Northern Winds: Dragonships. WIP (Status update 2021-6 on 255)

@Bahamuht Good question!

So how interactions work with oathsworn?

1. Friendship choices. The player can explore them with all oathsworn in same event scene.

2. Romance choices. The player can’t pick more than one for all oathsworn in same event scene. (When the player has enough friendship stat, they will accept romance choices). But later in a different event scene can pick a different person.

3. Going “official” means that you accept them as that special one (as in modern sense). Also, such a choice will be explicit and available based on how much romance choices have validated.

4. Currently, there are no repercussions as it’s at the end of ch2. In future, if the player “plays around” with many ROs then there might be drama as characters have their own mind… If the player is accepts being together with someone, then can keep messing around with others, but it may end very badly for you or that other oathsworn.

@Isi_Talks
Thx, for kind words. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, then when Laine asks about our relationship near the end of chp2, I have to choose “nothing serious” if I want to include Urve later on.
So far I’m enjoying it overall, especially since I’ve always been interest in vikings(especially now after watching Vinland Saga) and norse mytho. The one thing I’m kinda iffy about is our “growth”, like I can’t seem to grasp how we measure up to others(not sure if I explained right).

2 Likes

Hmm, there is no direct growth of MC as in-game stats.

In a way, growth can be considered with your wealth, renown increase. Wealth will tie with making your longship, weapons and outfitting your warband. Renown more like the growth of your status in the world and how others will view you. All of these will come more in detail in ch3.

Of course, once there are couple chapters in I will revisit first chapters and see how to implement things better if it feels way too dragged out.

I’m happy that there are people interested in this, thx! Considering that I’m an unknown writer and have a long way ahead of me of perfecting writing and secondly that this world in a way is very niche, especially references to Baltic.

3 Likes

What’s next, curious warriors?

First of all updated public build now with the small bug fixes and additions (not worth to replay).

• Map not showing in-game fixed.
  • Edited things that @Isi_Talks showed.
  • Added another choice option at the end of ch2 which will not be a “good end” and nor it will end the game abruptly as “bad ending”. It will just make things harder in ch3 for MC.

What about Chapter 3?

Chapter 3 – Flight of Dragons

• Ability to forge own weapon and make a longship!
  • The chapter will revolve around player raiding and trading, preparing for an enormous sea battle (and taking part in it) that was foreshadowed in earlier chapters.
  • The new cover art is delayed. Artist is all in into university stuff and day work. Probably art pieces will be done in summer.
  • Editing all written texts to be more in a line of proper COG style (including revising choices up to now).
  • Released date? Would love to finish in September as I’m a weak person and gonna indulge myself into few games that come out at that time :S So who knows. Not promising anything as I need to read a lot and research about ships/ship-battles properly. Also, ch3 might be the most complex part of my coding yet.

Edit:
Just found out about new bugs. The very important choice of siding or not with Odir is bugged. Somehow I placed the same *temp variable twice from which later one was true. Thus the choice didn’t matter. Very sorry. Also added various fixes to text.

I guess I should not rush to finish and publish here. Instead, let my First Reader playtest first and give feedback (she takes a literally 1 week of playtesting with various options and writes in .docx each choice and errors within).

7 Likes

Hello!
Nice demo, I liked it! There’s a bug which prevents me from going onwards. After the feast when the MC goes to sleep, when pressing the “next day” button the bug appears and I can’t proceed. Plus, there are some errors with my MC’s gender - when being addressed by others or just reading some parts of the story my female MC is being called he/him. Elaine (was that her name?) gets replaced with Kosk and he/him pronounces when spending time with her during that winter. And obviously some problems with save system, it doesn’t work. Hope that it’s helpful. Unfortunately, I didn’t take a screenshot of that bug which prevents me from proceeding.

Good luck and have a nice day!

1 Like

Thank you!

