Need Ideas: God Quests

Charon’s feeling overworked after an eternity of ferrying souls across the river Styx and Hades asks you to stand in for him for a while.

Problem is you can’t touch the water if you ever want to return to the world of the living while you go about your job (and that river is not calm, it’s full of rapids and scary currents in places, something neither had thought to tell you prior to accepting).

Additionally apart from the stressful job of dealing with the recently deceased keen to get across the river, some pesky hero turns up on your watch wanting passage in and out of the underworld (for a good cause of course :wink: ) They can’t pay a coin for the fare (which might upset Charon if he finds out you’re not collecting tolls properly) and they don’t have permission to be in the underworld (which will upset Hades if he finds out you brought them there). Do you take them, refuse or double cross them to Hades? What bargains do you make or part in the quest do you insist on being a part of to decrease the chances of being found out? Do you do it for the morality of the thing, for a bargained reward? Or if you double cross them what’s your reasons for doing so?

3 Likes

I really love these ideas! I can definitely go somewhere with a lot of these. I also like to incorporate subtle humour in my writing so I definitely appreciate the comedy.

2 Likes

Hmm…just a game idea and since there’s no specific pantheon
How about a world where you can pick any pantheons (Norse, Roman or Greek, Indian, Japan and etc.)?

Actually, nevermind…that is actually quite large ._.

An MC which is framed to have slayed a (major or minor, like Thanatos, Eos of Greek or Baldr of Norse) god and now looking for a way to seek justice or kill whoever framed you. And unknowingly gain the power of the slain god? Idk…I just think of it suddenly.

1 Like

I think for every god that tasks you with a good quest their should be the ability to turn it into a currupted one.

Or have an evil god task you with capturing whatever the good god is after. Make it morally question yourself no matter what you doing. Good bad or grey make the decision avaliable

1 Like

A Binbougami (God of Misfortune) fell in love with a mortal, but he/she is too shy and couldn’t confess to their crush. So he/she tasked you with being their Cupid. Will you help the poor Binbougami get together with their crush, knowing that will bring nothing but misfortune to the mortal man/woman?

Oh no, Amaterasu (Shinto Goddess of the Sun) had another fight with her brother Susanoo (God of Storm) and is now sulking in a cave! She blocked the cave entrance with a boulder and won’t come out. Without her the world is plunged into darkness. The 8 million gods has asked you to convince her to come out of her cave.

1 Like

Why does your first suggestion sound so familiar? I feel like I’ve read a manga or something that goes along those lines.

Also, I have a another suggestion. It’s Zeus’s birthday and Dionysus has just created a new wine as a gift. He has asked you to deliver it to Zeus but oh no! A thieving scoundrel has stolen it! Can you find and take it back before the party begins?

1 Like

No idea, maybe there’s a manga like that somewhere. I just took a common romance anime/manga trope and slapped it onto a Binbougami

1 Like

Baphomet: “The high priest of the Temple of Baal just commissioned the construction of a statue of me doing rather questionable things with a goat! Destroy him and his firstborn son! And tear that statue down while you’re at it!”

1 Like

Zeus: " My wife thinks I’m cheating on her! What’s that? Am I? That’s not important! All that matters is that you convince her I’m innocent. Why, I’ll be able to guilt trip her for many a year to come!"

2 Likes

Hades: Some wayward spirit has decided to stir up some trouble in my Underworld! Why, he even had the audacity to urinate directly into my wine cup! Get down there and kick the piss out of him!

1 Like

Dolphin God (with a tendency to kidnap): “See that room over there with the iron doors? Yeah, the one that locks from the outside. Go in there. Nothing bad’ll happen. Come on, trust me… I’m a dolphin.”

Props to anyone who gets the reference.

Creepy Pervert God (Male): “I’ve been a bad boy, I need you to spank me. Now spit on me and tell me I’m nothing but a dirty trash boy.”

2 Likes

I just got this image of runaway spot

8 Likes

So does it have to be a god like oden or can we make it like Hercules(dimi-god) has decided to finally became a real God but his father Zeus is not responding not able to reach his father he asks you for your help before picking you up and throwing you with this strength to Mount Olympus were you found that Zues is dead and now Hades…is leading the last of the gods to defeat the insane Poseidon

Cronus has escaped and threatens to destroy everything and every thing the whole worlds fate rest on your shoulder bath boy now go scrub his back!!! And yes I am talking about that massive Cronus that after centurys of imprisonment wants a bath

Kratos is on the war path again his need for battle alwase getting to him but fear not Athena had given you the task to calm his battle lust now set out hero and gather your things you have a long journey ahead of you

That is adorable! I just want to hug him!!

1 Like

An option is to try and create multiple stories using certain Gods. Separating all stories into chapters, avoids the game being viewed as stagnant, and the user believing they are “unlucky” for receiving any of the same or similar quests.

Greek Gods (Chronologial)

(I reccomend choosing a character like Hermes to play with. He has ambition, and is already the messenger of the gods. So people could jokingly send him on errands. Since they see him as nothing he overhears them talk about their challenges. So as to prove himself worthy towards his father.)

Hercules: Perhaps hes drunk when he asks you to ask Cerebrus to leave hell. That is hercules 12th labour and most challeging.

Aphrodite: Asks you to restore Eros (her son’s) passion. To get Cerebrus to leave hell you make him fall in love with something you (enchant/bless) noone knows this was how you did it, but to do it you stole Eros “mojo” (a physical amulet) and you can give it back to him.

Pan: To help Eros you use Pan to restore is disires fully. Pan then wants you to bring him a seed as an equaliser. Which he says will revolutionize the entire earth. He says it will massively aid in the worship of the gods.

That seed is called grass. Perhaps you can steal designs, or ask Zues to make one. Cool dialogue could go there explaining it’s uses, and potential to feed all sorts of cattle, then in turn humans.

A powerful worshipper could deceive your character leading to him bargaining (completing challenges) to free Cronos from hell itself. His awkening may lead to the next chapter,

I apprecciated a lot of this is my thoughts, but is there anything there you might use?

1 Like