Monster Maker (WiP) [updated 4/20/19]

if female , catastrophe! if male :Lucifurr ! :smile:

1 Like

fluffy

6 Likes

Wrinkly it is! Or maybe Sore butt ? Ohh how about Butthurt no? I know…wrappy! :joy:

1 Like

Hey look it’s Cat Eastwood.

6 Likes

fluffy !!!
RIP
Takashi
1999 = 2019
Death by cat name fluffy

1 Like

Pico de Gato is a severely underrated pun :joy:

2 Likes

I love this already

1 Like

Just finished reading it and i already love itt :heart::heart::heart:
Keep up a good job!

1 Like

I’ve played your game and I thing you have something good going on. I’ve really enjoyed.

1 Like

Ok so I’m copy/pasting the update from tumblr in case anybody really hates using it (fair) but I’m also gonna update the original post and demo tomorrow, just kind of pressed for time atm…

Summary

This week, I wanted to:

• do my best to finish chapter three :heavy_check_mark:
  • do my best to post the demo :heavy_check_mark:
  • not sit at my keyboard for more than five minutes without writing something, during my writing time even if it turned out bad and ended up getting tossed :heavy_check_mark:

So take that, Writer’s Block! I knew a couple days off would do some good. The demo was posted on Tuesday (!!!) and I’ve been working on cleaning that up (mostly chapter one, so far) while I wrote chapter four. So this week, I have a lot of nice little green check marks.

• moderate re-haul of Castien’s route in chapter one :heavy_check_mark:
  • so. many. typos. :heavy_check_mark:
  • added character descriptions to their codex entries :heavy_check_mark:
  • changed the stats screen so you can now see a description of your relationship with your pals and the percentage bar :heavy_check_mark:
  • added a few more dialogue options :heavy_check_mark:
  • consistently repeated chosen dialogue options after selection :heavy_check_mark:
  • pretty sure I fixed a bug that made Eloise’s (actually everybody’s, good job @ me) relationship bar disappear :question:
  • less sure but I think I figured out how to implement CJW’s save plugin allowing you to save when you play the demo; we’re gonna find out together though bc since I’m using CSIDE to write it, I can’t use the plugin locally so… :question:
    • ¯_(ツ)_/¯ here’s hoping
  • finished the skeleton of chapter four so it’s ready to be fleshed out and have actual code dropped in :heavy_check_mark:
  • made a silly aesthetic board for Bernie’s cat that I will post when the name’s been picked lol :heavy_check_mark:

Now, these changes (excepting chapter four, which won’t be uploaded ‘til it’s done) aren’t going to show up in the demo until tomorrow when I actually update it; I just wanted to keep you guys in the Friday Loop so you know what’s going on. I will let you all know once it’s actually been uploaded.

I also went ahead and caved on the poly route I was debating on adding. I figure, what’s one more? (Someone remind me I said that the second I start writing it and complaining about giving myself extra work.) So there will be two poly routes available. I’ll be updating that info on the forum post today or tomorrow.

With the additions I made to chapter one (and a few minor ones to chapter three), the word count has gone up about 3000 words, not counting code, so that’s something. I’m gonna do some more work today and tomorrow, then update the demo tomorrow afternoon.

Keyboard keys that can unfortunately be pronounced Officially Dead: e, a, n, s, l, t, r :unamused:

Goals for next week:

• I’d like to get through about a third of chapter four, give or take
  • If I didn’t implement this save system properly, I want to get that done ASAP
  • I’m going to work on adding some character customization options, but I don’t want to front load too much so I’m going to try to spread them out to avoid narrative interruption

Thank you to everyone who has played! Thank you all for sending me messages and spreading posts and talking on the forum and helping me find bugs and typos and just generally helping to make it the best it can be!! I so deeply appreciate the support and encouragement and I am and will keep doing my best to make the game live up to your expectations!! :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

27 Likes

well time go on date with chapter 3

On the save plugin, all you need to do is write these
*sm_init [unique_keyword] | [number_of_slot]

Unique_keyword: any string. Can be the title, can be your name. Used to differentiate a game’s save with another game. No spaces.
Number_of_slot: any positive integer. Theoretically, this should give players save slots as you specified, but in the case of dashingdon.com, you’ll always get 3 due to technical reasons.

