Monsters of New Haven High - last update 4/02

Or is you play as a werewolf, your own character will say it

1 Like

If Iā€™m not mistaken, everyone from the known monsters (from the ones that we can choose from, Sandy, etc.) knows that the gym teacher is a werewolf. However, Sandy does say that there is another monster in the school if you play as a demon. Although I donā€™t remember if it was stated to be a teacher tho, I do however suspect that itā€™s a new monster in the town and they will be connected to the disappeared student in a way.

A bit off-topic. Iā€™m not an OverWatch player but the second I saw the name ā€œGenjiā€ in the name choices for the Demon path, that immediately remined me of Genji Shimada from OverWatch. Letā€™s just say that I recreated Demon!Genji with red hair for laughs and giggles. Geez, this sounds like a bad fanfic now that I think about it. Good job regardless, Creator.

Anyway, I remember hearing about a current monster that kidnaps children/people at night. Was it the trolls? I donā€™t remember the name but I remember that the parents used to scare the children by using that particular monster.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s two that I know if that associated with kidnapping/scaring children:

Youā€™d be right in saying about Trolls; itā€™s said that they generally enjoy causing grief and reaking havoc at night (because apparently they are scared of sunlight as it turns them to stone, at least according to some accounts). Anyway, they are allegedly known for kidnapping sleeping babies from their cribs and replacing them with the trollā€™s own offspring.

And then thereā€™s the Bogeyman tales. Parents scare their children by saying the Bogeyman will get them if there are naughty. In some illustrations he(?) is depicted as appearing somewhat troll-like. With like, warts and boils and such.

But yeah, thereā€™s probably loads of cryptid/mythological/creatures of legend associated with children. I suspect itā€™s a popular topic-especially for scaring your kids :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Wasnā€™t the Bogeyman a ghost type of monster that is supposed to haunt families only when they are aware of his existence tho? Or am I wrong?

1 Like

Can we have a rundown of what is added in new updates?

What update? (20 characters)

There is a few other monsters that I can think of as well.

Of course, the dream does mention a coming darknessā€¦what if it was literal? A real creature of shadows.

At least it isnā€™t a valravn (though that could be an interesting monster to track in a different game).

The bogeyman actually varies a lot across countries/cultures. Sometimes it is a physical being, other times a spirit, sometimes in between (like shadows given form). Sometimes it can only be seen by children, or everyone can see it. Sometimes those aware of it are the only ones hurt, other cultures have it as a free actor.

4 Likes

Although itā€™s to be expected considering how long such tales have been told and manipulated, I find it super interesting how the descriptions and beliefs of these beings vary from culture to culture. How something youā€™ve maybe grown up hearing about or believing in, can have been told drastically differently in another country; and someone of the same age on the other side of the world will know the same tales but have their own experiences and understanding of them.

Edit: Ar the risk of deviating from the thread topic, take dragon for example:
As you most likely already know, Western dragons are so much different to their Eastern counterparts, not only appearance but in symbolism too.

In Western mythology dragons have wings and four limbs and were bad omens often associated with destruction and evil. Tales were spun of these these beasts being hunted down and slayed-often to save a princess or a kingdom-by a brave man who, in doing so, becomes a hero.

On the other hand, in Eastern culture these magnificent creatures were often serpentine and regal, with descriptions varying from no legs to maybe even more than four. They were revered and seen as symbols of protection, strength and (at the very least in China) as paragons of imperial power.
Iā€™m sure the idea of killing one would have completely different connotations compared to their Western counterparts.

ANYway, Iā€™m hardly an expert, so Iā€™m most likely not entirely right. But yeahā€¦itā€™s just super interesting :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Wow that is totally true I never thought of that

2 Likes

Reminds me a lot of The Wolf Among Us. Glamours are key factors in the plotline basically. Actually the whole lore of the game reminds me of this story as well.

Yeah, just replace fairy tale creatures with literal monsters, and this is a pretty similar premise to the Fables comics.

1 Like

Pretty much yeah. Such a great game. Thatā€™s probably why I like this one so much too.

1 Like

ā€œCurrent monsterā€ ā€¦ you donā€™t mean Slenderman, do you? Pale humanoid, incredibly tall and long-limbed, little-to-no facial features, wears a suit, extends dark tendrils from his body, menaces children? He was invented by a Something Awful forum poster in 2009 for a contest where people Photoshopped normal photographs to make them paranormal.

ponders

Artemis: Chantal, just remember, I always get even.

Chantal: Then you need to stop betting on odds, darling.

Artemis: Why do you go out of your way to piss me off?

Chantal: Youā€™re beautiful when youā€™re angryā€¦of course youā€™re beautiful otherwise, but the only way I get the time of day from you is to make you mad.

Artemis: blushes

9 Likes

Yeah, I know who Slenderman is but I donā€™t think that the creator will add him because most of the monsters are from legendary mythology. The Slenderman is more of a creepypasta, an urban legend that has been spread around the internet. There are other creepypastas that you might have heard - Ben Drowned, Smile Dog, the Rake, the Midnight Man, etc.

Anyway, we yet have to find out what exactly happened to the student in that night.
I will not lie, I suspected the other races (vampire, demon, windigo) but I came to the conclusion that they arenā€™t guilty (I played the demon path and I know that Chantal hasnā€™t been in that houseā€¦ ā€œwhyā€ do you ask? One of the myths for succubus/incubus says that they often visit their victims at night. This is how the people in the past tried to explain the ā€œSleep Paralysisā€ phenomenon). And by the sound of the other comments, the other races are innocent too.

So uh, is the story still continue ?

1 Like

Hopefullyā€¦

1 Like

I hope so too, I still need to finish my rodent elevatorā€¦

But I hope the maker is okay, I am kind of worried.

1 Like

At this point Iā€™ve probably replayed the game about 20 or so times LOL itā€™s so much fun and the writing is so good, along with itā€™s high replayability (cough, clearly). Tbh I think Iā€™m addicted; my main ā€˜routeā€™ though will always be a mischievous succubus dead set on getting to Hunter. Iā€™ll probably make some fanart soon at this point! & post it here, ofc.

I really hope this continues, looks like the last time @Sashira was seen is just over a month ago (June 11th). I really hope sheā€™s okay too! :((

This stuff takes time, folks. I imagine the writer has to balance school/work plus family/friends all while finding time to write such a big story like this. Kudos to writers on this site and elsewhere, seriously.

5 Likes