Nuclear Powered Toaster! (WIP) Publication Date 10/25/18

He’s the Discworld guy. :blush:

Awesome!!! (So long as the nurses let me keep Mr Quackers, I’m happy.) :yum:

I don’t know if there is any interest, but if there is, I am going to offer a very limited run of exclusive Nuclear Powered Toaster fridge magnets. And by “limited”, I mean “three or four”. And by exclusive, I mean “I don’t think I can recreate these, because I made them on Cafepress in 2010 and the logo design image was probably lost a couple of laptops ago”.

4 Likes

Nooooo!!! :sob:

Any chance you could just copy the design on the badge? :yum:

I would have to talk to my old webmaster, see if he knows how. He was the one who made it in the first place.

Oh, a tentative list of people who will be thanked in the credits page of NPT. If you are on this list and want to be referenced by a name other than your forum handle, let me know and I’ll put that. If you’re not on the list at all and you provided help and/or support prior to the game’s completion in this thread or the Ultimate Noob Coding thread, please let me know and I’ll make sure to include you.

CJW (CSIDE)
UmbreonPanda
DungeonMaster
Alexandra
Beelzebub
Prof_Chaos
FutbolDude21586
Logan3000x
Inepted12
Aleksa100
sljzz
Avery_Moore
IronRaptor
Eiwynn
ParrotWatcher
Fiogan
Sophia
Vendetta
Szaal
Carlos.R
Minnow
MeltingPenguins

6 Likes

OMG, I get a credit? I feel so special!!! :grin:

And I guess, just reference me as Avery Moore (without the underscore) :yum:

1 Like

Oh… i’d be honored

1 Like

In honor of the amazing and historic UMBC win (and because I was gonna do it anyhow), a new update to NPT has been uploaded! Bug and typo fixes, a full 50 cheevos worth 1,000 points, tweaks to the epilogue, and a way to get the insanity endings even if you stop the attack (which also means you can’t get the normal ‘best’ ending if your Insanity is sky-high, so watch out! Then again, if you’re that crazy, is a normal happy ending all that desirable?)

3 Likes

Love it! Had me laughing so hard I cried :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Thanks!

Anyone who would like to play the game before it comes down in preparation for being submitted to HG, now would be the time. I intend to do some final testing for bugs and typos, but if anyone else is able to help it would certainly make the process go faster. Never too late for suggestions or feedback either (I mean, unless it’s something like “Write better”. That train sailed long ago).

Oh, and anyone who has interest, I am still looking for people with an artistic bent who might be interested in getting into the world of children’s literature. Do work once, make money off it forever. Sounds good, eh?

1 Like

Yo, I already said I loved your game before but I gotta say it again, I loved it. That Insanity ending was by far the most outlandish thing I have ever read on CoG, it tripped me up at first haha!

Don’t know how to do the blurred text thing on here to avoid spoilers so Ill make this next part as vague as possible: :wink: that ending with Dolly though.

Did it, thanks!

1 Like

Is the demo the complete story already?

1 Like

Hey, I’ll take most outlandish and wear that title with pride. And I mostly post on my phone (laptops don’t work when you have a 21 month old reclining on you as I do right now), but on here the spoiler blur is accessed with the drop down that looks like a sun, or a machine CoG it is next to the emoticon area.

@Vanessa_Pang It is indeed complete, barring any additions or suggestions from readers. I was sent one earlier I will add in the next day or two, but it just changes a few lines. For the most part what you see is what the readers will get.

2 Likes

So are you putting this on the App/Google Store? Cuz I’ll support ya, even though I played through the whole thing (multiple times) already haha.

1 Like

Cool I’ll play it but I can’t seem to save the game. :cry:

1 Like

Reminds me of Telltale game’s Borderlands. Of which, welcomes you to a sci-fi world filled with literal psychos, holographic sociopaths, skin-pizzas, wonderful dark humour, a pinch of romance inappropriately timed, and many more insanely but humorously twisted themes. I love this <3

Sad that there wasn’t much of a follow through with what could’ve been between Fi and Alexi.

3 Likes

So the version that’s linked in the first post is the most current one?

I’m pretty sure I can work out some time to read it this weekend.

1 Like

Wow, by this thread’s standards this is a hotbed of activity.

I greatly appreciate that, @Inepted12! At least once you buy it, your achievements will stick around. I tried to make them fun, and certainly I highly enjoyed writing them. That’s one of the few alterations I made after submitting it for the contest, taking it from 25 achievements to 50 worth a total of 1,000 points. Yes, my Xbox 360 roots likely influenced those numbers.

