Names for all in the land

My WIP has a name that, if you type it in, will give you a small bonus to a secret stat. There’s also a point in the game where you need to nickname someone, and typing in certain nicknames would give you secret stat bonuses/bonus relationship points. I was hesitant on implementing it, but I decided, why the heck not? They’ll be like little easter eggs :laughing:

1 Like

That seems a little bit unfair, only benefiting the very lucky, or the people who’d read through the code (like me :smirk:). It does make sense that calling someone by a nickname they’d like could boost their relationship value, but even then it’d be hard to guess what the accepted names are.

My WIP does have a catcher for major NPC names, each delivered in the voice of that NPC (which range from “THAT’S THE BEST NAME! But it’s already taken, so try again!” to “…not happening.”), but that’s just about all I do.

1 Like

As it is, it seems very unlikely that someone would get the name, so I see your point :sweat_smile: but the particular secret stat which it affects is admittedly not that significant, it just adds a bit of flavor, if you get what I mean. As for the nicknames, there’ll be a few hints :wink:

I haven’t thought of making a catcher! But then again, my NPCs names are fairly uncommon. I’m at least 95% sure that nobody’s going to take the same names as my NPCs :stuck_out_tongue:

Fair enough.

Well, while my names do go between common and very uncommon, I have had a player reveal that they’d started using the name of the dark god… (So, that has to be fixed…)

1 Like

Except when they play your story a second or third time - or get hints from forums or such. Unfortunately, to avoid issues, big and small, the “catcher” code is best for us all, I think.

I asked @ParrotWatcher to help me on that once and he was not happy :frowning: I was sad cuz he did a good job in his work.

1 Like

I am always happy. :grin: (Unless dead/unromanceable boyfriends are involved.)

I guess you’re both correct. It does make sense to have a catcher, especially since the first scene in my WIP takes place after everything’s happened. But most of the characters haven’t even been introduced yet, so I guess I could implement that later? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It certainly would be helpful to keep things diverse, but I think it’d also cause some funny/awkward scenes where the MC has the same name as someone else.

“Sgared! What were you doing sneaking out with… Um… The other Sgared? cough Don’t you two know it’s dangerous out there right now?!”

2 Likes

Oh god :laughing: wouldn’t want that to happen. or do I?

1 Like

Hello!
To be honest I don’t have a name I use everywhere.
I sometimes use my real name: Karl Erik Kivimäe, sometimes I use my spanish “undercover name”: Carlos Enrico Ciwi, sometimes I use the givenfirst options and sometimes I improvise. It all depends on where I am and how it would be logical. You can’t have a british captain named Kim Yong Gun nor xX_SWAGLORD_Xx
Well in the games I would like to see options for people around the world
Names like: Henry, Louis, Ernesto, Dave, Franz, Vladimir etc

@Karl_9 Welcome to the community. As a general rule: Please do not post in threads that have laid dormant for more then a month. Thanks!