Monsters of New Haven High - last update 4/02

That’s always rough. I’m sorry.

5 Likes

Worry not as I always say, Masterpieces takes time, look at all those european artist, they take looooong time before they finished they art, and what you are doing here Sashira-sensei(is a japanese way to say teacher but is also used with writers amd such… probably) is art!!! we, your fans know that you are human and like every human you have problems and preoccupations, so don’t worry about the updates, take all the time you need and when you feel yourself ready come back to make the wonderful story that we all love.

1 Like

It’s actually for a person who is respected by many in their job or field, if not an outright literal teacher. Doctors and professors, usually. Unless she was teaching by example you wouldn’t use it.

You know me, Sash! Quality over quantity, and I do love you and your work. Take your time. Sleep. Eat. Be safe.

Ohhh, I see!

Well, I wanted to use as a respectful add to the name ^-^, you see I’m quite the big fan of anime and I saw one once where a writer was referred as sensei by her publisher, so I supposed that it was a way to call the writers, anyway thanks for the clarification ^

Take all the time you need.As long as you haven’t abandoned the project,it’s all good.

Take care not to stray into weeb territory. God knows I was an embarrassment in my weeb stage, using Japanese honourifics on everything and anything.

Was that writer particularly well-known? Or the publisher younger? Was the writer already well versed or qualified in another field? Was the writer a teacher or professor? There’s a lot of variables in play.

lets better don’t continue this conversation, it has nothing to do with the topic and I don’t want to accidentally “ignore the rules”

Thanks again with the sensei stuff before ^-^

1 Like

@Xelam13 Good point. Going off-topic is technically against the rules, though we’ll tolerate most of it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In case you haven’t found them yet, you can find the forum rules here.

the mods must have a blast with the infinity forum god knows that goes of topic from time to time

2 Likes

The Monsters of New Haven High demo link has been updated in the first post. Please welcome it to its new home on Dashingdon, and apologies for anyone left fiending for their monster fix during the Dropbox issues.

35 Likes

Thanks for the new link, nice to get to play one of my fav games on here again! :slight_smile:

Just a heads up that I got an error when my Goblin player was talking to Victoria whilst she was painting in study break on Day 1, it was when I had picked the ‘what are you painting?’ option and then the ‘I think it’s beautiful like she is’ option, which is where the error occured.

1 Like

It is the same error for a demon. It comes up as this:
sixth_period_study_hallline 1019: Invalid expression, couldn’t extract another token: ${vampire_name} is pretty

There is one other bug, but it should be an easy fix. If you engage in Benny’s thought experiment:

As of now, you wouldn’t put it past Benny to have some kind of DNA-splicing kit in his lunchbox. You make a hasty exit, eyeing $[goblin_name} and his friends suspiciously until you’re at a safe distance.

You need to change one of the brackets for goblin name part.

1 Like

Thanks, @derekmetaltron and @Lys. Found and fixed.

@dashingdon just helped me sort out an issue with the testing version, so that’s up and running again as well. Hooray for the ingenuity of the COG community, or I would’ve been totally helpless when my first plan failed.

6 Likes

Ahhhh just created a Choice of Games account, even though I’ve been playing these for a while, and I have to say I absolutely loved the Monsters of New Haven High demo. Ughhhh…I WANT MORE! Haha keep up the amazing work! Will definitely be checking here for updates :blush:

8 Likes

This Is a very well made game so far as well as i can see keep it up! And also please inform me when you can, when its completely finished so that i can play it over again i love it! Good luck on your work! :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t have a projected timeline as to when this game will be fully finished. My original idea was to write a game that took place over a week, and I have only Day 1 mostly-done. I may be able to condense it into 3-5 days.

In terms of deadlines, one I’ve committed to is getting Day 2 finished for NaNoWriMo (otherwise known as the month of November.) For the next ten days I’m focusing on the remaining bugs and blank spaces of what I’ve finished so far, so I can start November with nothing but new challenges. (Minus the head start I have from any scenes from Day 2 shared with the testing crew.)

20 Likes

interesting sounds good. well i look forward to playing it when you are finished. at any rate good luck on the next day

Hello :slight_smile: this is the first WIP I’ve read and you’ve certainly caught my interest :smiley:

I did a couple of playthroughs and also read through the code. I like reading code.

