Most hated thing or mechanic in choice games (and other games)

I wish we could go back or save games. Especially for replays, while skimming through, I might click the wrong thing while I’m racing up to a decision branch I want to explore. Then… start again.

16 Likes

When games pretend you have any choice but then railroad everything. Like Joan of Fart in Windbrooke asked which building i wanted to purve first but then shot down my ideas. If i don’t have a choice don’t offer me one. It’s :poop: writing. Now when it’s done like in CCH where each option is spelling out a sentence that’s fine because I’m choosing “I’m bringing her down” not “her” but when its plain railroading it grinds my gears. Another example. I was dodgong romamce in the courtship of mrs. Bennett becausey character was a lesbian but she ended up accepting the colonels engagement without even my input. And every. Single. Freaking time i tried to make a choice the “author” didn’t like they overruled me and forced the option they wanted. Literally every time making it one of the worst things I’ve ever read and I’ve been to 4chan and twitter.

9 Likes

Personally, I strongly dislike the more “gamey” ones - the games that in my opinion sacrifice narrative value in favor of reader self-insertion, easy readability, and tempered down themes.

3 Likes

@Tornam I’ve seen people comment on this a lot, but I’m not sure I fully understand. So, if you don’t mind me asking… what do you mean? Games that rely heavily on stats and mechanics? Or ones that don’t have a set character voice and personality?

I’m always curious about where that line is for other people.

1 Like

Heavy handed stats can be part of the problem, but they can also be handled well.

My main concern really, is as you said, when the character doesn’t feel like they have a voice. When they are too easily melded to the character the reader wants them to be. It makes extremely difficult to explore deep topics narratively. It is theoretically possible to balance both, but in practical reality most authors have to choose one.

4 Likes

Ah, okay. I totally get that. I also prefer stronger narratives and character voices. I’ve seen one or two games that manage to make a blank slate carry a personality through dialogue options, but not many. If not written well, blank characters can end up making the story feel flat.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s the most hated thing, but games that ask me how I feel about characters or whether I’m interested in romancing them right after they’re introduced have been increasingly getting on my nerves lately. It’s not even a recent trend, so I’m not sure why it increasingly bothers me…

I suppose it works well for people who enjoy playing really flirty MCs, though.

17 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Don’t think I’ve seen this one yet. Something that bothers me is when character customization allows for curly hair but has a scene in which the MC is brushing or finger-combing their dry hair. Please don’t brush curly hair when it’s dry. Every time I see a scene like that I can only think about the frizzy mess that my MC has for hair

6 Likes

My guess would be that it’s like:
-Okay this is happening, I don’t like it but, let’s get through it then move on to the next.
-Again? Okay, It’ll be over…
-Seriously? How many games have this?
-…My patience starts to wear off.
-Okay that’s it. I’m seriously annoyed.

Anyway, I get you. I don’t believe in “love at first sight” either. I mean what do you see first? Someones appearance and maybe their apperoach to strangers, but even if they are the most attractive person on Earth they could still be a total a*hole. So I’d prefer to wait until I see more of their personality.

8 Likes

Does a loading screen that takes forever for every thing under the sun count as a hated thing…glares at Skyrim and fallout

1 Like

It’s been stated a million times already probably, but I hate when a game decides for me, from a single choice, how my character reacts to X and Y. Like, you pick an option for an immediate action, and then a great big wall of text appears deciding like, the next four actions. For example (being hypothetical here), my character risked herself saving someone she thought was a friend (barely, they were pretty cold and standoffish), only for that friend to rat her out to the authorities to save themselves. Okay, that’s fine. Some people are like that. Fast forward several weeks where I’m on the run, but I found information that’ll help the city solve, idk, a murder case. So naturally, the first person I run into is Turn Coat. They moved up in society while I was gone, apparently. Now, here’s where the real problem is. I cut to the chase and choose the option to tell them the info I found. You’d think my next option would be to respond to whatever they say next, right?

Nope. I have to sit and read a good two pages worth of wall text of my character going “I thought we were friends” to Turn Coat and “I know I could trust them” to herself. Except I knew we were over between us the minute they turned me in, so I would never say that. And Turn Coat takes the time to mouth off to me about how nothing’s changed just because I found a little piece of evidence, and how they basically never liked me. Now’s my chance to respond, right? No. My character gives up and lets the argument drop because there was “no point in continuing”. All from a single choice I made.

And of course there’s the “illusion” of choice. Straight after that, we run into the murderer’s accomplice, who kills me after I tried three separate times to talk and convince her to back down, even though the narrative states she “clearly doesn’t want to fight” and she “looks like she needs help”. That’s it. Game over.

Sorry for the rant, I payed for this game and I honestly have never felt so dissatisfied. It takes a lot to convince me to buy a game, and all the others I’ve played I’ve had no problems with, so unfortunately it’s made me wary of purchasing another. On an unrelated note, I know a lot of people don’t like too many stats, but I actually enjoy them. I play a lot of rpgs so I don’t have to worry about it taking away from the story.

2 Likes