Northern Winds: Dragonships. WIP (Status update 2021-6 on 255)

in future. Probably will work in PS for some maps and images in this weekend. (Thou Rimworld could distract me a lot xD )

That pain probably is devastating O.o

3 Likes

Brother I’m incredibly excited what are you using as your sources though!!

1 Like

Looks like a promising idea. And, don’t worry, once a week is not what I would consider a slow writer.

This already sounds great.
I’ll be looking forward for the updates.

2 Likes

This game is pretty ambitious! I love it!
Can’t wait for further development.
(P.S: Don’t worry about update times, I find it kinda limiting as well as stressing as you approach the update day. Unless you aren’t fazed by deadlines. Then go ahead!)
Question: I know you will be able to rule over your people, but will you be able to explore/conquer other lands? Like, could you find America before the Europeans?

1 Like

Thx ^^ I know that if someone mentions “crusade” then everyone thinks about Jerusalem and so on…Northern Crusades arent much known about. I don’t recall any game about theme like that and I know only one book series about it (fictional one i mean, also have them in my “to-read” list ^^ ).

And another great idea for a chapter has been born! ^^

Hmm seems it will take a looong time to write these chapters…make them properly flashed out and stuff. I will ponder on it. I know that Curonians colonized Tobago and another island, but that was in 17th century…mby i can make inside reference and joke about that…oh gee i feel ideas to fire up O.o

1 Like

Ooo, a history game set in the viking era but has you play with tribes in modern day Latvia. An interesting take for sure.

Don’t worry too much about the English of it all and that sort of thing, the CoG community will help you iron that out with slightly ruthless efficiency. :smiling_imp:

If you don’t mind, I’d like to add to that process.

Summary
Your great grandfather settled in lands that were under Livonian tribe rule and made new home for his people. It was good land right beside coast, with pine trees ringed along whole area. 

What name did he give to the settlement? 

• Should be “Your great grandfather settled in lands that were under Livonian rule and made a new home for his people. It was good land right beside the coast, with pine trees surrounding the whole area.”
"At start (insert village here) was just few wooden houses that were rocked by sea's high winds, but with time it grow… "
  • Should be “At the start (insert village here) was just a few wooden houses that were rocked by the sea’s high winds, with time it grew…”
There was storm raging above thatched rooftops, raindrops dripping from holes. Winds from the sea howling like a hungry wolf wanting to devour everything in its path. 

Your first screams in this world was loud and full of life. Where you born as a boy or as a girl? 
  • Should be “There was a storm raging above the thatched rooftops, raindrops dripping from the holes.”– wait, they didn’t patch up the rooftops?–"Winds from the sea howling like a hungry wolf, wanting to devour everything in its path. Your first screams in this world were loud and full of life. Were you born as a boy or girl?"
Another lighting strike flashed in horizon and seeing how healthy and beautiful babe you are, your father thanked the Thunderer - Perkons. The tribes to south know him as Perun and Norseman call him Thor. He is the one who guards from evil beings, the one who's thunder and lightning gives blessing, although there were many who thought your birth under the storm is not a blessing, but Perkons showing his anger. 

What name father gave you? 
  • Should be “Another lightning strike flashed in the horizon and seeing how you were such a healthy and beautiful babe”@DUNGEON_MASTER may or may not be correct, while “babe” is an archaic form of “baby”, I don’t know if that was in style in this time period–“your father thanked the Thunderer - Perkons.”– wait, like the student loan? Ha, I kid I kid–"The tribes to the south know him as Perun and Norsemen call him Thor. He is the one who guards (something something) from evil beings, the one who’s thunder and lightning gives blessing, although there were many who thought your birth under the storm is not a blessing, but Perkons showing his anger."
Your father smiled while looking at you and named you after your grandmother. There was week of celebration, mead and meat filled hall tables. People cheered and feasted till they couldn't stand anymore. Honoring the h of new hair, village Wise One planted oak tree in holy groove. Oak was considered symbol of Perkons, symbol of strength and hugging it with arms wide open is a way to draw its energy into oneself. Of course you were oblivious of these events and slept in your mother's arms, from time to time screaming for her to feed you. 
  • Should be “Your father smiled while looking at you and named you after your grandmother. There was a week of celebration, with mead and meat filling the tables in the hall. People cheered and feasted till they couldn’t stand anymore. Honor the birth of a new heir”–“hair” is the stuff on top of most peoples’ heads, though “heir” has a similar pronounciation–" the village Elder planted an oak tree in the holy grove. Oak is considered to be a symbol of Perkons, standing for strength and hugging it"–what do you mean by “it” exactly?–"with arms wide open as a way to draw its energy into oneself. Of course, you were oblivious to these events and slept in your mother’s arms, from time to time screaming for her to feed you."
Birds are singing in a fine spring morning. Rivers are being flooded with melting last winters snow. Every spring came with hopes of new adventures, new voyages to make, to trade or raid. Man are eager to work on fields and others wrestled out for the privilege to go with your father to the sea. In your village there is only one longship that could be used for traveling to far lands that merchants told tales about. It is old, but still strong as built from oak in old fashion way where edges of hull planks overlapped. People called it "Karvi" as old Dane who sold it to your grandfather called it like that. It is 6 rowing benches long with last one unfortunately unusable, thus consisted of only 10 crewman. People considered it as an petty military longship without much of any use. And adding salt to the wound it couldn't even carry a dragons head on its prow! 

