Monarch of Witches (W.I.P.) [Demo 1.0.3]

@Sleepyowl

Thank you! It took me quite a while to figure out what skills should be in it. I didn’t want to few, but I also didn’t want redundant ones or too many either. I’m glad it seems to be a good amount.

@ParrotWatcher
Oh! I didn’t even consider doing that, choosing between a ‘Hard’ mode and ‘Easy’ mode.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it as ‘racking’ before. Then again, I read pretty fast and occasionally miss the full spelling of words sometimes. :sweat_smile: Yup, that’s the gender choice. I was trying to write something that didn’t outright say boy, girl, neither/non-binary. That’s why I avoided a clothing description for the non-binary choice. Hmm, I’m not sure how I could make the magic studies clearer at the moment. I was basing it off of my high school science and college art classes, where we would have one lecture and then a whole bunch of practicals. And darn it! I could’ve sworn I used the right ones for those sentences. Thank you!

@Dark_Stalker & ParrotWatcher

Fun fact! Monarch of Witches was originally a normal, linear, novel that I was beginning to write. The main characters name was a weekday and it was a tradition on their dads side of the family to be named after a weekday, month, or season. The ones you see were originally the actual names of the main character, the main characters two children, and one of their uncles. That’s why I picked those to be the default first names and why Tuesday, Saturday, and Sunday weren’t included. :grinning:

For the honorifics: I’m not sure how I could make it clearer that the MC’s first name is being called. When I graduated, and at other graduations I’ve attended, when someone was called to receive their diploma, they were always called by “Mr/Ms. First Name Last Name”. Sometimes with middle initial stated if there are duplicate, extremely common, names.

@Szaal

Thank you! And don’t worry, I already have a few ideas on how to tie the “die and reload checkpoint” style in narratively. I always thought when it came to CoG or Hosted Games, having a screen that just says something along the lines of “You Died” and that’s about it was kind of whip-lashy, so I’m doing my best to avoid that.

2 Likes

What kind of weirdo would marry a man like that and agree to name their kids with that in mind? What was the family name?

Put a blurb on the name input screen, meta narration isn’t entirely bad. Or maybe a choice that says how you’re being addressed.

I’m more used to Mr. Last, First

Well, they’re both real words. “Racking” means torturing, “wracking” means destroying, so while “nerve racking” is the more usual, technically either could work.

Yeah, but presumably that would be on single aspects of each school, not one single lecture on the whole school. :thinking:

Could be something like:

Mr/Ms:

(Please choose first name)

• Monday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday

And so on.

I may be picky about this but could there be another option for choosing female. I am female but really don’t like dresses and skirts.

3 Likes

My girlfriend is like that too. I don’t understand it myself, I love dresses and skirts but yeah they don’t define being female

1 Like

I’m a tomboy and to me that’s too girly. If I am to wear a dress it needs to form fitting.

1 Like

Lol well she said the only time she’ll wear a dress is our wedding :stuck_out_tongue: Again I don’t understand it, but I still defend her right to wear whatever she wants to, she’s beautiful in anything :heart:

Furry suit? Football gear? Muscle Suit? Fat Suit? A mask with a guy’s face?

Now that I think about it, don’t most places have the cap and gown uniform? Did your high school not have that?

@Dark_Stalker

:laughing: The family name was Phillips. Hmm, for a choice that says how you’re addressed, would it be something along the lines of:

You hear your first name called, followed by your surname.
    -Choice

Or

You hear your first name...
  - Choice
...and last name called out.
  - Choice

Yup, my school did have cap and gown. We were required to wear at least business casual clothes underneath though, since we were allowed to have our gown open, due to how hot it was at the time. Somewhere in the 90°F - 97°F range if I remember correctly.

@ParrotWatcher
Cool, this is good to know! Thank you.

Yup, the way I was picturing it was one lecture on the whole school. And for the rest of the lessons it would be, for example, ‘Okay Students now let’s play with fire for a week straight until no one gets burned!’ Or something along those lines.