I played a werewolf and then a goblin, which were clearly the two that appealed to me the most (and, for that matter, the two that I already had character ideas for in my head), though after reading through the code the wendigo is also really intriguing. I didn’t know about wendigos beforehand. (Actually, I tried an incubus run as well, but I couldn’t take the pressure.)

What I most enjoyed was playing against type. So I had a rather nerdy werewolf and a glamor goblin.

NerdWolf just wants to do well in school, luffs everybody, kind of resents that he got into the star athlete role, and has a mega-crush for Loren. (Just as soon as I saw the description of Loren’s personality I was like… yeah, that’s the guy he’d like. I was kind of hoping for interspecies drama, but darned if he doesn’t sound like exactly his type. I can’t wait to find out if his affections are returned.)

GlamGoblin still has the gobliny intellectual side, but he also wants to be the cool, popular, gorgeous kid. Where NerdWolf likes everybody, GlamGoblin wishes everybody would like him. Not really sure where his story might lead.

Having read the code, I think you did an amazing job with describing the wendigo’s hunger… it almost made human flesh sound appetizing, which was… weird.

I also love the MonsterNet dialog on interspecies relationships. Perfection :slight_smile:

Proofready/suggestiony-type stuffs:

I do really appreciate how open-ended the gender+identity+presentation options are. One thing I’d suggest, though… under presentation_disambiguation, the character’s presentation is automatically the same as the chosen restroom, and it’ll be the identity which is different, even though the description under the “it’s not that simple” choices say “you’re _ in identity or presentation.” When making a cis male character with feminine presentation (GlamorGoblin), I started going down the male bathroom route, however. So one additional option under each presentation_disambiguation, to say (using male bathroom as example) “actually I’m feminine in presentation but male in identity” wouldn’t hurt :slight_smile:

I get a little confused by what all the humanity stat is representing. It feels like it sometimes represents identifying with humans v. monsters, but sometimes it feels like it represents compassion. I think this only got weird for me when it led to certain options being grayed out; NerdWolf pretty strongly identifies with his werewolf fellows and ended with a humanity score of 40, without ever having actually been mean in any way, so it felt weird that he was precluded from some of the more compassionate options as a result. (Particularly feeling troubled about Joshua’s disappearance.)

Though when it comes to the identities, when there were all the “how do you feel about being a monster” options, I had him pick “That you can’t change what you are, and you wouldn’t want to. If they hate what they don’t understand, that’s their problem.” However, I could really seem him feeling more like “Yes, I am a werewolf, and I don’t feel any shame about it or desire to be anything else, but I don’t feel like that has to define me as being different from the humans in any ways other than the whole turning into a wolf thing.”

So maybe all this is fiddly and complicated!

The other time that I felt weird about grayed out options was “how do you feel about Homecoming weekend?” The werewolf can’t pick either of the options that express disinterest in the game. But later on (at lunch), it’s totally possible for the werewolf to choose “you don’t even like sports.” So while I’m perfectly keen on the werewolf as a star athlete, I don’t think it’d hurt to allow the werewolf to choose less enthusiastic options at this point. (It’d help roleplay NerdWolf’s reluctance!)

The gym scene uses " *if gender_subtype=“none” " to check for characters who aren’t trans or genderqueer. However, a character who only chose the most cis options at the beginning has “unknown” as the gender_subtype, so they get “For one thing,” appearing without anything else in the sentence. (Happened to NerdWolf. Unless he’s just so distracted by the naked guys that it counts as two things :stuck_out_tongue: )

In the lunch_hour scene, during the conversation with Carl, you have " “That sounds nice,” ${wendigo_name} says politely." Should be ${werewolf_name}.

If the wendigo chooses the clown approach to armwrestling with Carl, well, it’s not written yet, but I did notice in the variables that one of them is *if ((humanity<=35) and the other is *if ((humanity>30), so I’d think you probably want those to match, right?

The fish is a “betta” fish rather than a “beta” fish. Unless Taylor’s fish is part of a pack, I guess, which I really shouldn’t rule out :wink:

And yeah, thanks for writing the fun and also thoughtprovoking story!

8 Likes

Thank you, this is all really helpful! You’ve made my task of editing Day 1 easier. Especially that bug in the locker room scene - it was throwing me, and you nailed the problem. :tada:

1 Like

Loren is basically the only real choice for a male werewolf. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Obviously, though, Hunter is the backup choice, and number one choice for all other characters.

1 Like