Next button doesn't work

I’m having trouble with getting past the first choice in my game. If I try to click Next, it just freezes and Firefox says the game is slowing down the browser, and I can’t continue. I tested it multiple times with quicktest and compiled it, both of which worked fine, but actually playing the game doesn’t work.

(Sorry if this is question is answered elsewhere, I’m a total newbie to coding and I couldn’t find this exact problem in the wiki.)

My code looks like this:

You wake up in a dark room. At least, you think it's a room. It's room temperature, anyway. The air tastes stale as you sit up and inhale quietly. You can't hear anything except your own muted breaths.

*choice
	#Ask, "Is anyone there?"
		*label choice1
		In a small voice, you ask the darkness, "Is anyone there?" There is no reply. You swear you feel a mild breeze, though. Try something else?
		*goto choice1
	#Get up and walk around.
		Might as well stretch the old muscles. Who knows how long you've been lying down.  You get up and walk around in a short circle, not wanting to bump or fall into anything dangerous. You don't hit any walls. Nor do you feel particularly weak or injured upon ambulating. Nothing happens. You confirm that you're not in a small closet, at least. Try something else? 
		*goto choice1
	#Stay put and wait for something to happen.
		You decide to sit and wait. As long as nothing's happening, there's no point in wasting energy.
		You sit for a long time. With no way of telling the time, the moment stretches into what feels like an hour to your increasingly impatient mind, but might just be twenty minutes. Finally you lie down on the hard floor. Gradually your eyes close...
		*finish

You have an infinite loop.

2 Likes

Ohh, okay. The player is supposed to choose either of the first 2 options and then return to the list to make another choice, not move on to another scene. That’s what I was trying to do, anyway.

You want:

You wake up in a dark room. At least, you think it's a room. It's room temperature, anyway. The air tastes stale as you sit up and inhale quietly. You can't hear anything except your own muted breaths.

*label choice1
*choice
	#Ask, "Is anyone there?"
		In a small voice, you ask the darkness, "Is anyone there?" There is no reply. You swear you feel a mild breeze, though. Try something else?
		*goto choice1
	#Get up and walk around.
		Might as well stretch the old muscles. Who knows how long you've been lying down.  You get up and walk around in a short circle, not wanting to bump or fall into anything dangerous. You don't hit any walls. Nor do you feel particularly weak or injured upon ambulating. Nothing happens. You confirm that you're not in a small closet, at least. Try something else? 
		*goto choice1
	#Stay put and wait for something to happen.
		You decide to sit and wait. As long as nothing's happening, there's no point in wasting energy.
		You sit for a long time. With no way of telling the time, the moment stretches into what feels like an hour to your increasingly impatient mind, but might just be twenty minutes. Finally you lie down on the hard floor. Gradually your eyes close...
		*finish
1 Like

then you need to move the label above the *choice

edit: ninjaed by gabs XD

1 Like

Gotcha. Thank you guys!

1 Like

oh, also unless you want to finish the entire scene at the last choice, you don’t need *finish

1 Like