New Hosted Game! "The Gray Painter" by William Loman

I actually remember commenting about that, way back when it still had a WIP thread. It is a little off putting at first, since I dont think you explained it at all?

After playing through it about…i kid you not over 20 times ((some of this is just speed clicking to catch up to a point on the next playthrough)). I understand why you made it the way you did. It creates a very unique playing experience. It took me a lot of trial and error. :rofl:

Also, I dont think it will get eclipsed! It may be a slow start at first; but once people have finished it and leave reviews im sure it will encourage others to see it through to the end.

1 Like

Hmm, sorry to ask but is this supposed to be the translation? : “Le Caveau du Roi Mort. C’est grand.” The Vault of the Dead King. It’s great.

Sigh Cause it’s wrong. You were thinking in English, as in ‘We will have a grand time!’. Grand in french mean Big. It’s great in french is ‘Cest bien’. But french is more complicated, so you can use others definition to get the tone you want.

For example, when you say ‘You’, in English you only have you. But in french you have ‘Tu’ and ‘Vous’. And both are used differently. Think of them like honorifics. In some countries, people will use ‘Tu’ in an intimate setting, while ‘Vous’ is used for people you don’t know. On Uranus, I grow up saying ‘Vous’ to people I don’t know, older people, teachers, or anyone in a position of power. (So it sounds respectful, as well as proclaim ‘you are a stranger, I don’t know you, don’t be familiar with me!’). In Quebec, where I live they don’t have that rule. Which was jarring at first. They use ‘tu’ even if they don’t know you from a hole in the wall.

Je = I’am
Tu = you
Il/elle = They (il = for male, elle = female)
Nous = us
Vous = you
Ils/elles = (plural version of the above)

Donc…mes amis = Plural males. (amies= plural females).

for your 'It’s great, look here: It's great - Translation into French - examples English | Reverso Context

‘Cest super’ would fit for 'it’s great.

This game is confusing me though, and somewhere my old french teacher is probably dancing. I’m doing what I always sucked at…conjugaison. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Ha ha, the characters’ French isn’t perfect as they’re all foreigners.

3 Likes

sorry, I couldn’t help myself lol nowadays I’m seeing stuff I couldn’t before…

still, free knowledge is free. It may come in handy in the future :wink:

Snicker also, boobs= breast :rofl:

Thank you so much for the clarification and all the info!

1 Like

Congrats on the release, I hope the game does well :+1: Just checked out the demo and the story is intriguing so far!

1 Like

I have a question, but is it a bug thay doesnt level up my confidence in the story, or im doing something wrong? I just started the game.

1 Like

You can raise your confidence in the story by trying the activities Gabrielle suggests, plus you can take slightly different paths on subsequent playthroughs. What have you tried so far?

1 Like

Given the déjà vu nature of these new game plus modes in your games, I think it would be nice if we could select to completely reset it to how it was when we first started. Not sure if it can be done or if it’s even a good idea, but I feel it’s at least worth mentioning. Other than that, congratulations on the release. Your previous game was added to my favourites, and this one will be as well. I just absolutely love these déjà vu type of games.

2 Likes

This was such a fun read!

As someone who values character development and character personality above all else in my CYOA’s, I loved every single one of the characters here. Each one of them is flawed and perfectly imperfect. I fucking love it.

The uncensored vulgarity was a breath of fresh air as well. This is genuinely a one of a kind game.
Cheers Will! Hope to see more of your work in the future.

3 Likes

Oh and I forgot to mention something. When we got 50% confidence and choose to model early, we get to do it again just after chapter 6, so it basically goes into a chapter 4 loop. Not sure if that’s a bug, or some kind of time manipulation thing given the mind screwing involved.

3 Likes

Legitimately one of the best stories I’ve read! Super well written, all the characters(including the protagonist and… that… other character…) are interesting and their personalities really shine through. I achieved the true ending on my second playthrough. A second playthrough is essential to this particular book and I was able to pick up on the little hints even in chapter one! Kudos and thanks for writing this!!!

4 Likes

That shouldn’t happen. Would you send me a private message with as much detail as you can about this bug?

The first thing you should know is that I have completed the game at least once and unlocked and early option to get my confidence up to 30%, as well as telling my boss to keep the change for another 10%. When given the opportunity to select a confidence boosting activity, I choose the meditation and also achieve enlightenment, which will boost my confidence with an extra 15% to 55. Finally, when given the first opportunity to model early, I choose to do so and then I just play all the way through until the end of chapter 6.

Just curious: does the MC’s confidence level affect the endings we can get?

Would you consider ever releasing a guide? Or is there one already? (I was replaying all day yesterday at work and still can’t get the ending I want :joy:)

1 Like

@will thank you for making this game it is one of my favorites to be honest loved how you made vampires inside the game but i wanted to ask is harper slater and fierna the only romance options?
and thank you for your efforts i find this game have a good potential.
please have a good day and health
goodbye

I have never left a review for any of the books I’ve read on COG or HG. TBH, a lot of the stories I choose I only partially read bc I lose interest either in the plot or the characters. However, I bought this one yesterday and just finished it. I haven’t slept because I was so invested in these characters and trying to figure out what was going on. Truly, well done! Bravo! I hope we continue to see more truly unique works like this from talented people such as this author/creator. Thank you for sharing this with us.

3 Likes

This game is very avant-garde.Has a very different feels compared to most other COG games,and reminds me more of the old school text games

4 Likes

Just finished it and I LOVED it. I achieved the “true ending” and I am weirdly proud of my Ash and Harper for staying together and working together.

I can’t wait to read more from the author in the future.

3 Likes