Yep, found it. Fixed. Was introduced with me fixing error before. ^^‘’

Can you give text where it is? It shouldn’t happen anywhere…

Yep that part is very same-ish. Probably will rewrite it at some point. First chapter was written veeery long time ago.

Yep, others have stated me the same. No idea why thou. Gonna look at it at some point. Any details would be helpful.

1 Like

in chapter 3 when you go independent it still puts you in the group to capture the monster said of talking to it
I know it not the best feedback cause it’s my first time trying but hope you can fix it

1 Like
  1. Its Chapter 2.
  2. You will go to find Savna either way.

Spoilers of possibilities below:

There 4 distinct endings for this (these will affect the future of stories and game-endings:

1. Kill Odir’s men and help him to capture her = Laup betrays you, after the choice of whom to fight either Savna dies or Odir becomes your enemy. All of your warriors die, except oathsworn. (The worst-case scenario)

2. Kill Odir’s men and don’t help him to capture her = Laup betrays you, Savna lives but doesn’t like you much. Odir dies (less worst than 1. but still pretty bad.)

3. Don’t kill Odir’s men and help him to capture her = Laup doesn’t betray you, Savna is captured by Odir and he becomes your friend.

4. Don’t kill Odir’s men and don’t help him to capture her = Laup doesn’t betray you, Savna is freed and likes you, Odir is dead.

In summary: the meta here is don’t kill Odir’s men first. Then you gain an ally. Either the beast (vilce) Savna or the warlord Odir. Where Savna will probably give you wealth in future and Odir will lend his warriors.

1 Like

Sorry i was tried when making the other post didn’t check properly to see what chapter it was the problem i am having is not going to find savna it’s the point we’re we find savna and it forces you in into working with the other group and captureing savna when they enter the cave and not letting me try the other solutions of the independent route.

You might have explained this up above for me but i can’t see most of your post and don’t know if there’s way to make it viable

Hover over the mouse and click on it. It will become visible.

Thanks i had to go on my laptop cause i usually browse through this on my phone

I will look through the demo one more time and will take some screenshots where I saw those bugs, but most probably later this evening or towards the weekend.

1 Like

oh, i found a bug when I try to play the demo. It seems like i can’t access the demo :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, fixed it. This is what happens when one hasty guy tries to upload numerous fixes swiftly. :smiley:

And also bonus content for others.

Here is planned improvement for chapter 3 in future. Warband stats will become more important and actually will be up-gradable and used in battle situations.

And here is early look on title art piece.

Artist is god sent as she is very patient with my bickering on every small detail. ^^’’

Can you guys guess who is who?

8 Likes

Gonna guess left to right:
Laine-Kosk-Gundar-Villendi-Urve-Us-Laup

1 Like

Woah, very close! Except after Urve comes on the right side: female MC, male MC.

As Laup was not originally considered as oathsworn and he has his own longship and all that stuff. So wasn’t included.

Wow, you should see if the author would make then both kinda phantomy since they both obviously can’t be there. You know what I mean? Like making them on the same plane, so neither is in front of the other.

1 Like

I was thinking perhaps the first one would be Laup and then introduce another female oathsworn (RO) and thus no MC variations in title art. Need to think a bit and see if I can come up with something interesting on that part.

2 Likes

Just binge watched all 4 seasons of “the last kingdom” and my favorite character is an Irish slave who joined the main character after being saved. Maybe you could do something similar. Best part is she could be from about anywhere you want, Ireland, England, France, Germany. I think I remember you writing that you were not an expert on history in the area the story takes place, but this character could be, like a breath of familiarity in an unknown world. Just an idea.

2 Likes

Yeah, slavery was one of the story arcs, but what is happening now, I’m afraid to do anything with that. Will do a brainstorm on 3rd female RO character. Perhaps throw few ideas and put on a poll. See what people are most interested in.

Actually, Bernard Cornwell is my favourite author. Have read all his Sharp books and The Last Kingdom ones (except the most recent one).

2 Likes