(Temporary Cover Art)
What will you do when you discover that rewriting your mother’s unfinished bedtime story creates a plot hole in the real world?
Grab your plot armor and join your twin sibling and friends in a meta-fictional children’s adventure! Explore different story worlds—from fantasy and sci-fi, to mythology and mystery. Will you discover your mother’s secrets? Or will villains, plot twists, and character development prevent you from getting your happily ever after?
- Go on a meta-fictional adventure together with your twin sibling and friends, and explore different story worlds!
- 8 different bedtime story genres!
- Keep track of your choices and relationships with the dynamic stats screen, inventory, and a comprehensive personal diary.
- Meaningful personality stats, customization, and lots and lots of unique flavor text! Your choices will be continuously referenced and mentioned throughout the story, and your character will have different vocabulary, reactions, and dialogue according to your traits and personality stats.
- Two-variable personality points system! This system allows for more accurate personality tracking. If all you’ve picked so far are silly choices, your Silly Meter will be at 100% as early as the prologue!
- Collect trinkets and magical items, and fight legendary creatures such as the Big Bad Wolf and the Lernaean Hydra!
- Encounter weird and adorable companions along the way! Piglets, dragons, and everything mice! Rescue a baby who fell from a stork!
- Complete side-quests: Help out dwarves and halflings in a civil war, join a pirate gang in a post-apocalyptic spaceship graveyard, and solve the mystery of your mother’s secrets!
- Puppy love! Have crushes on your classmates (or those you meet in your adventures), or stay oblivious and just be friends with everyone.
- Musical scenes and unique character art!
- Share your choices and stats screen with other people easily using a code!
- A totally different reading experience in NewGame+!
Hi hi hello hiii!
It’s been a while, and along with countless plot and backstory revisions and me being a snail writer, the rewrite of MWCAPH! is here!
I wrote this story as a love letter to all the kids-at-heart out there, who’d like to revisit their childhood and reimagine it as one big fantasy adventure. It’s light-hearted, it’s whimsical, but I also want to explore the tropes and themes on what it means to be a character in a story.
MWCAPH! was originally written as a traditional novel for NaNoWriMo 2015, and is the amalgamation of all the plot bunnies I had together. If I ever get a new idea for a story, I will find a way to include it here. The story is planned to be a trilogy, but Book 1 is a standalone story in its own right. The story more or less has a complete outline, so now I have a clear idea of what’s going to happen next unlike my first attempt.
What's Changed in the Rewrite?
- Revamped the whole Prologue and Chapter One sequence.
- Instead of writing in a diary to change reality, you, your twin, and your friends now each write a short story during English class. There is still a diary, but it is no longer plot relevant.
- The MC is now 11 years old instead of 10, and will be 12 years old by the end of the story.
- MC’s mother is now a single parent. What happened to MC’s dad is now a separate mystery from why MC’s mother left.
- Both MC and the Twin have a locket now. The gems are now purely cosmetic.
- There’s no more middle ground: Either you want your mother to come back, or not. This is necessary for conflict with your twin. You can still change your opinion later, of course.
- Removed translation options. You should no longer need translations to understand the context of all non-English text. (Hopefully!)
- Roselyna is slightly more huggable.
Your Twin: Your 11-year-old opposite-sex twin sibling. Your twin has a customizable appearance and personality depending on several variables, but they will always have a different opinion about your mother. You and your twin will be 12 years old by the end of the story.
Mommy Maggie: Your mother. She’s the reason you and your twin love bedtime stories so much. She started writing her own bedtime story where you are the two main characters, but she never finished it. She left you and your twin when you turned 4 years old to work abroad, or at least, that’s what she said. She promised to return when you turned 8, but she never did.
Your Father: You’ve only seen your father through pictures, and your mother seems reluctant to tell you the truth about where he is. But she seems to be very sure of one thing: that he loves both of you.
Aunt Julie and Uncle Robert: Your mother’s fraternal and estranged twin sister and your aunt’s husband. Your mother left you with them before she went abroad. They were reluctant at first, but eventually they grew to love you as their own children.
Kuya Patrick: Your 17-year-old cousin. He may be a little irresponsible at times, but he treats you and your twin as his own siblings, mostly because he grew up as an only child. Ever since your mother left, he’s been the one telling you bedtime stories, although he has been busy with school work recently.
