The resistance path have some sweet physical bonuses and what could be a better reason, right ?

1 Like

I admit I was speccing MC to be 100% charisma based but after I realised that punching Elliot was an option I went back and made them physical / charisma mix. Now more physical over charisma with the boosts.

Also I’m laughing at MC choosing to punch Elliot and then turning around to highkey flirt with him at the gates, that WTF look he gave them was 100% justified. Also same with slamming the doors on and being generally antisocial to the twins faces and then going on to flirt with them later. I guess even though they HATE EVERYTHING about OFNA they have an obvious weakness for attractive people? (inb4 cult realises they’ve got a soft spot for an RO and tries to use that to bring a more rebellious MC to heel - maybe having a nice chat with RO to strongly encourage them to play along with MCs advances…?)

9 Likes

That’s some chaotic energy :joy:

9 Likes

Coming from an all blue stat grumpypants MC to boot! Really it was breaking RP character, but asking me to resist Mr Tall Dark and Snarky is an exercise in futility

…I’ll justify it as MC being a sucker for a pretty face even when they really, really shouldn’t be

Some of the ROs’ positions on OFNA may surprise you :eyes:

Also, there will be no lock outs to any RO routes. The only way to be locked out of them is to indicate in Chapter 1 that your character
a) is not interested in romantic relationships, or
b) not interested in a certain gender (e.g. if you select ‘only interested in men’, you cannot do Natasha’s romance path)

There will also be an option to opt out at the point where you can select a romance route just in case none of the ROs really struck you.

I’m glad you liked the story so far, always nice to hear people’s thoughts on the game! :blush:

Aren’t we all…

12 Likes

Never really thought I’d be interested in ornithology but dang this is pretty interesting! Can’t wait for more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really specific request: There really wasn’t an option when choosing to be willing to join or not that was “I want powers/magics, fuck everything else”. Could something like that be added? c:

Also, I would like to add that there is definitely no internalised bitterness regarding bird choice not including like some cool bird-of-preys or THE MOST OBVIOUS FUCKING COOL GOTH SHIT FUCKING MAGIC WITCH BIRD ravens/crows, and that I’m sure you have your reasons and that they are completely valid and make up for the fact you did not include EYELINER-ASS ULTRAMAGIC BIRDLORD ravens.

3 Likes

That’s a good one! I just added it to my list of long-term changes to make. I’ll try to include something like that in the final version, thanks for the feedback! <3

5 Likes

It’s really great and there seems to be a lot of replayability :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I’m already curious on how the classes will go for training the MC’s gift(s?) XD

My MC is one of the few accepting MCs XD for many reasons:

Her Personal Reasons
  1. A long break from her tedious and monotone job is just what she needs
  2. She doesn’t just get to have a break; they also get to pay her rent XD (also nice room)
  3. She doesn’t find the twins all that rude and have met even worse customers (mainly because she really wasn’t resisting all that much)
  4. If what Greystone said is true, then this “initiation” thing may also be the rare ticket to her dream career
  5. Even just learning to use her “persuasion gift” is enough to help her in that path
  6. They said it will only “last two months”
  7. She’ll get to know about her mother more from the inside
  8. From what Kathy says (and from what she secretly eavesdropped on), it seems like the father is more the problem?
  9. Though if she found out that OFNA really is the enemy, then she’ll have a better chance convincing the others that OFNA should be the one stopped because Why else would she ruin her clean cut record and school rapport now??
  10. Cute bird.

And for her, if she ended up dying in OFNA
At the very least, her last two months isn’t spent hauling gigantic trash bags

Though even she is disappointed with what Kathy’s note said

Like she managed to say about how her mother loved her father too much and eleborate on it a little
But not say that one line her Aunt Drew already implied?XD
And she even looked suspicious to Beau because of that note as well

3 Likes

Also also I don’t really know any of the birds so I have to Google them each and :laughing:

images - 2021-03-12T172119.073

Wow the black capped chickadee just looks so adorable :rofl:
Ball of floof :heart:

14 Likes