NaNoWriMo - 2016! (add your NaNo name on Post 69!)

Well, since I’m usually fully booked during the afternoon, and collapse pretty early in the evening…

I wake up really early to write.

Which means, its back to setting my alarm to an hour earlier rather than half an hour earlier than what is technically my “time to start getting ready for the day”.

I enjoyed the extra half hour :sweat_smile: but it’s always worth it when I’m working on a story, so no real harm done. (Save for to my sleep schedule).

2 Likes

Okay. Got plans to get Fallen Hero back on the road again. November is a good month for writing, and I really want to get to the good parts of the game!

8 Likes

One week until we start! Here’s Calvin with some questionable advice!

8 Likes

There’s thing thing called “college” that prevents me from writing as often as I did in high school. “College” was also the reason why I did not join NaNo last year.

I finally made up my mind on what to write, by the way. I’ll be working on my first CS game, and the novelization of said game. And I’m rebelling anyway, so if I’m hurting for word count I’ll just include my academic papers that I’ll probably be working on come November, lol.

2 Likes

Oh… Academic papers can be included in Nano? Then things are much easier…

2 Likes

I’m not much for schedules (given my insomnia, I don’t always have “days” like other people) so I’ve been trying to figure out how to handle this. But in my case, once I start writing, I can fall into it for hours; the trouble is usually starting.

So I found a routine that seems to be working:

1. Every period of time in which I’m awake, as soon as I can, I sit down to code for as long as I want.
  2. Other people are forbidden to disturb me while coding for anything short of a house fire.

I’ve been getting through edits pretty quickly, so this should stand me well through November.

3 Likes

My planning for Nov is going pretty well, and I’m actually going to one of the prep events for the local writers on Sat, so hopefully that will help. Hoping I can get into a decent rhyme of things anyway.

1 Like

November’s going to be a busy and stressful month for me. I’m vaguely thinking of doing NaNoWriMo anyway even though my brain’s filled with fog and I’m full of excuses.

It’s just 2,000 words a day. I’ve never managed to succeed before though. I can usually do 10 days and that’s it.

I would like to get more work done on my Fairy Godmother game.

9 Likes

I think that would be wonderful.

The very fact that you will be doing work on it is exciting to me. :heart:

7 Likes

Last day of planning before the big kick off! Going to a prep event helped because you realize everyone is as crazy and ambitious and challenged as you are. But after months of prep it’s nice to finally be ready in part to write my game out…

2 Likes

NaNo has officially begun!! In my timezone, that is :stuck_out_tongue: But I’m too tired to write past 1K words tonight, so I’m stopping at 500 or so. I’ll fill in the rest later. Best of luck to all of you guys!

4 Likes

@LaReveuse, so you’re the first actual starter! Excellent!

Here in the EST of the US, it starts in 11 hours! And as I won’t be doing any writing at midnight, it really starts for me tomorrow night.

4 Likes

I started a bit today solely because I have been stupid and told myself to do two projects this month so got 50,000 words for season two (108 words do far) and 50,000 words for Moonlight Noir. (343 words so far)

4 Likes

Six hours to go for me! Though I suspect since I have a short work run at 9.30 tomorrow I’ll start in the early afternoon and try for a solid 2000 words if I can to give a good head start. Good luck people!

1 Like

Okay I changed my mind and officially signed up. They don’t care if you are really starting something new or continuing an existing project. It’s all about the 50,000 words!

Find me under EricSMoser or search by novel Community College Hero

6 Likes

Yeah you’ll be simply considered to be a ‘rebel’, but honestly it’s a badge of pride, as long as you try your best to do 50,000 words or more in 30 days it doesn’t matter what it is, and more Community College Hero is awesome since I loved the first one! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, @derekmetaltron, I’ve been cranking it out pretty consistently for the past few months and I’m getting excited as I build momentum. Hopefully November will get me past the 50% point.

Oh and the Nano folks wouldn’t even consider me a rebel anymore. The below was pasted from the FAQ in the Nano Rebel forum section.

I’m continuing last year’s NaNo, or another work I’ve been writing on before November. Am I a rebel?

Not anymore. You no longer have to start from scratch… With that said, we still strongly encourage you not to bring unfinished manuscripts for your first NaNo, at the very least. Finishing a work in progress for NaNoWriMo can be much, much harder. Give yourself the gift of a clean slate, and start from word one on November 1.

If you choose to continue a previous work, you can only count the words you write during November. You still have to write 50k. :wink:

7 Likes

Ok, you convinced me. I caved and made one for The Sea Maiden WIP I’ve got since they’ll let you taken partial scripts into the challenge :slight_smile:
I’ve been working on it but it’s so busy at the moment. Perhaps this will make me find the time to get a serious amount done in November.

6 Likes

I’ve decided that I hate myself, so here I go again.

Seriously though, I think this will be a good way to put down all the of the thoughts that have been running around and completely overhauling and rewriting the story I started in August (was it that long ago?!) 50k may be the goal, but I’ll be happy with 35k.

2 Likes

Haha here’s hoping. That also reminds me of a quote that seems rather appropriate at the moment:

“In my writing, I average about ten pages a day. Unfortunately, they’re all the same page.”
~ Michael Alley, The Craft of Scientific Writing

(I’m thinking that applies to creative writing as well as scientific. Does NaNoWriMo allow re-drafts, edits and “yep let’s bin this page and start again’s” in their word counts? That would make it easier again for me to achieve the word count challenge :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

2 Likes