Mommy, We Created a Plot Hole! [Rewrite in Progress]

Yup! Hell week is currently in full force right now. And thanks! I’ll need it. :stuck_out_tongue:

And nope, I’ll never abandon this project. I owe it to my younger self.

4 Likes

Hi again! I have at most a week left before the hiatus is over!

I know, I KNOW I’m trying to reduce the amount of variables, and I said I wouldn’t do it, but… while I was replotting, I’m definitely starting to consider the idea of being able to play as your twin again. There’s a “We” in the title, after all.

All of my plotting so far only has the MC’s point of view (POV), so with the rewrite, this would be the best time for me to consider adding this option.

It would be a lot of work, but writing two POVs would open up more possible scenes and character interactions. A POV switch when the day rewinds would be a great time for that to happen, for example.

Your twin won’t just be an NPC that follows you around anymore. They’ll get their own character/stats page, so you’d be able to control your twin’s personality rather than just choosing their general personality.

Ask your twin to do something for you! And then maybe troll your MC back! :smiling_imp:

A few things to consider if I go through with this:

• The twin will have less customization options than the MC.
    • The twin will always be the opposite sex of the MC. :boy: :girl: This is final.
    • The twin will always have the opposite opinion of the MC towards the parents. At least initially.
    • I currently have no idea about what to do with the twin’s ROs. Or maybe they won’t have any at all.
  • The POV will always be set for a particular scene, IF both of you are together. No choosing between MC and the twin.
  • The MC will naturally have more scenes. It probably won’t be an even 50/50 split. On the other hand, the twin’s choices will likely have more impact.

So, would you be interested in playing as your twin?

• Yup!
  • It doesn’t really matter to me.
  • Only if I can choose my twin’s gender.
  • Nope, I don’t like multiple POVs.
  • Other (reply with suggestion)

0 voters

1 Like

I think the idea’s cool, and seeing from your twin’s point of view sounds very interesting. It would also serve as a good way to facilitate back-and-forth between the MC and the twin. However, from the sheer number of variables and variations the main MC already has, reactions and choices for all of those aspects will grow exponentially, and customizing the twin would mean an entirely new character to customize things for, and keeping track of two characters at once might be a bit overwhelming to some people.

I just worry that it will essentially be playing two stories in one or writing two stories in one, especially with the level of customization already offered, and that playing as the twin may be imbalanced, especially if

2 Likes

Well, you know, I like torturing myself.

You have a good point about keeping track of two characters. The twin having less POV time is me trying to tone down the number of stuff to add (is it multiply now? :sweat_smile:), but yeah, I think not committing to it fully wouldn’t work out well. :thinking:

And regarding the twin’s choices, I just meant that their choices would have more immediate impact since you won’t be able to control them as much as the MC. But I can see the concern there.

I think I’ll just have to flesh out the twin more.

3 Likes

Or you know you could ask legit twins for help. Now there’s a suggestion

@Alan_Grajeda Well, I’m not asking for help, I’m only asking for everyone’s opinions about multiple POVs. I’m just considering the idea, not implementing it. :slightly_smiling_face:

So far multiple POVs looks like it’s not worth the effort at all. If only the minority is interested with playing even as the twin, then I think multiple POVs is not the way to go. I’m already struggling to get enough interest as it is.

Hello guys! My break is finally here, so I can finally start writing again. Well, after I sleep for a couple days or so.

I’ll invite everyone who gave me useful feedback to a private thread once I finish the prologue. Then I’ll open up a new public thread once I have the new prologue and maybe Chapter 1 tested.

This will be my NaNoWriMo 2018 project, so wish me luck I don’t get writer’s block again!

I was going to post pictures of the clay sculpture of Wayne and Roselyna I made for my school project, but I think it’s ugly, so yeahhh :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hey @Franzinyte how’s the rewrite going?

1 Like

Nooooo :sob: someone resurrected the thread :sob:

Ehem. I was hoping no one would because I didn’t want to make another Post of Disappointment :tm:. School started again and I have an unholy load this term so at this rate the new demo (up till the end of Chapter 2 plus surprise goodies) most likely won’t be done this year. I don’t want to post just the prologue.

Although I’m kind of glad I did the rewrite now instead of later. Rewriting is much harder to do than writing on an empty page, especially if you’re rewriting a story about someone writing in a diary who can’t think of something to write. …Yup.

