Mordred: Blood Cries Afar (WIP)

Morganna will now be making an appearance in Chapter 1. She’s likely to have a larger role in Chapters 3 and 4.

As I’m now starting to write some of the main female characters, I’d particularly welcome your thoughts on the gender politics of Arthurian Britain. I found the original stories’ portrayals of women too limiting, and wanted to weave in material from Dark Age and Medieval history to build stronger and more interesting female characters.

I’m going to use Queen Anna (Mordred’s mother) as an example to illustrate my thinking, both because she’s the model of Queenship that Mordred will be most familiar with and because she’s going to have a considerably expanded role in my story.

Queen Anna was brought up in Uther’s court in Londinium. She’s therefore well versed in the intricacies of courtly politics, and also more highly educated than most of Gododdin’s nobility. This has given her a reputation for wisdom. Some of Anna’s herb-lore might be taken for witchcraft, although no one’s likely to object to that unless she starts poisoning or cursing people.

As I’ve explained in Chapter 1, King Lot spends a lot of time trying to hold down the frontier. Anna has taken ownership of much of Gododdin’s governance is his absence. She metes out justice in her husband’s name, and has also taken charge of the day-to-day running of his court. Because Lot’s known to listen to Anna’s advice, it also wouldn’t be too unusual for a claimant to make overtures to her in the hope that she’ll represent their case favourably to the king.

If an enemy were to besiege Gododdin’s capital in Lot’s absence then she’d probably be very capable of organising the defence.

However, her political power-base largely depends on her relationship with King Lot. If Lot were to die or set her aside then she would lose much of her current influence, and might be forced to enter a nunnery (although even that could provide an ambitious noblewoman with significant opportunities for advancement). There may also be a more general tendency for men to think of women in terms of their proximity to other men (e.g. Lot only refers to the woman that Wastrel Mordred may have impregnated as “Gwair’s daughter”).

There’s probably also also a cultural expectation that a woman’s “worth” is linked to her fertility. That isn’t a problem for Anna, but may well become one for Guinevere if she and Arthur aren’t able to have children.

Mordred will, of course, remain entirely within the reader’s control - and it will be down to you to decide what he makes of all this. Morganna is also likely to be a character that subverts some of Arthurian Britain’s gender norms, and seeks to turn them to her own advantage.

Is any of this likely to raise red flags that would detract from your enjoyment of the story? Obviously, happy to hear from you if you think there are things I could be doing better.

15 Likes

This is actually pretty common Relationship. One of the darker examples of it is that no one even realizes of these thinks about is during the early Republic And The antebellum south. The masters of this plantation houses had multiple business ventures medium them dead if they were indeed properly ambitious so they were traveling all the time or they are even in the capital. Which majority of time they indirectly manage their estate. The ones that did all the day-to-day maintenance of the plantation was wife. Let that sink in with the whole nature of cattle slavery.

1 Like

Okay, I’ve added the absolute genesis of a new scene with Morganna and Urien. More to follow! Also added a bit more description to Mordred’s choices for the evening before the battle, and made a few more edits.

I need someone to kick my door down and beat me with a stick if I don’t get the scholar background up soon. Know exactly what I’m going to say, but can’t make the text work.

@Rogar Very true - and of noble women in a lot of other pre-modern societies as well.

8 Likes

I’d really really like to read this.

However, the overuse of italics is. Well. Overused.

I’m pretty dyslexic. And large amounts of italics pretty much make this unreadable for me. I literally couldn’t play past the first choice because I spent 5 minutes trying to read my options before giving up.

Very interesting concept and something I would love to read, but unfortunately, very inaccessible.

3 Likes

Will we be able to romance Morganna?

1 Like

@saarebutts I’ll ask around to check whether there’s an easy way to give the reader the option of disabling italics.

@augustus27 Yes, in Chapter 3. Although it may be more a case of Morganna romancing you…

I might give Mordred the option of making a pass at Morganna in Chapter 1 as well, although it’s difficult to imagine that going well for him.

