October's Writer Support Thread

Scripting is hard for many of us – I script so poorly, that my game broke @Nocturnal_Stillness’s computer in ways that he never saw it break before.

An author, experienced since 2011, willing to help me improve my scripting, and I fork it up so hard, that I break his computer!

Way to go, right?

:scream:

10 Likes

I know it isn’t the official end of October yet, but I’m taking the weekend off from writing for a mental break. That being said, I didn’t reach my goals but I am very pleased with where I finished.

• I didn’t write 30,000 words, it was closer to about 22,000, but that is still more than double what I wrote for all of September! Hooray for progress!
  • Chapter 2 is most definitely not finished, but I completed probably… eh, 2/3 of it? Still alright with me!

The way I view goals, I set them just out of reach so that I work hard to complete them, even if I literally can’t. And if I do end up finishing them, I just feel that much better! So all in all, it was a pretty good month, at least writing wise :grin:

6 Likes

Your scripting is sounding like Mystery Food X for computers…

4 Likes

What did you do? Did you mess with the Javascript or only basic Choicescript?

2 Likes

I only used basic CS … that is why no one can figure what was going on.

2 Likes

Can I take a look at it? I’m better at coding than at writing.

2 Likes

I’m curious now whether its a formatting difference between our computers which is why the ’ are swapped with random letters.

1 Like

Sounds like an encoding issue, which is a very “using Internet Explorer circa 2005” type of problem.

1 Like

Yeah usually. But I’m using Windows 10 so no idea why it’d encoding wrong.

1 Like

gosub is a minion the main narrative boss hands work off to. It has its own process. Either micromanage this minion or it can return with results (technically it doesn’t return any value :nerd_face: ) you don’t want. :joy:

4 Likes

…and then it all went to shit. I’ve been pretty busy writing for the Halloween Game Jam, and I’ve been so frustrated and weird and happy, so overall, I genuinely enjoyed it and it did me good. But… there’s been numerous amount of storms passing by my place and I’ve not had electricity in a while (a week, maybe? Time is an illusion). I would’ve been able to finish the first draft but my laptop is dead. I charged my phone and laptop today somewhere and I’m gonna submit what I’ve written and I’m so nervous because I literally haven’t played it, and I haven’t made the slightest revision. It’s epic garbage - but I had fun (and lots of frustration) making it so I don’t regret having started it. I don’t even care if it’s horrible, I wrote it, and I’ve definitely improved at least a little bit so that lessens the blow of it all. To crappy WIPs! (:

But at least there’s one thing that I’m not mad qbout: I am currently reading a lot of books, and it’s fun.

9 Likes

@Cecilia_Rosewood – I would love to hear your feedback, both on the game itself and on the horror-show that passes as my scri8pting.

I am just wondering if we should wait until I finish the update, so there is a save system implemented and all the rewrites I did based on the prior feedback received is done.

@Nocturnal_Stillness – Yea; it makes no sense to me still. I’m hoping the new version I’ll be pushing live as soon as I’m done with Chapter Two will work normal for you and that you’ll be able to go over this once more.

@Hazel – I’m a little lost; we both use CSIDE, and I am on Firefox’s latest version. IDK… I’m building up my mental spoons to try again once I get Chapter Two finished, so hopefully by then it magically works normal, like it is supossed to. lol

I’m not sure what this means. lol.

5 Likes

Even though it feels like I’m not getting nearly enough done, I’ve still written more actual game-text these last two months, than I have in the preceding two years.

11 Likes

Doing some clean up in the NPC character sheets.

For some characters, there are variables that switch from false to true depending on what you learn about them… which would affect which character sheet you’d view. Some characters had two different versions of their sheets based on what the MC knows at the current point in time.

Originally I had two different *labels for each separate sheet and the reader would be directed to one or the other based on the variable. Now with multi-replace I’m trying it to see if I can have one character sheet but vary the text within it instead.

It’s a lot easier than having a bunch of *ifs running around.

Also made the decision to cut out the personality description for each character sheet. I’d rather readers experience the characters’ personalities rather than read about them.

8 Likes

I’m hoping to get episode 5 finished tonight so can release an update to the beta tomorrow. Then I want to try and get episode six done via nanowrimo and have December for a full beta test. So I’ll have some free time inbetween testing to give your game a more thorough look see.

5 Likes

Hold on, it’s already the end of October? I swear it was like July thirty seconds ago…

8 Likes

I don’t actually remember much if anything since March. I can’t possibly imagine why… :thinking:

8 Likes

Please, October, don’t end so soon! :crazy_face: I need to finish a LOT of things before you end… If only I could turn back time… :alarm_clock:

3 Likes

Anyone have any tips or tricks to help the next month to become a productive month in terms of writing? Or just a ritual you perform in the hopes of it?

2 Likes

Sacrifice 5 humans during a full moon night, before reading the entire Lorem Ipsum in a high-pitched voice.

On a much more serious note, I believe that making an after-action report of sorts may help you in this regard.

5 Likes