New Hosted Game! Nuclear Powered Toaster by Matt Simpson

lol at “doesn’t tend to be this presentable.”

You’ve mastered the nuances of married language.

7 Likes

It sounded a lot better than “her desserts are as delicious as they are ugly most of the time”. Far, far better than the other way around, though.

@Eiwynn I never doubt it. Tell her every day that she’s my angel.

5 Likes

Before being married, I’d learned about the “royal we,” meaning “I,” and of course the “literal we,” meaning “you and I.”

Then i learned the “marital we,” which means, “you”–for example, “We should really get those dishes washed up, love.”

8 Likes

I will be honest, I use that particular ‘we’ about the dishes sometimes knowing full well it won’t be me. We share almost all chores, but each of us has one that we almost never do because we find it disgusting. For her it’s taking out the trash, for me it’s the dishes. I did them when she was pregnant and couldn’t even look at them, but otherwise my contact is limited to emptying the dishwasher after they’re clean.

Found someone who did a video walkthrough of the first bit of NPT. Wish they’d included some sort of background music or speaking, but still thought it was neat.

5 Likes

That same guy did that for The Magician’s Burden, too. Needless to say I was very confused. :grimacing::joy:

1 Like

I mean, I know you can’t do licensed music. And talking would be hard to do all on your lonesome like that for ten minutes. But just some classical music or something unlicensed in the background seems like it would enhance the overall package. But I’m not familiar with the Let’s Play scene, so maybe there’s some aspect to the quiet experience that appeals to people.

@hustlertwo
In chapter 1. In the choice:
“Spreading a rumor about his past.”

Jacques became such a laughingstock that he nearly dropped out of the program altogether.

Laughing stock

2 Likes

Actually, it is supposed to be just one word. But that’s a good reminder that I need to make a typo list for whenever an update might come about. I found a couple going through it myself, as well as one spot where an option was given to both MCs that only made sense in context for one. Thus far, probably not anything worth updating for, but if one is needed for any other reason there’s no reason to pass up a chance to fix other problems as well.

4 Likes

You we’re given the option to play as an mentally insane character…what you expected, Monty Python wit?

1 Like

Whether it’s wit is debatable, but there is at least one Monty Python reference in NPT. No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

1 Like

I have to say this : ma man!
While some scenes we’re a tad gross, you most of the times pulled off the authentic/real crazy person humour, which is big

1 Like

Thank you! The secret, of course, is to be a little bit crazy. And then also a much larger, more disturbing amount of crazy.

I feel like a lot of the more scatalogical bits were at the front, which didn’t help with the impression of having juvenile humor. Unfortunately, this is also the case for The Parenting Simulator, but that’s not entirely my fault. Young children are as wonderful as they are disgusting.

1 Like

That’s a shirt, bro. Copyright that immediately!

3 Likes

Sometimes, the juvenile humour reverberates within us, making the childsoul resurffacing.
From the plot, to the characters, everything is watertight(basically awesome).
When publishing the game, why you used Hosted Games instead of Choice of Games? The latter is flashier

1 Like

Unfortunately, you can’t make a shirt without art, and I have quite enough projects where I’m awaiting someone with art skills to help me get the ball over the finish line. Three children’s books and a strategy RPG, for starters.

My only experience with children are screams in buses, but maybe you are right. Who the hell am I to know details, since I never had a kid

I knew it. You we’re a programmer
Big time programmer, like Java C or maybe assembler.

1 Like

I will take that compliment, thank you sir. We strive to make things shipshape around here.

Well, CoG is mostly for previously published authors. I am not. This was my big first completed project. Also, while I did not submit it, I anticipated that the lack of custom MCs, no romance, and relatively short length all would have hurt chances at CoG inclusion to the point that it was better to just assume the answer was no and move on. And honestly, if the reviews and install numbers thus far are any indication, they wouldn’t have been wrong to pass on it. If it ends up even in the top 50% of HG titles by total earnings I’ll be surprised. So if it was a CoG it would have been pretty far down.

Oh man, if my friend Chris could see that comment he would flip. I am as far as humanly possible from being a programmer. I’ve been working in finance for the last six years and before that I was a trivia host and question writer. Learning ChoiceScript was so arduous for me that I started a thread called Ultimate Noob Coding to reflect my status as the ultimate noob. Even now I am only a moderate noob at best.

I guess I should clarify that while the kid books are completely written and already have art notes awaiting someone to art them up, the game is more a pipe dream. I wrote several thousand words of basic story and dialogue but aside from an artist I would also need programmers to go with it. It’s honestly not likely to ever be made, short of me winning the lottery. Which is hard to do since I rarely play.

4 Likes

Honestly speaking, your book is one of the most original CoG or HG novel thus far, by virtue of dialogue. I’ve read some CoGs or HG through time, but very few remain burned in my mind as yours. I think its weird that CoG has this pseudoquality standards, encouraging samey structure novels

1 Like