Myrk Mire (working title) WIP

There’s always one :rofl:

Just kidding :joy: I would never get rid of my little Maeve. Though, I imagine MC finds her annoying at timess :thinking::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Blog down. Is it being redone, or has something more happened? :thinking:

3 Likes

Yes, they’re modifying the blog and the reacts page.

4 Likes

@LadyUmbreon89 Yeah, don’t panic, I’m addressing some coding issues in the theme and reacts page system which complicate the upload process. I also changed the name of my tumblr profile to reflect my author name rather than the name of the novel, so that has disrupted links. I’m just going through and changing the hyperlinks in the individual posts now. After today the original reacts page should still work fine if you follow the post links rather than the buttons on the sub-site, but for now you can use the link below:

Reacts Page

@bluesparkle Thank you so much for jumping in with an explanation for others. Very much appreciated!

EDIT: All links in the Posts should now be working, let me know if you find exceptions.

11 Likes

Great WIP. Can’t wait for an update

So, this is kinda weird and out of the blue. In past saves I was able to name my character “Louis”, but now I can’t because that’s the name of an LI. I understand it’s a measure to keep the story from becoming confusing, and I actually approve of it, but I’m doing a playthrough with all female ROs, so there’s no “Louis” but “Leila”. It’s probably too much to ask and I’ll understand if you ingore this comment, but could you make it so I can name my character Louis if the RO is a female? Sorry to bother you with this weird request

Edit: Nevermind, I’ll stick to “Louiz”. Ignore this comment

1 Like

No worries! I’ve played around in the reacts scenarios, and read what you had to say about building it in the first place–it’s sincerely an impressive piece of work, so if it needs downtime for maintaining, there are no issues with that. :grin:

One thing I wanted to ask about the ‘three cores’ for the romance play styles is whether or not the “hesitant” style can accomplish the feel of a more ‘shy’ approach to romance? I have to ask because it’s not disloyalty per se if a shy individual hasn’t got the words (or capacity for them) to boldly declare their intentions, which is what the first core path seems to be based solely on the descriptor words you chose. There are other nuances to think about later down the line (M’s possible negative influence on the MC’s romantic experiences, to express my train of thought), but they’re not of pressing relevance quite yet, and probably not for a while unless something critical happens to shift things into higher gear.

The main MC I’ll be using is fiercely loyal, just… a panicking disaster when it comes to flirting. Add in he’ll cut ties with anyone who dares suggest he get rid of the child, and that makes for some strong inclination for flight in the ‘fight or flight’ instincts. So it’s a really good thing no one in Aldmirham is about to chase them off for staying together. :blush:

2 Likes

Right, I suppose I didn’t really explain the new system too well on the public platforms, and I can see how my wording is liable to lead to some confusion.

Basically, the new system works like this:

There are three core ways to approach romantic relationships within the game, but within those routes there are nuances that allow the player to tailor events.

• Direct/Loyal: The Main Character flirts with only one of the romance options. They can experience these flirt scenes in one of four different styles; warm (cosy romance more akin to friends falling in love), confident (the main character is openly flirtatious and extrovert in their actions), playful (jokes, hijinks, and a few romantic misunderstandings…), and shy (a few stutters here, a few furious blushes there, and a general sense of hopelessly infatuated but painfully unable to get the right words out to express it). On this route the romantic interest will feel more assured of the main character’s affections, and will be more secure in their own pursuit of the main character.

• Hesitant: The Main Character does not flirt with anyone right away, unsure about who they feel the strongest for, so holds back from pursuing anyone initially. They can choose at any time to start a flirtation with one of the romantic interests, and this will start them off on either an Early, Mid, or Late Stage Settle path towards the Direct/Loyal Route. If they get to the lock in point and still haven’t made any moves towards anyone, they can finish off the story on the platonic routes instead.

• Destructive: The Main Character is either openly hostile to other characters, flirts openly with more than one character and either refuses to settle with one or constantly contradicts themselves when discussing the matter with the other characters. This will begin an invisible count, once that count gets to a certain number (it varies dependent on the character, but everyone does get at least one point of ‘grace’ or warning for the player) that route is permanently locked off for that play through. As I said on Tumblr the other day, these people have their limits, you push them away (or into uncomfortable situations), they will push back.

There is a similar system on the Platonic side of things as well. You can be hostile (to a certain extent) and the characters will respond to this.

So in a straight forwards answer to your question, your MC can by all means be a panicking disaster, the shy option is there for you to use to your heart’s content. And you don’t need to actively pursue the flirtations all the time, I’m not penalising characters if they ‘take a chapter off’ the steamy stuff. But if you want a romantic ending, flirt with one option, don’t be hostile to them in otherwise platonic situations (this doesn’t mean you have to make your character agree with them all the time), and flirt at least twice before the mid way lock in. I hope that made things a little clearer for you.

And everybody loves (or at least tolerates) the child, so no worries there.

20 Likes

I wasn’t the one asking, but I’m always up for panicking disasters :rofl:

That being said, I really like the system you go for!
Wanted to ask about it: on the Hesitant path, do the characters assume the MC may be hesitating between more than one of them, or depending on the situation, they may rather have an approach of “are they interested in me or not?” (so instead of being “do they like me or do they like X?”) - does that make sense?

7 Likes

Interesting question. In essence none of the romantic interests will assume that the MC likes them in the romantic sense unless they are given direct evidence that this could be a possibility. So, unless the Main Character flirts with them at some point during the narrative, be that with the confidence of a Casanova or crumbling into a flustered puddle as soon as they enter a room, they will not look at them in a romantic light. The only two exceptions to this rule are in terms of the person who accompanies the Main Character into the storeroom, they have a slight infatuation with the Main Character, but unless this is reciprocated in the first chapter they’ll let this go without drama, and K.

K is always the exception.

K will be… how to phrase it… a little more “direct” about the possibility of romance, but even they will back off as soon as it becomes clear the Main Character isn’t responding favourably.

The cast will only assume the Main Character is torn between romantic interests if the Main Character flirts with multiple romantic interests.

14 Likes