4 Likes

Added another update, with the build-up to the battle against the Picts. No new choices as yet, although the next update will give Mordred the option of duelling a Pictish champion.

Chapter 1 is now about 50% complete.

11 Likes

Me: (bitterly) Oh great, another bloody gender locked male WiP.

Also me: *deep inhale * HUUUUSH CHILD, THE DARKNESS WILL RISE– *continues to chant Mordreds Lullaby *

4 Likes

You won’t be surprised to learn that Mordred’s tale is a web of lies, falsehoods and deceits. There is a new update, but it doesn’t have anything to do with the Picts. The scholar background is now up, and I’ve added a small teaser for Chapter 2.

@bbymorphine Really enjoyed the song - very sinister and atmospheric. Definitely need to check out some of her other work!

5 Likes

This demo was really nice

1 Like

Okay, that’s the fight with the Pictish champion done!

The next update will (probably) see the mighty clash of shield-walls, the screams of the dying and the lamentations of their widows. Or I might get side-tracked and start writing the scene with Queen Anna…

12 Likes

That’s another section done, with a path through the first tranche of the battle. It’s currently written as if you’d taken the Warrior background: I’ll tweak it a bit later where changes are needed for the Scholar and Wastrel.

The battle’s becoming a far bigger part of Chapter 1 than I’d originally envisaged, and I’m mindful of the need to give the Scholar and Wastrel more options elsewhere in the chapter to compensate.

I’m definitely open to suggestions, so please give me a shout if there’s anything that you’d particularly like a more Guileful Mordred to be able to achieve in Lothian. I’ve got a couple of ideas for the night raid and the meeting with Urien and Morganna - there’ll also be a feast at the end of the chapter, which could present options for a bit more skulduggery.

Any more general feedback is also very welcome.

9 Likes

A someone that is actually putting their thesis on Arthurian mythology this is a great WiP to see. I love how its written too by the way. I’m gonna follow this one for each update it gives out ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

2 Likes

@Protagonist

What I found

I think this should be arrhythmic

Maybe this supposed to be “They are close enough that you can see each of the Beasts painted on their shields”?

I also have questions, do Morded going to meet that girl who captured by the Pict (or at least if player choose to save the girl) at least once? And are you planning to add save plugin?

1 Like

@Ledalla Thanks - glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

@Vattena Thanks! Unrhythmic is a word in UK English, but I’ll get the other one fixed. I’m aiming to make the time for some serious proof-reading over the weekend, but please let me know if you spot any other errors.

One thing I have noticed is that the Pictish champion currently goes from being shaven-headed to having spiked hair in the five minutes it takes you to walk across. Guess he must have been wearing a bald cap… :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m planning to give the girl a recurring role in the sorry if Mordred saves her, but haven’t worked out all of the details yet. I’m currently toying with the idea that she could be Nimue, or possibly even the Pictish sorceress in disguise (or both!) At a minimum, the option of a conversation at the feast seems appropriate. Similarly, if Mordred kills Cynon in Chapter 1 then his family might well come after you when you return to Lothian in Chapter 3.

Does a save point at the end of each chapter sound about right? I can also add a quick-start, if you’d prefer to skip to the new content.

6 Likes

Hmmm it’s up to you, because I’m okay with whatever you decide is :ok_hand:

1 Like

Okay, that’s another update up. I’ve tweaked the shield-wall path a bit for the Scholar and Wastrel backgrounds, and added a possible conclusion to the battle that every background will eventually be able to reach. Also added a few quick start options, if you’d prefer to skip straight to the newer content.

8 Likes

Regarding the ROs, I wonder has anyone bought this up yet, but, is there a chance for us to romance Arthur? Because, ya know, angst.

3 Likes

@Bourbon_neat That’s an interesting idea. Guess it would certainly play up the Greek tragedy aspect!

Arthur seems an unlikely romantic interest for Mordred, both because they’re related and because of the age gap, but I’ll give it some thought.

4 Likes

Merlin as a RO … especially after that sweet opening would be explosive … Such a relationship might even be called magical; if it were to exist :eight_pointed_black_star:

7 Likes