Perhaps in future you will be able to build fearsome longship… 
  • Should be “The birds are singing in the fine spring morning. Rivers are being flooded with the melting snow of last winter, and with every spring came hopes for new adventures, new voyages to make, new trades and raids to conduct. Some men are eager to work in the fields, others wrestled out the privilege to go with your father to the sea. In your village there is only one longship that could be used for traveling to far lands that merchants told tales about. It’s old, but still as strong as the day it was built, with the old-fashioned method of having the oak planks of the hull overlap with each other serving her well. The people call her the “Karvi”, as the old Dane who sold it to your grandfather called it like that. She’s 6 rowing benches long, but the last one is unfortunately unusable, thus consisting of just 10 crew to man it. People considered it to be a petty military longship without much use. It couldn’t even carry a dragon’s head on the prow, to add salt to the wound! Perhaps in the future you will be able to build a fearsome longship…”

That’s all for now regarding corrections, hopefully more people can help out with the correction process. :yum:

2 Likes

Oh really big thx for help ^^

@N1GHTMAR3 is already pouring salt on my pride in skype,killing me with all mistakes i have made in grammar :smiley:

I will check yours too, later.

3 Likes

One thing I’m good at.
:smiley:

Now the history in your enemy kind of feels like all over the place about this game. One side you have this restorical tribes and factions that were around in the 13th century particularly the crusading order and the Hanse. I love the writing but it’s like having America as country existing in the 15th century.

I guess my other issue too and it just personally for me is coming up try maybe you could you give us a list of different tribal names that would be indigenous to that region. Staying for my own Clans name.

1 Like

Title my friend

Yep, that’s why I’m saying it is more like alternative history world…or perhaps I want to put too much of these things in one game? sigh

I’m soory but i didn’t understand you completely. You want to know under what tribe’s name your village is or what?

That’s “Title” for like “Village chief”, “King of Courland” etc. Its yet to come.

1 Like

What I was saying there is that I’m personally do not know tribal names for the northern Germanic region that would be authentic to the character’s name or the name of the village. So if we could have a list I would love that.

[quote=“Kefs, post:31, topic:28359”]
Yep, that’s why I’m saying it is more like alternative history world…or perhaps I want to put too much of these things in one game? sigh
[/quote] trust me one part of me genuinely loves this. But simultaneously if you have basic knowledge of the history it glaring. Especially I just finished a class on the history of the church from the discipleship to the Reformation. Crusading orders are the product of the Crusades. They were being treated around the ten century. Maybe that’s a word of advice you can fit them all in the game right you can start at the 9th or 10th century. When the Vikings were still raiding but the majority of them are aggressively becoming Christian. And it could be perspective of several Chiefs. And we see the change and evolution of the world around us throughout the generations. You can see the evolution of our office and depending on how the years develop if you convert to Christianity or not. Do we evolve from a tribal to a feudal structure etc.

2 Likes

Oh, I see. Well i could add the choice to chose between few names representing each region and then option to make his own. Im putting this to my to-do list. ^^

As I wrote 9th century setting, but putting Northern Crusade events 300 years faster…eh perhaps I could make that player can play with next generations, Thou it could break me…making hundreds of thousands of words…I will think about it…Perhaps divide game into 2 parts? first one in 9th century with viking raids and second after 300 years with crusades going on…or perhaps make big time leap between…so 3 possibilities here…

I had idea in veeery far future to actually make games that are placed in Prussia or Lithuania.

1 Like

I think that would work fantastic having it through generational views. For example the first one can deal with the Viking Raiders the Holy Roman Empire the found of the Rus. The second game could deal with the different Christian kingdoms the golden horde the Hanse etc.

1 Like

Okey i will think about it and update the info. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As some and. Can’t wait for the next update

1 Like

It’s interesting so far can’t wait for more

1 Like

Just so you know vikings had good weapons like swords, spears, chain mail armor (for the raiders and gaurds), and they did not have horns on their helmets. If you want to give them horned helmets, I have no problem with it since you said that there would be folk beast, but it is not historically accurate.

Seems like it’s going to be good.

1 Like

I know that. Have researched a lot of Baltic tribe history, and read books about vikings and other research material. What worries me most is that events wont be authentic to real history that’s why I’m thinking of some big game design changes.

Thx, thou reading other people works and CG games…my writing pales in comparison xD

1 Like