Write the code just beneath your *create sections. Go to dashingdon settings, check the SJW’s saving plugin checkbox.

Keep in mind this only enables saving for your dashingdon version. If you want to add the feature in your local PC version, the setup is more… complex.

8 Likes

This makes me feel so much better bc this is definitely what I was doing, but I was giving myself side-eyes the whole time like “this cannot be this simple; you have definitely missed something; what are you doing wrong :eyes:

2 Likes

lel, I’d be the opposite. “Ah, 'tis simple. Write here, and done! Next!”

Voila, label X is specified twice.

1 Like

Ok, the demo has been updated! Along with the changes I talked about yesterday, I’ve also:

• added two customization options (height and eye color) in chapter three
  • added a little personal bit for MC at the end of chapter three
  • consistently repeated dialogue/choices after selection in chapters 2 & 3
  • the save system is working!

If you find bugs/typos/continuity errors/etc, please let me know. I’ve been combing for those missing e’s but…

I hope you have fun! And thank you for your time and encouragement!!
EDIT: I’ve updated the main post with the poly route info :two_hearts:

40 Likes
A few typos I've found now

Also, you okay with fanart? I’d like to make one :yum:

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ve marked those in my notes and I’ll fix them! I feel like the more I read over this thing, the harder they are for me to spot :weary: Thank you for pointing them out!!

And YES?? Yes. I am so flattered? And honored that you enjoyed it enough to want to spend time and effort on art??? I am now having a crisis but in a very good way like Hot Damn :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I am beyond excited to see it!!!

7 Likes

A quick Friday update:

This week’s goals were:

• get through about a third of chapter four, give or take :heavy_check_mark:
  • If I didn’t implement the save system properly, get that done (but I did! :star_struck:) :heavy_check_mark:
  • add some character customization options :heavy_check_mark:

Chapter four is coming along pretty well I think. Still got a broken keyboard, but… stuff’s getting done and I’m trying to be extra vigilant about typos. In other news, I’ve had a lot of fun interacting with you guys on the blog and here on the forum!! Thanks for all the questions and encouragement this week!!!

In more personal news, I’m gonna be driving a uhaul for at least 14 hours tomorrow/sunday, so you probably won’t hear from me over the next two days but once I’m settled in, I’ll get back to my inbox and to writing!

Next week’s goals:

• I’d like to get to the half-way point in chapter 4; I know that’s less than another third, but with everything that’s going on this coming week while I move, I’d rather be realistic and possibly pleasantly surprised
  • I’m going to work in a few more customization options and start thinking about adding those kinds of stats to the stats page. (I’m already keeping up with some, they’re just not visible.)
  • Clean up my outline of chapter five.

Hope y’all have a nice weekend! :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

34 Likes

So this is pretty much how I imagine Castien. I know it sort of conflicts a little with his general mood but it was based on this scene: “Shouldn’t we be focusing on finding the missing people?” Castien asks. He looks almost angry; he sounds angry too. . I hope I got his expression right.!

EDIT: I turned off his freckes layers to fix his nose and only now I’m far from my pc I noticed that I forgot to turn it on again :weary: sorry for this! i’ll upload it fixed tomorrow

EDIT 2: Okay, here’s the real deal :sweat_smile: I hope you like it

9 Likes

I just got situated in a place with internet (moving is the worst) so sorry it took me so long to reply but:

I LOVE HIM SO MUCH I WANT TO HANG IT ABOVE MY DESK
:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
Also that hoodie is very On Brand lol Good choice!

2 Likes