Northern Winds: Dragonships. WIP (Status update 2021-6 on 255)

Update: 28.08.17

Small update this time…as no one is answering I’m changing name of game to be sure. :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Fixed and edited some things in hunt scene and added more proper ending for it.

Now working on next part and in parallel designing game poster and aesthetics in general for whole game.

7 Likes

Whoa, you draw/make your own in-game pics?

Well…im gonna try :smiley: For example I can give poster of one of my first projects that was made in different “chose-your-own-adventure” engine.

5 Likes

:cry:
I too want to be able to draw my own poster one day.

I’m not a good artist. Here is my secret: I take a photo from real life, then in Photoshop I draw black outlines and then add some other effects for stylized feeling. Its very simple idea, and works great I think for a person who isn’t talented artist :smiley:

So perhaps, you can take this idea and work with it. ^^

1 Like

WAT?!

Yea, right.
Uh… Gargh…
:expressionless: :ok_hand:t4:

I was expecting some convoluted phrases that I can’t understand, but it turns out that your secret is really simple.

1 Like

Hehehe…well i studied at university Photoshop and 3D graphics design…so perhaps…its easier for me. But yeah generally idea is simple, hard part is to make it appealing and make those style effects that would be somewhat in every picture in your game. Making that good feeling of same style. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! here is important thing:

I’m dealing with gender thingy in kind of simple way that is very anti-historical for these times. If your MC is female she acts and is viewed with same regard as men are. For example there is a very small percentage that there would be a female ruler here and lot of cultural customs focus on male to do stuff rather than female. I’m doing this for sake of story and writing complexity.

Of course I could go hardcore and divided events for female and male MC, but that would extend writing time so much.
So question is: do people want to see very different story arcs between both genders or I can do the easy thing and focus on generalization of them?

I know this is touchy subject. So plzz don’t be angry at me…:S

I don’t know the answer but there are a few things you might want to take into account.

A) Since your game has some fantastic elements, in your own word " It is not meant to be historically correct ", you might allow to use some artistic licence about certain social norms.

B) Portraying subtle forms discrimination might not be a bad thing as long as the game experience it’s not overly unpleasant for a female protagonist (in a way that’s different for a male one) and the game itself does not condone such behaviour.

There are other threads that deal with these issues in more depth, you may want to take ask there.

And don’t worry, we know you don’t want to be offensive, it’s a touchy subjectbut it can be treated in a serious and respectful way.

3 Likes

Thank you for your advice! I think i will follow the “generalized” route. And add more information and historic descriptions of how things went in glossary for those who want to know more.

Small update: 08.09.17

1. Reworked choosing your village name at the start. For sake of ease in writing, you can’t chose in which lands to settle, but rather you are somewhere in border between the two tribes. And your loyalty will be questioned between two of them. And in second part of the game you will have to choose which one to support. The ones who side with Christians (Livonians) or the ones who going to keep fighting against them (Curonians).
  2. Minor tweaks, fixes and some additions to Glossary page.

Still working on:

1. Last prologue event where you reach adulthood. You are forced to marry for alliances sake to a son/daughter of neighbor village elder. But…nothing ever is so simple.
  2. Making and adding graphics. (Poster, chapter picture design, maps and other elements)

Future plans:

1. Researching and integrating achievement system. And perhaps use that save system which was floating around the forum…?
11 Likes

Might want to add earliest to die achievement and maybe add some check point like lord of aswick

wow a viking style story is new and original

Hmm i will think about it bit later when i have all of these things planed. But i have some ideas already. im just swamped irl -.-

1 Like

Update: 10.010.17

Yesss I know long time no seen ^^ was sick for a while and very busy irl, but enough with excuses here are the changelog ^^

Firstly got close friends to help out, so I kind of have my own dev team ^^ (2 people giving feedback about story and choices and one will help with grammar and stuff.)

1. Trough feedback I received I enriched already existing paths and story. Most importantly hunt scene with more options so player can make better decision.

Still in works:

1. Last prologue scene where suddenly you are made into chief to govern the village.
  2. Making and adding graphics. (Poster, chapter picture design and some other elements)
  3. Researching and integrating achievement system. (first achievements will be gained in Hunting event at the almost end of it, also I rushed it a lot and want to make more personal)
14 Likes

Hello guys, It has been a while and I have kinda good and bad news.

As my boss at work left and I’m being promoted, due to stressful months to come I will put down “the pen” for writing game. And nonononnono I’m not quitting on it, i will still try to write from time to time and develop it with my close knit team (friends).

I would like to ask @moderators to close thread for now as I have no clear vision of update pace, which will probably take years to finish.

Also huuuuuge thanks to the community for helping and shaping this idea. Hopefully in future I will be able to deliver this game to public. ^^

12 Likes

Tag @moderators to make sure they see that.
Grats on the promotion!

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

Due circumstances in life I have been able to resume work on this project properly! I have been working on this from time to time, but now more than ever I have possibility to actually finish it!

So what are changes since end of 2017? Lets just say A LOT.

• Shifting whole game from historical Livonian crusades to fantasy setting based on world I have been developing for a very long time. And yes monsters under your bed are real.
  • Finished first chapter from 11k that it had before to ~30k words.
  • Redesigned a lot of mechanics and have straightforward vision where it goes.
  • More ROs~
  • Made some graphics and depending on feedback going to keep the style.
  • Of course bug chasing and grammar hammer!

What’s the goal for next 2 months?

• Chapter 2
  • More art
  • Save system (that is between chapters)

I hope there are still people interested in this game and in fantasy fiction where roots are taken from Norse/Baltic/Slavic Viking Age. If so check the first page again. :slight_smile:

22 Likes