Nyctophobia - Update! Chapter one first branch done! 6k words added!

So in my writer’s block filled head that has come out while working on Swish, I came up with a fun idea at least to me. Below is a summary and I made a slight teaser for it as well. Gonna be my escape and way to vent both my fantasy and some emotional issues.

Updates

1/4/19 - Chapter 1 branch 1 done. Can start to see the effect of chosen skills. 6k words added. Total is 12k!

Summary

The year was 2021 when a bright flash of light soared throughout the skies of the Earth. When the blinding flash was over a large and black object similar in size to the moon had appeared. No one knew what it was or where it came from.

A week into the unidentified object appearing people started to gain abilities, powers, and mutations. It was like living in a modern comic book, but it came with a dark twist. Everytime someone started to have these changes, creatures now known as Nightmares would appear and pursue the individual till either it or they died. At first, only one Nightmare appeared but as it rampaged after its target, anyone killed would change into the hideous monsters. Nightmares usually come in a form that would elicit fear in their prey, causing almost all of them to be different and terrifying. This caused people to not only fear the Nightmare’s but the powered people as well.

Most didn’t survive was has become known as the transition test. It usually ended in the quick death of the unlucky person, or in the destruction of entire towns. Any Nightmare’s who remained left for unknown locations. If the individual lived they become known as an Angel. Usually, Angels tried to protect towns, other powered people and tried to learn more about what was happening.

Story

The story will follow your MC who has lived in a quiet town all his/her life and had very little experience with nightmares and the outside world. You will gain powers and become hunted…or perhaps the hunter. Find the truth, protect people, or just go use your powers. The sky is the limit…unless you want to know more about what caused all of this? Then maybe you could break through the sky.

Your MC will start off with a healing ability that can evolve. At first, you can heal your own own injuries and inflict those injuries on others. From there you could learn to alter your body and increase its abilities, or maybe you want to be deadlier and learn to absorb the life of your enemies, killing and healing yourself at the same time. There will be quite a few choices and special options if you follow one path. Certain powers will unlock paths during combat especially group combat, so think carefully.

Healing Powers Tree

Healing - Can heal wounds that aren’t fatal very quickly.
Can heal fatal wounds over a period of time.
Can heal others as long as your in contact with them except fatal wounds. Takes modrate time.
Can make slight enhancements to durability.

Advance Healing - Can easily heal any wound but fatal which take extra time.
Can heal others wound including fatal but takes moderate time.

Body Enhancement - Can improve strength, agility, durability, reflexes, and stamina

Siphon - Can take life away from a living creature to aid recovery or heal others. Can also kill with prolonged use.

Echo - Turn previous injuries and pain into amplified waves that can injury and kill.

Fiend firm - Become a living weapon. Radiant pain aura constantly attacks all around you, Huge increase in strength and speed, and able to create shadow bolts.

Archangel form - Looking like a living angel you can now heal from a distance, send blasts of energy, and gain the ability to fly.

What fears would you like to see a villian use against you! You can pick 6

• Taphophobia – The fear of being buried alive
  • Coulrophobia – The fear of clowns.
  • Bathophobia – The fear of depths
  • Pyrophobia – The fear of fire
  • Entomophobia – The fear of bugs and insects
  • Hemophobia – The fear of blood
  • Aquaphobia – The fear of water
  • Alektorophobia – The fear of chickens.
  • Claustrophobia – The fear of small spaces
  • Acrophobia – The fear of heights.
  • Ophidiophobia – The fear of snakes
  • Arachnophobia – The fear of spiders
  • Basiphobia - The fear of falling

0 voters

https://dashingdon.com/go/2694

106 Likes

There’s not much to go on to form a thorough opinion, but the premise seems really cool. It seems different from the other super hero games.

3 Likes

Is… MC’s mother, a Angel (or just a human)? She seem to be very angry since MC look at a Nightmare.

Summary

That’s, distracted, and there should be a comma.
Again, there should be a comma between it and a, ‘That’s’

We’re, There should be a space with the period and “how”, and a comma between the last two.

1 Like

Interesting idea, would like to see more :slight_smile:

(And for anyone interested Tassie Devils sound terrifying (almost as scary as koalas but that doesn’t sound as menacing to compare the sound to.)

9 Likes

Vvvveeeerrrrryyyyy interesting premise I really like it pretty cool I hope you keep going with this!!:+1:

1 Like

Love what there is so far!

1 Like

I would totally play that game, just the one page demo is incredible, it’s well written engaging and terrifying at the same time

1 Like

Thanks everyone its gonna have some dark horror in parts specially when you start to get your powers. The Nightmare that comes after you will be more “alive” then the rest.

4 Likes

Seems like a strong concept. I can’t wait to see more.

1 Like

So far so good. If I had to add my two cents I’d suggest using more synonyms to avoid sounding too repetitive. Also ease into all the violence a little more, make it more of a buildup to absolute slaughter.

Also this is more of a personal opinion but when deciding between a boy in a girl, I’d rather not imagine my male MC with emerging stubble.
That’s just me though.

2 Likes

Sound interesting!! It’s a dark twist on the superhero genre, which makes it different from other CoG superhero novels, and I like that!

Typos

Since “beast’s” is supposed to be plural, there’s no need for the apostrophe between the t and the s. “know” should be “known” and “at” should be “a”

Since it is used possessively, “there” should be “their”

2 Likes

Yes!
Reply must be 20 charactersvlobg so I repeat: Yes!

2 Likes

Really like the idea and writing, are we going to be able to pick our own ability’s and if so will it be a single ability or multiple ability’s. Also have you thought about what you plan to do with the stat page(like the layout of it and depth)

2 Likes

Still working on the stats, but most likely it’ll be more skills with stat added. The main way to increase stats will be events throughout the game, but you can gain skills randomly throughout the game.

Your powers we’ll start off as healing and will be able to branch in two different directions or combination of both directions. That tree is listed in the first post and I might add more but that’s all I got for now.

5 Likes

read this made me what read more see how this play out:hugs::star_struck:

1 Like

I hit the “Show Stats” button. This error popped up and my game froze.

2 Likes

Fixed it.

Also added a whole new scene, where you encounter your first villain. Very important character for later.

4 Likes

Nice start, and a nice twist on the superhero genre and post apocalyptic setting.

Both options play if you choose to jump after helping the woman

1 Like

Opp’s I haven’t written the next scene for that path yet so it has no place to go, I think that’s why it did it. The branches from your first few choices are pretty large so i haven’t got much written for other branches yet. I’ll add finish to at least make it end properly.

2 Likes

I absolutely loved the new villain scene we don’t have a good dark hero book so this is a breath of fresh air and I love it so much I’m actually looking for typos for the first time. I look forward to more updates.

And I underlined gender because I don’t see where the gender of the nightmare is being insinuated.

Typos

1 Like