Odd things that are very common/popular in IF's

In my case I avoid ‘MC runs fingers through their hair’ (or ruffles the kid’s hair) cause I dunno if and what hair they have.

3 Likes

Is that for IF games or for all games? I feel like that can’t be right when you take into account consoles and PC games.
Edit- I looked it up, and basically the statistics are hard to interpret. It seems like no survey I found bothered to divide the results by what kind of game the person played (mobile, console, pc, or broader categorizations such as shooters, strategy, etc). So while women are counted as the largest demographic, it’s hard to say how much mobile and casual games have influenced that.

I am cool w people doing it, I am just surprised it is sort of a trope now since I dont do it…maybe I am the odd one? Also, you dont have to add anything to make CURIOUS CUISINE realistic…the mother/daughter dynamic is pretty sweet without being gross, already :heart:

1 Like

I know something I attempt to do, though albeit how well I do this is probably neither here nor there and something to be rectified in beta, is attempt to recognize certain behaviors for characters. Who bites their lip? Chews nails? Twitchy fingers? Who plays with their hair and who tries to give nothing away? Inevitably I might use it too often in a scene or for different characters, but then I attempt to evaluate. Humans tend to mimic each other, even if unintended–try crossing your leg sometime in a group and see if others do it (Mirroring is the psychological term if anyone is interested in reading more on this). Is that something that would happen with this gesture? Would one of the characters notice and attempt to change it? Or perhaps one of them is intentionally trying to manipulate the subconscious behavior of the others?

For those curious about demographics I recommend checking out the Entertainment Software Association’s website–they publish annual reports with some basic demographic information.

Going on about the customization and character preference–this is one of those things that tends to feel non-diegtetic to me no matter how I find it, so you sort of accept it and move on. Some games, I feel, do better than others, but ultimately as a creator my view on it is necessary as a way of making my players the most comfortable. Of course I cheat as the more detailed character creation is a plot point rather than something that I try to establish naturally.

7 Likes

On the topic of the MC’s sexuality and gender:

How does everyone in the story know those? Like: Okay, so the MC is a lesbian. How the hell do the male ROs know, thus not even doing anything that in other playthroughs would have let to choices going into romancing them? We never told them.

14 Likes

I don’t think this is something that bothers most players, to be quite honest. I think it’s an allowance that they appreciate. Most people, in my experience, play a game to escape reality. I chalk this up to suspension of disbelief. There’s plenty of other accepted knowledge or behavior in game that doesn’t perfectly reflect reality. Most players don’t want to be flirted with by a character they aren’t attracted to, even if they have the option to tell them to bugger off. It can still be uncomfortable. Some games use your attraction to set a character’s gender, so stating it after meeting a character doesn’t work as well.

Having said that, most of my characters do have their own way of finding out what the mc is attracted. However, I still set attraction prior to any of that to try and maximize player comfort because ultimately my view on game design emphasizes the player’s enjoyment over adherence to reality. I mean I already have angels and demons and all kinds of magic. In terms of suspension of disbelief, I don’t believe this is one worth making a fuss over.

14 Likes

That’s very interesting and instinctive of you to consider in your writing. I def have my quirks (as we all do) maybe rubbing the back of the neck is more common amongst others? It was just something i noticed a lot…i dont dislike it i just see it every time i read something

When a game has to describe the appearance of a main character or a RO and uses super long descriptions like " His name was Lord Fabius Francis Frederick Fabrice Featherstonhaugh III, the handsome man had a strong face with blonde flowing hair and heavenly deep blue eyes yadda yadda" and when it comes to secondary characters: " oh and btw that guy near the door, the name’s Bob, he has brown hair".
It’s okay to have longer descriptions for main chatacters but sometimes they sound very pretentious :laughing:

13 Likes

I reckon it’s the t-shirt with “LOVE THAT MUFF” emblazoned across the front of it with a tasteful marquee of two female symbols interlinked that the main character is wearing 24/7.

If it isn’t that, well, it’s probably because they can see the game’s code like in The Matrix.

3 Likes

I agree. I often dig very little description of the RO’s as I tend to attach my celeb crushes to them via personality. Nate in Wayhaven Chronicles may not be described to look like Noel Fielding…but he smiles like Noel does, in my head :heart: Just like the douche in Curious Cuisine is my Jemaine Clement who doesnt even have to call me the next day…

2 Likes

He’s a cook-off opotamus, his cakes are bottomless

2 Likes

I love you

That’s all it takes. FOTC references. ;p

1 Like

Awww my MC would totally ruffle Phoebe’s hair in Curious Cuisine…cliche be damned! I love their relationship :heart:

1 Like

It doesn’t bother me so much as I find it typically unique to ChoiceScript games when comparing it to Interactive fiction and media outside of CoG and HG (but then again maybe I don’t play/read enough interactive fiction outside of the two publishers). It’s interesting to me and I hope, some day, things like defining gender and pronouns will be implemented in video games and actually matter in some way or another.

I’m glad I’m not the only one…

The sexuality thing makes sense if it affects the gender of NPCs and it doesn’t really bother me if it’s a flavor thing, but when it defines who my MC can and can’t romance; I feel like it’s meant to lock the player out of the choice of who the MC falls in love with to some degree.

The way I handle it in my WIP is that everyone in the entire world is bisexual (and there’s a reason in the lore to justify it, too). None of the ROs, even the random encounters, care what gender the main character is save for a few edge cases.

I think that’s the best way to do it personally and it makes the most sense for my game, but it wouldn’t work for a game set in, like, regency-era England or in small-town America.

4 Likes

I have it that characters you’ve interacted with enough will flirt with you. There’s no danger of it getting tedious, as the ‘romancing’ starts late into the game and only fully comes into play in the sequel

2 Likes

Actually, not convinced that’s the case at all.

7 Likes

I dunno…I feel like more often than not in life, my relationships started off hot and heavy fairly quickly…and were often as satisfying as thr slow burn relationships. Maybe because when you pine for someone for awhile, the expectations get crazy high by the time anything happens? Also, when I have found folks that I instantly connected with I just sort of went for it (I am not a super secure person by any.means, but I am certainly not shy either) and I dont think that those relationships lacked AT ALL compared to the ones I sort of had to wait on. Anyone else have rhis experience in life? Everyone always acknowledges the realism of the “slow burn” in if’s but my personal reality isnt as such…maybe thats why I dont get as into them. I dig romance, dont get me wrong…just…yeah.

4 Likes

You’re not wrong to be skeptical, as that’s my impression mostly based on the forums, specifically WiP threads and stuff, which in most cases don’t turn into actual published HG games.

1 Like