New Beginnings : Medieval Era

looking good you have a chapter lineup I can’t wait to see.

1 Like

This is definitely a unique concept and I’m interested to see how the game develops. I agree, the hardest part will be how you form the world, since a good idea like this can be made into a boring or fascinating world and setting.

I like the the part about “making and breaking romantic, friendly, and political attachments”. Does that mean ROs, political marriages, friendships, and affairs?

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Ty and certainlly i’m putting alot of thought into it. I’m sure you all will like it ^^

And yes, that is exactly what it means.

Romance is the only reason i personally play COGs haha ^^

I hope to have a small content update for you by the end of today.

As a sort of Christmas update. I didn’t have as much time to prepare as some, but i still wanna give you guys something, so i’m working hard for that.

Ty for commenting ^^

2 Likes

Okay dev update, ^^

From how it is looking, i will have chapter one to our newly agreed standards by the end of today, and be able to give you all an update ^^

It will contain these following parts:
Part One: Just Another Blank Slate
Part Two: The Luxuries of Youth
Part Three: Nothing Stays Young Forever

Here is a small sneak peak from part two:

Summary

Chapter Two: Tis The Luxuries of Youth

You are woken from your slumber by a loud, insistent knock on the door. Coming from it is, a deep booming, but youthful voice ”Adelina! Alan!”, “I’ve got important news!” Your mother looks at the door, then to her arms, where you now lay wide awake, and still snugly swaddled, exasperated that all the work she just put into getting you to sleep has gone to waste. She moves to answer the door, and the stranger’s insistent summons. But, as she goes to do so, your father lightly applies pressure to her shoulders, and lowers her back down into her seat. “You’ve just given birth for goodness sake! I’m sure whatever he wants, I can handle.” You mother smiles in appreciation, and you feel all her muscles relax as she instinctively solidifies your position against her warm, soft chest. He smiles lovingly at her, stealing a quick peck from her lips. You have only been alive for a day, but even to you, the love your family shares is nothing but undeniably obvious. He goes to answer the door, on which the stranger still hasn’t slowed down his assault. Before he goes, he makes sure you haven’t been forgotten, lightly squeezing your considerably smaller hand.

Stay tuned, you will see an update soon ^^

I hope you are all enjoying everything i’m producing thus far, and are having a very merry chirstmas
(Chapter Two is currently all text rn, am going back and editing to add in some player engaging choices while staying true to the original rough draft plan. Meaning that the sneak peak i just posted might change a bit when i’m finishing up here ^^)

^^

2 Likes

I have dark feeling to this

1 Like

That a good or bad thing? ^^

1 Like

both one can’t wait 2 read 2 going to cry if I am right

1 Like

Interesting ^^

Writing is all done, i’m finalizing my coding for parts two and three. You should get to read soon.

Glad you are looking forward to it ^^

1 Like

Okay, Chapter Two is finalized and three half finalized.

Unfortunately i need my sleep and i’ve been doing this for hours and it’s midnight.

I’m uploading the chapter two files, chapter three will be uploaded tomorrow morning
(Along with any chapter two last minute revisions and fixes)

Please note, that stats are planned to change with these choices, im simply still working on my toggle (should be done soon, then you should see an effect)

I hope you all enjoy chapter two, and i apologize that i have to delay the posting of chapter three with it.

Enjoy

~The Armored Fish~

^^

Edit:

Game files updated, hope you all like it ^^

6 Likes

Really nice! This wip have a great potential!! Looking forward to your job! Keep going this well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much, i’m glad you enjoyed what i have thus far.

I’m finishing up the code for part three now, sometime today three will be released.

On Friday, i’ll probably release any improvements/fixes for chapters 1-3 and the new stat screen.

Stay posted, i hope i will continue to make content, you will continue to enjoy.

Ty for commenting ^^

Edit:

Code is pretty much done, i’m making sure the text is formatted in a way that is readable, and error hunting then i will update the files for you to enjoy ^^

1 Like

Okay, all thank you for being patient.

After 3 hrs of coding finalizing, and bug hunting (which went well, i routed out about ten bugs you will now not have affecting your game play), part three of chapter one is ready to be presented to you all. (This is chapter one’s final part) ^^

I have updated the game files.

As a side note:

Friday, i will release part 1-3 improvement wordings and fixes, along with the new basic stats screen.