The no-saving thing hopefully won’t matter as much when it releases, because you won’t get progress randomly reset by your web browser.

I get a lot of Borderlands comparisons! I have Tales waiting in my game backlog from Games With Gold, guess I really need to fire it up. Haven’t done much gaming or writing since my father’s accident, but now I might start up again on both counts. Also, I know it’s likely quite wrong but talking about skin-pizzas is making me hungry. As for Fi and Alexi, there’s always the future. The next WIP I have is decidedly not related to this, but if it defies expectations and does well I have a ton of stuff to continue NPT. This story arc was always meant to me a trilogy, and then I had at least two one-off ideas after that. As well as a potential short prequel set in the mid-Clysm era.

The actual sequel to this one would be named something like Nuclear Powered Toaster: The Hoard, and focus predominantly on events at the sprawling WC-1 complex in what was South Dakota. Elections, rebellions, eyepatches, revenge, and a liberal helping of flying forklifts. I have thousands of words written for it in a non-code form. But to be blunt, if NPT tanks I can’t justify throwing good money (and time) after bad. After all, everyone has said sequels don’t tend to sell as well as the original as it is. Which is not to say I might not just write it anyhow one day, but it would not be next out of the gate.

I appreciate that, Eric! As someone who is decidedly further along the path than I am, any suggestions you have are welcome.

3 Likes

I read about your father’s accident and was silently praying for his speedy recovery …i hope he is recovering well ?
I love Nuclear Power Toaster … personally i don’t think it has too many gaming elements but the story is well written and engaging even without romance interaction , initially i was comparing it with the Mass Effect series… mostly due to the conflict between Alliance Vs Cerverus is comparable to GloPac vs FORTUNE? , there was the grey area where none of the Alliance and Cerberus were consider good or evil (at least in Mass Effect 2) , in fact i had felt that Cerberus was the more honourable one in Mass Effect 2 , partly due to Miranda Lawson where i really really fond of our partnership …Miranda literally made me convince Alliance was the bad guys , especially after that Arrogant Ashley who turn her back on me in one of the mission … Unfortunately , the whole franchise change its tune and forcefully revert the good story plot laid out in Mass Effect 2 , by glorifying Alliance as the ultimate good guys and villainised Cerberus in Mass Effect 3 … they should had let MC chose about whose side we consider as the more righteous , instead of seemingly re-written the whole plot of Mass Effect 2 in order to create an ultimate good faction… oh yeah, and i hate it when they tried to force the romance with Ashley , if they plan to do it in ME 3…then don’t make a conflict personality with Ashley in ME 2

Oh well, back to Nuclear Power Toaster… i think Mistress Solus is sort of a hybrid between Miranda and Podrigal ? Well, solus is no where near the Anti-Villain quality of Miranda , especially Solus is more blood thirsty and unforgiving as compare to Miranda , but she has that idealistic ego similar to Miranda as well as a psychopathic mentality like Prodigal , which made her an intriguing character … i chose to spare Solus in the end , and keep contact with her faction … the scene where we look at each other, me losing an ear and her with an ugly scar on forehead was just brutal , a interesting cross road of our relationship
I hope there will be more love-hate interaction with Solus if you decide to carry on with a sequel, for that …i pray Nuclear Power Toaster is going to do well when it is released :slight_smile:

Personally , i think the choice to join FORTUNE is the wiser choice , because only by joining we will unveil the corruption within the GloPac government , and we can also identify the traitors among the government rank , in addition …we can also ensure the safety of our companion like Train, Latasha , Fi etc by pleading FORTUNE officers to allow me to “supervise” them personally … funny thing is, my companions don’t even realise i save them all by joining the rival… will Fi ever forgive me if she find out about this ? these are all interesting plots for the sequel

and Solus… i had the achievement of making a long lasting impression on her when i trip her perhaps in future there can be a rival-mance with Solus similar to Prodigal ? i initially want Solus to be Miranda but i think she is more Prodigal than Miranda :smile:

If you are planning to introduce romance options in the sequel, i hope Fi, Latasha and Solus are all in the consideration :wink:

2 Likes

@hustlertwo, Hey I read the whole thing this morning! Do you want notes/feedback posted on the thread, in PM, or in email? However you want it, I’ll send it.

2 Likes

Okay i finished reading…and well it was pretty good it gave me borderlands vibe which is a good thing cuz its one of my favorite series, Neb is so far the best character anyway ill be looking forward to second part

and revenge of trolley

1 Like