Disliked Elements, Mechanics, and Tropes

Pretty much any story where my character is unwittingly drafted into some organization or another inevitably becomes them trying to break free from a cynical, tyrannical group hell-bent on some nefarious objective or other, even if the actual stated goals of said organization are completely benign and my being recruited was a matter of unfortunate necessity.

7 Likes

Good article touching obliquely on some of the things we’ve been talking about:

9 Likes

That was beautiful. And slighly creepy, although that part may simply be due to how much I’ve been reading horror lately.

2 Likes

Strange, because I’m the opposite. I don’t really care if I was drafted or not, I never take the option to say “I never wanted any of this!!!” I did. That’s why I bought the game. No sense dragging out the angst.

9 Likes

That was an excellent article. And I agree with it 100%. Honestly, I think one of the biggest problem in any fictional media right now is the homogeneity of it. Everyone tries to follow the same rules and it stifles creativity. Furthermore, people have to create using the method that works best for them or they become unable to write, no matter how good their ideas may be.

9 Likes

While this is true, there is a reason for it, which has come up on another thread. I’m just going to tag @Eric_Moser in on this one.

3 Likes

Really, it’s not like we lack creativity: the trick is to be paid for it. Writing’s always been a field where you only got appropriately compensated if you struck gold - this is why things might seem a little stale from the readers/consumer’s perspective.
At the end of the day, if you want to get paid for doing what you love you need to compromise and be consistent. It’s the same for every artist. If you let yourself go wild - and artists often do if you know where to look - you can make and write all kinds of wild, indulgent and experimental art, but if you want to have fans you will draw titties and fanart. The trick to not going mad, I think, is to inject enough creativity and your own ideas into those preset frames. Or just not caring for financial gain.

10 Likes

The bummer is when people get so caught up in the cynicism of, “If I want to get paid, I have to fit the mold” that they forget that it’s possible for people to enjoy that same work as a hobby.

I remember having a discussion with this one guy on the GaiaOnline forums (WHOOF, that just made me feel old) about writing just for the fun of it - I think the thread was a general question of “why do you write?”, or something to that effect - and I said that it’s just something I enjoy doing for the hell of it, and that completely floored the dude. (He wasn’t the thread author, he was just one of the people replying to it, like I was.)

Here’sa snippet of what I remember from that conversation:

Dude: “But, like, do you get paid for it?”

Me: “Nope, I don’t see a dime for my work.”

Dude: “So then what’s the point?”

Me: “There has to be a point to me enjoying things?”

Dude: “You just said you don’t get paid for it, why bother doing it if you’re not making any money off of it?”

To simplify an otherwise long-winded answer, what I ultimately said was that I have a regular day job that takes care of my paychecks, that I work out of necessity, not because I like working. I do my day job to keep my bills paid and food on the table, I write because it’s something that I just like doing, and that I like having the freedom to go my own way on. Simple as that.

Poor fella just could not wrap his head around that. He just kept repeating “but if you don’t get paid, what’s the point?” over and over again until I finally just told him, “look, I’ve given my reasons several times now, if you don’t get it, that’s a you problem, I’m not gonna keep going around in circles like this,” and I think he ended up blocking me for that.

So, that’s probably the big thing that’ll keep me from ever writing anything for CoG, or if I do, it’ll be strictly hobby projects. I prefer to set my own boundaries, and unfortunately, CoG - no offense to them! - has different boundary lines that I would be expected to fit myself into, and I just don’t enjoy that kind of restriction, regardless of how necessary it might be.

Anyhow, that’s my quota of off-topic tangent-having filed for the day, I’ll pipe down now.

10 Likes

Or just say ‘Do you get paid for X (X being whatever they like, like gaming)? No, why you do it hm? Why aren’t you streaming?’ :rofl:

6 Likes

I probably should’ve, that conversation went on for like an hour before I finally got fed up with it. Just my luck, though, that wouldn’t have worked either!

2 Likes

Then just say its a Hobby, and if they get a clueless look on their face? Toss them a dictionary…and leave! :laughing:

could he’ve been trolling you pretending to be clueless?

Here a nice trick: Start talking about growing your ‘other’ Hobby!

Growing Turnip!

5 Likes

I feel like if he was trying to troll me, he wouldn’t have gotten pissed and blocked me when I finally said that I was done talking about it.

That said, oh my God, that image XD

3 Likes

A Jan story with no turnips or griffins? I didn’t even remember that one.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it was you or some other person that recommend night market, which by the way is a wonderful IF and it needs more attention.

But your post is particularly true because as of current they been giving the night market author a lot of flake for “not catering or writing for the players”. Some of the players feel that their being “forced” in poly relationships or that the traditional masculine looking RO is actually pretty submissive. Or that the fact that the ROs aren’t all over the MC but have their own problems and complicated love lives. I respect that the author is putting her foot down and writing what she wants.

Or another great piece of work is Alfie, you could tell that the author was just getting tired of making it, but sadly had to keep going to cater to the fans. But if you ever checked his Twitter account, you can see what he really wants to make, lovecraftian and eldritch type stuff.

I wish people in general understood that forcing an artist or author to cater to them is literally robbing not only the creator but themselves from an different but wonderful experience.

We can have titties, ass and eldritch abominations all at the same time.

4 Likes

I mean, finishing your project isn’t ‘catering’ to anyone and is pretty important. Continuing to develop a project even when the passion is gone (within reason) is actually a pretty important skill to develop, unless you’re fine with ending up with the bad habit of leaving unfinished projects behind (and it is an actual bad habit you can develop).

15 Likes

I think I worded it wrong rather he was tired of doing the same thing within the story, it was becoming stale to him. But if he were to try something new with it, it made certain types of people upset.

4 Likes

Just discovered something new I hate: IF games that have a whole ass tumblr blog where the author basically RP all day but the state of the demo is still ‘To be added / announced’ two or even 3 years after the initial post was made.

47 Likes

It amuses me when I see on the blogs of such “authors” links to Ko-fi and Patreon…

Similar annoying thing in the IF community on Tumblr - someone makes pinned post about game with super-interesting game plot and characters. But the status of this wip is: very early stage. The person is active for a while (or made just one post) then disappears and never posts anything again.

It’s so frustrating, omg! I’ve followed hundreds of such blogs. Now when I see new blog with “upcoming IF”, I usually ignore it, even if plot description sounds amazing…

32 Likes

Tone indicators in dialogues/choices (i.e. emojis in a flirt option or when it says which skill will be checked)

I know it’s just the authors trying to avoid misunderstandings, but I’m glad when they put a toggle for it :')

3 Likes

100% agree with toggle options for these, but personally I love having them. I’m absolute garbage at subtext in these games. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tanked a relationship by confusing a hostile choice with flirting or friendly banter. God, no wonder I don’t have more friends

17 Likes