Not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Hi, I’m very new to this and while testing I keep running into the same problem…

Any help appreciated!

The first thing I notice is that you are using *create commands outside the startup.txt. You’re only supposed to use *create in startup: once you have created the stat, you use *set to change its value in other text files.

EDIT - Oh no wait, that is your Startup file. It looks like you’re trying to write an actual scene in Startup. You shouldn’t do that!

What does the content of ctwo.txt looks like? goto_scene ctwo will start looking at content in ctwo.txt, and the error message is referring to ctwo’s line 2.

(It’s fine to write scenes in startup.txt; it’s personal preference whether to keep story content in their own text files or all in startup.txt)

Welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

Oh, my apologies, didn’t know that!

1 Like

The problem lies in your ctwo.txt file, not in the startup.txt file.

Could you upload the screenshot of that file?

Also, welcome to the community.

Thanks! ctwo looks like this: (for some reason the site isn’t letting me upload the screenshot I took)

However, you must admit your skills are most lacking in-
#Technology
Technology, you just can’t keep up with the rate things advance.
*set Technology %-25
#Persuasion
Persuasion, for one reason or another people just don’t open up to you.
*set Persuasion %-25
#Combat
Combat, you’ve always depended more on brains than brawn.
*set Combat %-25
#Investigation
Investigation, you tend to be a bit of a space cadet. Ironically.
*Set Investigation %-25

Can you copy and paste the code into a code block format? Use the </> symbol in the editor. Right now we cannot see indentation. Oh, and before #Technology was there *choice?

2 Likes

Have you checked up your indents (spacing between codes) in that? It seems like you accidentally put an extra space somewhere, which is causing CS to go mad.

oh I forgot to put *choice !

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.