On the bright side the plot outline is really taking shape now, so when I finally get out of the Chapter 1 slump I promise progress will be a looot faster. I’ve also made a huge development about Brandon/Beatrice. I’m starting to like their character now but I can’t talk about it yet cuz It’s a minor spoiler. Unless you want me to. :smiling_imp:

TL;DR: I freaking hate Chapter 1. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. I need hugs. :slightly_frowning_face:

11 Likes

It’s okay, you’ll get there when you get there! Best of luck to you at school and with the rewrite. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

It will be worth waiting for.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

1 Like

Hello to everyone still following this thread! Did anyone miss me? It’s been last year since my last post. :stuck_out_tongue: Just dropping by to let you know I’m still alive (kinda) and I’ve never forgotten about this.

I’ll finally be free again in February and I hope to finish the new prologue next month. Anyway, I’m going to keep this short and leave you with a teaser poster for my secret project which I’ll show when I finish the prologue… :eyes:

Coming Soon

@MadMinnie @Taylor_Enean This is waaay too late but thanks for the huggles! :hugs:

10 Likes

Hey! Are you okay? Did something bad happen to you? (sickness/injury/medical complications)?

1 Like

Oh, hello there! I appreciate the concern, but not really, thankfully. :blush: Just school stuff and sleepless nights stressing me out. So yup, not okay. Hehe.

2 Likes

Never too late for huggles! :relaxed:

Of course we missed you, glad you’re (coming) back. :smiley:

2 Likes

Aaand I’m free! :tada:

So I have good news and bad news. Good news is I passed all my subjects this term with relatively high grades. Unfortunately, it seems like school doesn’t want to let me write at all, and my current vacation is too short to make any real progress. It’s really frustrating not being able to write.

Right now my priority is to finish Five More Minutes (see my last update post), but it shouldn’t take more than a week now. I’ll try to get as much writing this February, and whatever happens I’ll try to have something up when Roselyna’s birthday comes up. :birthday:

The story’s status has been a real back and forth, and I really hope no one has lost interest. I have a lot of development planned and I hope you’re looking forward to it all as much as I do.

But for now, here’s a little sneaky peek of W&R’s bedroom:

Boopity boop

9 Likes

So…are you going to add pictures like these to the actual game? That would be great.

Um, hello? Is anybody here? :eyes:

Well, I have good news and bad news. Good news is, I’m alive! Well, mostly I was just lurking the forums. I’m very sorry about the radio silence, but I just felt bad giving false promises one after another. I wanted to come back when I’m ready with the new update, but it’s been too long, and I’ll be honest, it won’t be ready for quite a while.

So you’ve probably guessed the bad news. MWCAPH! is in indefinite hiatus right now. I haven’t stopped working on it. Nope, not at all. But progress is turtlish because I have a mammoth cast, a complex plot, and I’m a terrible plotter. And because school. But mostly I blame school.

That said, I really need to focus on school right now since I’m starting my thesis and dividing my attention hasn’t been working out. That doesn’t mean abandoning it, it’s pretty much impossible for me not to think about my story when I’m awake. I feel like I’ve released the demo too soon, but I guess I don’t really regret that since I wouldn’t have known what works, and what doesn’t.

Click if you want to see what changed (no spoilers)
  • Changed MC’s and the group’s backstory.
    • Now with 20% more sense!
  • Changed the over-arching villain’s motivation. Let’s just say it changes a lot.
  • I changed the diary mechanics again. While the time resets were interesting, it caused a lot of plot holes.
    • The bedtime story will now be merged with the diary story to make it less confusing.
    • The diary story influences and runs concurrently with the main plot, so to better fit the episodic nature of the story, it will involve a linear “Chain of Deals” plot.
    • You’ll no longer be able to select from different genres. Instead, you’ll be able to mix and match story elements from different genres.
      • This makes the overall story more streamlined and easier to plan and write. I did this mostly because having 10 different mini-plotlines is just stupid. This was the primary reason holding me up from completing chapter 1. Seriously, don’t do 10 freaking branches right at the start. It’s not healthy.
  • Paddy will also be a part of the group now… if you don’t get separated from him, of course.
    • While this is a children’s adventure, I didn’t want to lose the original vision of the story: a teenager trying to babysit kids while lost in a fantasy world.
  • Lots and lots of changes to the outline.
  • Oh, and most importantly: Roselyna is now chubbier.

Anyway, I hope to see you all soon! Thanks for the 100 likes :heart:, the hugs :hugs:, and all the encouragement! This’ll be my last update post until I have news again. I don’t know when that is.

@Sailendranath_Murmu
Yup! I’ll be adding pictures, but probably in a different art style. It’s from a different (but related) project (It’s an animation for a trailer/teaser!).

21 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.