Myrk Mire (working title) WIP (Demo updated 15/08/2022)

@Catt Will there also be more romantic interaction? Also (and i just had to stat this) looking forward to the 16th so i can see what happens next :rofl:

1 Like

I could just be mean and say SPOILERS, wait and see, but I’m going to be nice and give a little hint…

Depending on your route there could be some romantic interactions, it just might not be with the person you’re expecting…

9 Likes

Catt: …‘More romantic interactions’! :blush:

Me: Imagine countless kissy-fish-face done to all 3 romances :kissing_closed_eyes:

Catt: Put the cat in your path

Cat: Meow Romantic Interactions!

Me: :smirk: It can still be smooched!

1 Like

That would be downright adorable :black_cat:

Not saying you’re right, not saying you’re wrong, just observing the cuteness

5 Likes

Me after reading your post: Ok, i have a test that day. I need to focus on my priorities.
Also me: That test is at 6PM, i can play the new chapter few times before it… This will be hard. :smiley:

5 Likes

Well, I mean, if your test is on Tudor history…

All jokes aside, do make sure that you don’t stress yourself over with skewed priorities. The Chapter will be good and patient, it isn’t going to be going anywhere.

Good luck on your test!

10 Likes

Demo update is live!

You now all have access to chapter 2 part 2, consisting of about 29,000 words, with large variations specific to certain character choices, so it’s impossible to see all the new content using one Main Character.

As always, feedback and bug reports are most appreciated.

I hope you enjoy (ish) (not sure enjoy is really the right word here) !

41 Likes

i have now just finished one playthrough and i gotta say. the whole flashback was such a wonderful part. i definitely enjoyed it. i have yet to see it all but man is it such nice part to see what life the mc had before meeting the kid. i also enjoyed the mc’s spouse. i was surprised that we actually set a vague age for the mc. i was honestly expecting to have a one on one talk with K but guess that will happen on the next part. great chapter! really established the mc more

also just noticed that i think the end of the demo just loops and not show the usual ending you’d put there

3 Likes

I’m so glad you enjoyed the dreams. I really want to give the impression that the reader is getting to know an individual (and helping to mould them), that this person has had a rich and sometimes tragic life before the events of the story. I was a bit nervous about having the dreams in there, I didn’t want to yank folks out of the current issues of the story, namely the new houseguest and their motivations, but it felt important to give a context for what’s coming up soon.

The looping demo bit is a bug. It’ll get sorted out in the patch later today (I hope). Thanks for letting me know!

15 Likes

Great read so far! Though I seem to have run into a bug : “ch1_aldmirham_part_2 line 1068: increasing indent not allowed, expected 12 was 16”
Happened around chapter two right after the mc removed their hand from the storeroom handle.

1 Like

That’s interesting.

Can I ask whether you’re playing on an old save? Did you start a new readthrough with the latest update?

What seems to be happening is that your story is passing two *if checks and your readthrough is being chucked out into the next section without being correctly redirected.

In this readthrough of the story what did your Main Character ask the Child to do in the approach to the storeroom? Did they tell them to wait, or to come with them?

I just started reading yesterday, and the mc asked the child to wait. However I tried again from the start choosing the same choices and it seems to be working now, so I think the problem probably still stemmed from the save i loaded from, maybe I saved and loaded too quickly or something?
(oh and apparently the error happened in chap 1 part 2, my bad mistook it for chap2)

1 Like

Glad it seems to be working now. There were a couple of patches yesterday, perhaps they upset the save system in some way?

Let me know if it happens again, and I’ll do a deep diagnostic on what might be going wrong.

dang i hope this wip gets finished. It looks very interesting!

1 Like

I noticed two errors during my read through.

First, while in the pub with P during the cobtide festival the wrong pronoun is used for the flirty bar lady.

Summary

I laughed her off. She was so unsteady and slurred, I honestly doubted whether he could have singled out the differences between me and a duck, let alone undertake any further attempts at seduction or smooth-talking she might have had planned.

Also, while on a platonic/not romantic route with A L and P this doubling happens in the secrecy scene.

Summary

“We can speak privately here,” she explains, her fingers flexing against the inside of my wrist, pressing upon my pulse, lingering as its beat fluctuates wildly.

“Why?” I ask, before quickly clarifying, “Why would we need to speak privately?”

Kelda’s focus drifts to the others in the room, and her expression sours. “On occasion I will have no wish to speak to your friends,” she says, and I cannot help but notice how she lingers on Erda in particular. “No matter how much they try to interrupt me.”

My skin itches as the implication of what she’s saying settles over me.

“You want me to keep secrets from them.”

The uncuþ with the body of a cynn woman turns back to face me. “What would be the point in wanting that?” she asks, seeming genuinely curious. “You’re not likely to, are you?”

I hesitate, mostly for fear of her reaction, then I shake my head.

Somewhat smug, Kelda nods. “If I wanted secrecy out of you, Nostra, I would force it by taking your tongue.”

“You want me to keep secrets from them?” I ask, feeling the prickle of their eyes, even though I know they can see us.

The uncuþ with the body of a cynn woman turns back to face me. “What would be the point in wanting that?” she asks, seeming genuinely curious. “You’re not likely to, are you?”

I hesitate, mostly for fear of her reaction. Then I ask my self that same question. Would I keep secrets from them?

Kelda’s smugness falters. “Perhaps you would,” she says ponderously. After, in an utterly a matter of fact manner, she adds, “If I wanted secrecy out of you, Nostra, I would force it by taking your tongue.”

With that out if the way I’d just like to say I love Kelda. It’s still early days yet but I had a good feeling about them and they have not disappointed. I can’t wait for little Kirie, my MC’s daughter, to meet K properly.

3 Likes

@Black_Son I share that hope! This story will get finished! My stubborn side has declared it! It may take me a long time, but unless something absolutely disastrous happens (and I need to put my time towards bringing in a proper income again rather than relying on savings), I will see this thing completed!

@no1uno Cheers for both of those bugs! Found them, fixed them, and the amended files should now be uploaded.

That first meeting between the Child, Keldan and Kelda is going to be interesting… Not sure what the others will think about it (I lie, Peyton and Peidyn will hate it 100%).

5 Likes

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ThisBriefBittern-max-1mb.gif

We need kleenex, hypertension pills, and some kool-Aid to survive that kind of thing catt! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

found this while im playin on abe’s route

1 Like

Right, got it! Took me a minute to figure out why the two passages were visible, but I’ve sorted it out.
The new file will go up in a bit.

Thank you for the bug report!

7 Likes

It’s been a fair while since I gave any kind of update on here, so here we go.

I’m currently working through Chapter 2 part 3, in the first big dialogue branching incident where the Main Character can begin to build up friendships with the other core cast outside of romance, or where they can attempt to switch romantic routes. As you may be able to guess, this means a lot of complexity.
I’ve been hampered in the last few weeks by powercuts and workmen, so progress has been slow, but I have, as of yesterday, managed to finally get back into the swing of things. I’m aiming to release the next section of the demo by mid-July, and as soon as I have a firm date for that I’ll let you all know.

For those inclined, I’ve also been working on a calendar system of sorts for the game/story, this tumblr post explains in detail, so check it out if and when you have the time.

Thank you all for your continued patience, this story is taking so long to write, but it’ll be worth it in the end I hope.

40 Likes