That’s a lot easier than the ways I was thinking of doing. :laughing:

@Phoenix_Wolf

I’ll see what I can come up with. My goal for that part is to have gender choices without outright saying something along the lines of ‘Are you a boy, girl, or non-binary?’. A couple of ideas I was considering changing it the female choice to:

• Nervous ‘Stealth’ Adjusting loose/too tight bra strap
  • Nervously trying to adjust heels
1 Like

I’d say the bra strap. Unless the woman is like a negative A cup, every woman will need a bra And it’s not towards a specific “style” of woman. Personally, I wouldn’t want the heels because, like I’ve said up there, I’m a tomboy. I choose comfort over appearance.

Ultimately, it’s your story but the bra doesnt hit on one type of way a woman dresses.

4 Likes

It sounds more natural this way to me compared to the other way.

2 Likes

Demo 1.0.3 is now out and the Changelog has been updated accordingly.

Since I couldn’t sleep, but also couldn’t focus on my university assignments at the moment, I went ahead and made a small update. In this one you’ll begin to see a little bit of Val and Hennie. I’ll do my best to make the next update a big one. I’m aiming to finish Chapter 1 for it.

Oh yeah, I’ve also decided to just call the game Monarch of Witches. It was the working title, but now I still haven’t thought of a better one. This one just gives a clear general sense of what the game is about, in my opinion, so I guess I’ll stick with it. :slight_smile:

Once more, let me know if there are any questions, concerns or suggestions.

8 Likes

Like it so far. Keep up the good work. That said I still don’t think the genderchoice works.

Bra - might work for having breast, but tie is not one 100 percent masculine (A lot of women where ties in formal setting where I come from, and then we are not even touched on the trans issues). When laid together with the fact that the first option was handwringing without clothing and I just didn’t realise that it was a gender choice I came to the thread.

I get what you are trying to do, but don’t be afraid to be on the nose with choices such as gender. Choice like that a mostly for the player’s benefit anyway and it is better to make sure that there is no doubt about them.

7 Likes

Seconded. I was a bit confused until I got to the bra strap over what this choice would do. Never mind the fact that in a public Thing, I try not to fiddle with the strap of my undergarments. ^^’

For a graduation ceremony you could always have them call out “Ms.”/“Mr.”/“Mx.” before your name.

EDIT: Oh, but I like the setup so far! Good luck!

1 Like

Sooooooooooo, I know Mr. Burner isn’t an RO, unfortunately , since his name isn’t in the RO list (or in the stats list), but will we at least be able to have an option in one of the flashbacks stating whether we had a crush on him or not? I ask because already I find him kind of interesting. Not only that, but it could also be an opportunity for the player to reveal whether they are gay, straight or bi (depending on their gender and how they feel about the teacher). Example, a female MC (like mine) who is straight would have a crush on him, but a female MC who is gay wouldn’t have a crush on him (though he would still be her favorite teacher). A male MC who is gay could have a crush on the teacher while a male gay MC wouldn’t (unless the teacher’s gender changes depending on the MC’s?). And for an MC that is bi, you could always say they had a crush on the teacher and a TV celebrity who is the opposite gender of the teacher. But that’s just a suggestion.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with @VioletHikari. I don’t like being forced to have a crush on someone just because they’re the right gender. Maybe it can be an option, though. For instance, the choice could look something like this:

• I’m attracted to men but I don’t have a crush on Mr. Burner.
  • I’m attracted to men and I have a crush on Mr. Burner.
  • I’m attracted to women so I don’t have a crush on Mr.Burner.
  • I’m attracted to both men and women but I don’t have a crush on Mr. Burner.
  • I’m attracted to both men and women and I have a crush on Mr. Burner.
  • I’m not interested in romance in general.

I agree with @DreamingGames, you don’t need to do anything clever with gender choice.

That said, the game looks really intriguing so far and I can’t wait to see more of the world. :grin:

2 Likes

You don’t agree with me, and yet you suggested the very same thing I was trying suggest but changing the words around a bit… :confused:

It sounded like you were suggesting that MC’s who were attracted to men would have to have a crush on Mr. Burner, rather than it just being an option. Sorry if I misunderstood. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I like the concept of the game dude, but can we romance all romanceable characters as one gender or do we have to be a specific gender to romance one of them?

The answer is in the first post under romance options.