Hope you all enjoy ^^

~The Armored Fish~

4 Likes

Hello there! I played through the entirety of the demo; I can say: it has potentials. I always love myself a medieval-setting story (or really, just anything remotely foreign in setting).

Most of my complaints would direct to styling, and grammatical corrections, although other than that the game is good. I didn’t encounter a single game-breaking error, so all’s well in the code department, I suppose!

The complains I mentioned earlier, should you be willing to read it would be:

• Broken dialogue tags. I sometimes see a dialogue formatted in a very unnatural way, such as this: ”Adelina! Alan!”, “I’ve got important news!” — these don’t matter much, but they do take me away from the reading pleasure; you can try merging these into one sentence (”Adelina! Alan! I’ve got important news!” ). Otherwise, nothing too grand of a problem.
  • Some ‘i’, especially during the lullaby is lower-cased. There are a lot of these lower-cased ‘i’, but again, they aren’t too critical of an issue.
  • At the end of Part Two, the dialogue the Father makes is cut(?) by a newline. It’s this one, precisely: “We must continue to delay,[…]” — is this intended behaviour?

But as others have said, it is too short to form an opinion early on. I do like to see it grow; I’m keeping the game in a bookmark to see its updates in the future!

Edit: Silly me, I didn’t read your earlier post regarding the fixes you will be doing later this week. I really should’ve read before posting.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback and for commenting, i’ll be sure to remedy all these things for friday’s update.

I’m glad you seemed to enjoy the demo ^^

I will do my best to live up to it’s potential ^^

Your grammar point outs are very helpful, as it has never been my strong suit ^^

1 Like

interesting start,can’t really give feedback yet but ill be checking in

1 Like

Glad you like it so far, and ty for commenting.

Hope that when i have enough content for you to form feedback, you will like it ^^

Just read the rest of the new chapter one.

Although I think it needs more paragraphs for when a new person is speaking, I think this new information of Fernweh rejecting the immortal’s will increases the mystery of the story – and makes it quite interesting when we then skip ahead in time, too, and the Elders’ presence remains.

One small suggestion – when Fabian brings the news of the Elders’ arrival, it might be better to not specifically state that the MC is just a day old, especially with how interactive the MC is. It’s just that the MC doesn’t seem like they’re a newborn at all. I think calling them simply an “infant” would give you more leeway in how they act.

I also just went through it a few times to check for bugs, and I found this:
nothing_stays_young_forever line 101: It is illegal to fall out of a *choice statement; you must *goto or *finish before the end of the indented block.

And poor Rowan. Will we be seeing them in the next chapter?

Looking forward to reading more. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Ty for the feedback, i will definetly take it into account as i put the improvements update together.

I will make sure to fix that bug today and re upload the files, as it is game breaking and not just an improvement ^^

Yes, you will be seeing more of Rowan, i was even thinking of making a short chapter about rowan before the tis the story of our people one. This chapter would cover social class, and make Rowan an unofficial adopted brother or sister. And, of course, elaborate a little bit more on their character.

^^

@expectedoperator

Am i correct in assuming, your player was:

Male, but with a female identity.

Wanted to use custom pronouns

If so, the error should be fixed ^^

Two New Polls ^^

I actually can’t remember now what I had chosen, but I believe it’s because there’s no *goto at the end of the He/himself/etc. is fine option, as well as the she/her/etc. is fine option in this choice:

Summary

*choice
        *if (player_gender = "Male")
            #He/Him/His/His/Himself is fine.
                *set player_subject_pronoun "he"
                *set player_object_pronoun "him"
                *set player_possessive_adjectives "his"
                *set player_possessive_pronoun "his"
                *set player_reflexive_pronoun "himself"

#I prefer to be referred to using different pronouns.
                *goto pronoun_selection_dia
        *else
            #She/Her/Her/Hers/Herself is fine.
                *set player_subject_pronoun "she"
                *set player_object_pronoun "her"
                *set player_possessive_adjectives "her"
                *set player_possessive_pronoun "hers"
                *set player_reflexive_pronoun "herself"

#I prefer to be referred to using different pronouns.
                *goto pronoun_selection_dia

Regarding the chapter format, the titles are all different and a bit confusing:

Chapter One: In Our Youth, Part One: Just Another Blank Slate
Chapter One, Part Two: Tis The Luxuries of Youth
Chapter Three: Nothing Stays Young Forever (End of new Chapter One)

Otherwise I like the split sections for each chapter. :relaxed:

1 Like