Friends 6Ever (MC's Friend Group)
(Work in Progress)
Wayne Dela Cruz
(Male, 11-12 years old)
Preferred Personality: Silly and Stubborn
The group baby. Wayne is an attention seeker who loves teasing his friends. He is the type of friend who will do the stupidest things just because it’s stupid, but he can also be very stubborn when being told what to do. He lives with his single father, after his mother broke up with him. While silly and very playful, he is also secretly a mama’s boy, who wishes to build spaceships, time machines and flying ice cream trucks with his mother.
Wayne is the shortest boy in class, and he says it’s because he’s a leap day baby. He got his nickname when he was little, when he couldn’t pronounce the ‘r’ in rainbow properly. He is a romantic at heart and loves teasing Roselyna. His favorite story genre is fantasy.
Roselyna Del Rosario
(Female, 11-12 years old)
Preferred Personality: Emotional, Reliant, and Precocious
The group mommy. Roselyna’s motto in life is, “Eat, Pray, Hug!”. She loves eating sweets and is a total cuddle bug. Roselyna is emotionally sensitive, and although she likes to please people due to her insecurities, she can be spoiled and manipulative at times. She lives with her religious parents who adopted her since she was a baby.
Roselyna is the shortest girl in class, and likes to describe herself as “huggable and fluffy”. She’s been bestfriends with Wayne since preschool, and wishes she had a brother like him. Her favorite story genre is fairytales.
John Michael Magbantay Jr.
(Male, 10 years old)
Preferred Personality: Disciplined and Sensible
The group daddy and youngest member of the group. Proud class president, grade rep and future valedictorian. JM is an overachiever, hoping to earn his father’s love and trust, who sees him as an unwanted child from his now missing mother. He also lives with his step-mother, and his naughty and nice step-siblings, Brandon and Beatrice.
While he doesn’t like enforcing the rules, he is very strict, and he only tolerates Wayne and Lily’s antics because they’re friends. His favorite story genre is mythology.
(Female, 13 years old)
Preferred Personality: Manipulative and Independent
The de facto leader and the tallest and oldest member of the group, much to JM’s chagrin. She is the class secretary, and acts as the group’s secret-keeper. Lily likes to play detective, and tries to spend as much time as possible away from her adoptive mothers, who don’t want her to find out what happened to her birth parents.
Lily is a bit of an introvert, but she prefers the term, “selectively social”. She has dimples when she smiles, which Wayne likes to make fun of. Her favorite story genres are sci-fi and mystery.
(Male/Female, 11 years old)
Preferred Personality: Honest and Emotional
The group’s nemesis and JM’s step-sibling. A former member of the group, B wants to take revenge on the friends who betrayed them. Brandon and Beatrice are two different characters, but who is which depends on your choice. The other one you don’t pick will be JM’s supportive little step-sibling.
Currently you can have a crush on Wayne, Roselyna, JM, Lily, and Brandon/Beatrice. At least four more will be introduced later.
If puppy love is not your thing, each character has a friendship route too which has similar scenes, so you won’t miss out on anything.
This section will be updated once Chapter Two is complete!
Ma’am Bianes: Your adviser and favorite English teacher. Although she is a little corny and cheesy sometimes, you wish all the teachers would be like her.
Randelle: The resident gossip guy of your class, and one of your seatmates. He’s one of those people who never runs out of stories.
Francesca: The class treasurer, and one of your seatmates. She is usually pretty quiet, but she seems more comfortable when talking to you.
(This section will be updated as more characters are introduced.)
Share Your Twins!
At the end of the demo, you will see a long string of numbers and letters. You can copy this code and enter it into the Character Page Viewer in the demo.
This is an experimental feature I developed to let you share your choices and character page with me and others. Next update I’ll work on making the code shorter and easier to copy (and no longer track every single choice).
Link to the Demo: Mommy, We Created a Plot Hole!
If you enjoyed it (or hated it), I’d really appreciate it if you drop me a like and some feedback. It encourages me to keep doing what I’m doing.
Feedback I'm looking for
You don’t have to answer all of these, of course.
- Do you have a favorite character so far?
- How is the pacing of the story? Is the beginning too slow, or is it engaging enough? Is there too much text or choice one after another?
- Do the personality stats match how you were playing your character? Is there a previous choice you think should be acknowledged? Are the locket notifications too distracting?
- Is the context for the non-English parts clear enough, or did you have trouble understanding them? If so, please specify which lines.
- I’ve left some clues around the story. What do you think happened to the father? Why do you think the twins’ mother really left?
- Tell me your headcanons about your twins! I might just put their interactions in the story! (If it’s okay with you, of course.)
Current word count including code: 77,000+ Average words per playthrough: 22,100~