Of Death and Beasts (Rework of "Of Beasts and Humans"). Update post 142, 1/18/2018

Found an error with talking to the “Musketeer” at the party:
NicoBall line 67: increasing indent not allowed, expected 15 was 16

This was after I chose the middle option when first talking to him; I also tried a path where I chose the first option, and was kicked out of the game (didn’t see the error message, sorry.)

3 Likes

Everything is great… except the chat with the musketeer. When you chose one of the options to interact with him, the game kicked me off. Other than that, it’s wonderful!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your support! <3 to all (and another heart to you @ApricotJam ) .I was on vacation (uploaded it before I went on my flight, talk about last minute) so I can finally post a response.

Regarding the musketeer, I should be able to fix it sooner rather than later. I know the first part worked fine but I assume the latter ones didn’t. Sorry bout that. You’re peaches @Sashira and @pizzamarket

@anon49824592
Regarding yours since you make some good points/inquiries (thanks for the compliments though, they’re super sweet~.

1. I’ll admit I skip it too. I mostly did it so people that don’t want politics/backstory don’t need to go have it in an unskippable part when it should be plot instead. Please tell me how to make it less grating I’m dying

2. Louizolette has been pretty base-breaking since she’s been created. However, she fades from the limelight depending on what route. If you go for the Eldritch Doctor/Selias, she becomes very prominent and technically the antagonist of his route. The Narrators are actually critical to the Behind-The-Scenes plot that is going on. Cause meta.

3. This is such a relevant question! Okay so as one can see on the stats screen there are weird bars with Oujou/Moe/Jerk/ect on them. I’ve been fiddling with it so I can work out a personality system like other WIPs out there. I know Tough is probably similar to one of them. And granted, most people would be shook by being kidnapped by a monster terrorist group.

8 Likes

Haven’t tried the demo, but I’m guessing there will be lots of references and stuff :upside_down_face:

+1 for the Junko narrator though.

EDIT: Read the first ~5 pages and I can safely say that i’d be getting this the moment you complete it.

1 Like

Hello all! Think coding is easy? It’s as hard as making walkthrough guides! Walkthrough guides! And all the updates take months and full of errors! So this is…

Dumb Author’s Poll of Potentially Blowing Things Up!

Disregarding the obscure Dark Souls jokes, I have a question for whoever is still interested in this. I’ve been gradually losing interest in coding this (hence the lack of updates) but I still want to keep it alive. So I have two questions, one being a poll the other just a general question. The general one being if you guys want to keep the Ball aspect or get rid of it. And in that vein, should I just completely revamp the Prologue?

Poll question is if I should blow up the plot of PC being a royal kidnapped by the Monster rebel force and make it a bit more unique. It’ll have the same characters and whatnot with the same roles. Alia will still be a maid, I just gotta fedangle with that one a bit.

• Yes, give us something different!
  • No opinion, would like it no matter what
  • No, keep it as is!
0 voters

Edit 7/21/17
Dumb Author is Dumb and Realized it was Too Much Effort to restart.
So I’m just rewriting parts, making it make more plot-sense, ect. Louizolette’s intro is gone for good (sorry folks) and I’m taking an ever-so-slightly more serious tone with it. I haven’t been fiddling too much since I got a job and my computer’s charger is blown up. But the shopkeep plan is a bust and have henceforth been deleted. Nico being a Nature Chimera God remains however. I’m unsure if this is bumping :sweat: but I didn’t want the thread to close given the project is still a WiP…it just has a very sketchy updating schedule.

2 Likes

Where’s “I need to see what is replacing it first”?

tbh i just want more Alia :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

We all know Alia is best Waifu. Good taste.

Also, after given some sleep, I am starting to lean towards the fourth idea. How would y’all like the idea of hunting down monsters to make them pay for your insurance?

Edito: More elaboration! Possible option of having PC and Alia be travelling traders [ala Lawrence and Holo in Spice and Wolf] that are roped into things they have 0 interest in being roped into. All because a certain group of monsters wanted to wreck their carriage. Now PC and Alia need to hunt down the culprits, gaining party members along the way who have been spited themselves.

8 Likes

I enjoyed being a Royal but feel you should write what excites you -

1 Like

I liked how the story was going to begin with but I’m all up for an overhaul if that’s what you prefer.

1. Reminds me of a certain manga that has a similar-in-concept premise but set in a modern setting. Also pretty much a gimmee in terms of setup, as you’ve mentioned. Shouldn’t be too hard.

2. Never heard of Faust or Inferno but it sounds interesting, where we are forced to work with an organization that (assuming the goals stay the same) is determined to put monsters first and put their interests ahead of your own.

3. Sounds similar to The Sea Maiden, especially since Myoura is now even more aquatic-based. I’d probably change it up a bit so that it doesn’t sound similar.

4. I can very easily see this end up being a stealthy parody of Monster Hunter and conventional anime character arctypes. I can see it coming. I can see it. The potential for comedy gold is great.

I’m still looking for ways to ship my PC and Plant-Deer-God of the Forest-sama just for irony’s sake. Just a heads up. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m fine with whatever direction, but Option 3 sounds like Ranma 1/2 with monsters so I see why you’re wary of it.

I kinda like the first option because it could open up interesting scenarios, one of which is that we had to go in debt just to acquire said shop. To watch it blown to pieces for whatever reason is just cruel and that is why its awesome. It gives us a motive, either towards revenge, investigation or just plainly sinking in despair at the fact we have no way to pay back what we own without getting creative… or desperate.

The second option is the most boring IMO though I guess the easiest one / most versatile.

The third one kinda raises the question on whether or not our character is even interested in pursuing the path of a merchant in the first place, due to the fact its more of a family inheritance more so than personal acquisition. Maybe they were short on money and needed to blow something up for insurance? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well, I’m back from seclusion to offer (probably useless considering you’re changing the plot) advice.

I would suggest cutting out everything between ‘I guess picking up stuff with your toes is a useful perk’ and Chapter Two. Enough to establish that being human sucks, but still a nice quick dive into the story.

I’m torn between Alia and the centaur Captain of the Guard. Alia’s adorable, as we’ve established, but it’s hard not to be impressed by a woman who’s capable of beating you to death, innit?

I have to say I am sad to see the first incarnation of this project go; that being said I have loved your writing and will be happy however this project turns out.

As for the new premise; it intrigues me but i am not too keen on the active hunting monsters, rather I like one where the MC is more of the accidental hero where they stuble into the action rather than seek it out.

Sorry if I’m bumping mods (unsure if an edit early in the month counts as reviving a thread?) but there’s good news!
Instead of completely blowing it up, I only sorta kinda blew it up. It’s a wee bit more serious now (read: edgy af), lots of foreshadowing and major cuts. Louizolette is completely gone until a certain point, an official antagonist is stated, two love interests could be gender-fluid by choice (Selias/Eldritch-sama and Nico. Sorry if I got the term mixed up.) and there is a big split at the end of the Prologue. Which is all that’s done in terms of blow-up. It should be error-free save for falling asleep a second time, but it should be fixed ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for all the support everyone!
https://dashingdon.com/play/Ledalla/of-beasts-and-humans/mygame/index.php?cb=40997

14 Likes

Welcome back @Ledalla. (20 char)

1 Like

Here a error

2 Likes

@Ledalla

HOLY
SHiT
I
HAVE
BEEN
WAITING
FOR
SO
DAMN
LONG

3 Likes

Since you highly recommend us playing the first game before this one, it might be helpful to include a link to the first game in the initial post.

(No, I haven’t read the 120 posts, just a thought I had)

3 Likes

there is a game before this one?